Too much protein

Options

Replies

• chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Over on protein relative to what? Around 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to shoot for. The MFP default is exceptionally low...

Yep!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I need to increase my protein. I think I only get about 50 grams a day. What are the lowest calorie protein supplements out there, anyone have an opinion?
  • If anyone criticizes, my response is that it is still better than obesity.

I love this!
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    What about going over on fiber?
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can manually set the goals for your desired carb, fat and protein intake. I have mine set for 40, 30, 30.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I go over often and I know many of my MFP pals do as well. I wouldn't worry. Unless of course you're eating like 30g over.

Protein is very important to weight loss!!! So you're doing the right thing. :)
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    You can manually set the goals for your desired carb, fat and protein intake. I have mine set for 40, 30, 30.

Thanks! I just went and changed mine.

Still curious if it's okay to go over on fiber.
  • Lexymom
    Lexymom Posts: 28
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

You can definitely overdo protein. I'm a nurse and this short article is consistent with the current research as far as I know. Your body needs balance. :)
  • Lexymom
    Lexymom Posts: 28
    Options
  • Alba15031
    Options
    I need to increase my protein. I think I only get about 50 grams a day. What are the lowest calorie protein supplements out there, anyone have an opinion?

Most whey protein powders have between 100 and 150 calories per serving. Giving between 25 and 35 grams of protein per serving. A real good way to up your protein intake if you are struggling.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Over on protein relative to what? Around 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good place to shoot for. The MFP default is exceptionally low...

I hear lots of people saying this, but I also hear a lot of people saying 1g per lb of LBM (which seems more reasonable to me). Just curious which it is.
  • duckpond11
    Options

protein powders, low fat cottage cheese, chicken breast, and shell fish/fish are pretty calorically cheap sources of protein (especially the non-oily fish, although those are great for you for other reasons).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I hear lots of people saying this, but I also hear a lot of people saying 1g per lb of LBM (which seems more reasonable to me). Just curious which it is.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some say LBM, some say total body weight. Some say 0.85 per, some say 1.0 per. If you're in the ballpark, you're fine. :)
  • duckpond11
    Options

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some say LBM, some say total body weight. Some say 0.85 per, some say 1.0 per. If you're in the ballpark, you're fine. :)

Well - for me it's not small. I have about 133 pounds of LBM, but I weigh 217 (yes, I am FAT!!). I can eat 133g, but 217??
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have gout so meat is bad bad bad. Doc says i should focus on 2 oz a day max :) I fail at that, every day :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any thoughts on if too much protein is bad or not condusive to weight loss? I eat a lot of protein it seems, as I am always over on it. I eat greek yogurt in my morning smoothies, chicken, etc. I love the foods I am eating, and am still losing, but was curious if I am hurting myself at all and should cut some protein out? Thanks for the help! :happy:
    I am eating high protein, because it's conducive to my goals.

And too much of anything good becomes bad. Excessive protein can harm kidneys, but it really takes a lot before that happens.
    Just know what your specific needs are based on your goal expectations, and roll with it.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I was reading through everyones post first, and yes this is true! agree.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on if too much protein is bad or not condusive to weight loss? I eat a lot of protein it seems, as I am always over on it. I eat greek yogurt in my morning smoothies, chicken, etc. I love the foods I am eating, and am still losing, but was curious if I am hurting myself at all and should cut some protein out? Thanks for the help! :happy:

And too much of anything good becomes bad. Excessive protein can harm kidneys, but it really takes a lot before that happens.
    Just know what your specific needs are based on your goal expectations, and roll with it.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Actually, it depends on your weight goals.
    IF you are just maintaining your current body weight and body composition, using the MFP guidelines is fine.
    IF you are trying to tone up and/or build muscle without losing weight, you should shoot for 1g protein per every lb of LEAN body mass.
    IF you are trying to lose weight, you should shoot for 1g protein per every lb of TOTAL body mass.

So, for example, I am trying to lose weight. So 9 months ago when I began a low-carb high-protein diet I weighed over 300 lb so I ate at least 300g protein per day. Now I've lost over 50 lb, so I've cut back to 250g per day.

Your body can use carbs for energy. It prefers that. But if it is denied carbs, it turns to burning fat & protein. The chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids (protein). It's like a fire that requires both fuel and oxygen, and without both, the fire won't burn. So in order to burn fat, you need to make sure and eat plenty of protein to keep the reaction going. If you don't eat enough protein, your body will harvest it from your muscles and you'll lose muscle mass as well as fat. And you don't want that!

Don't worry too much about going over your protein goals or getting "too much" protein. If you have some pre-existing liver or kidney problems, then processing large amounts of protein may stress those organs. And for a severe diabetic who takes insulin, too much protein may throw off the metabolic balance. But for a normal, healthy person, there's no risk.

Protein, carbs and fat can all be used as energy to power your body (calories). BUT protein is also a basic building block for your muscles. Protein is also very difficult to store. I won't go into the biochemistry, but let's just say that while your body likes to store fat and carbs, under most circumstances excess protein will not be stored. So if you eat a lot of protein, most of the excess will either be used to build muscle or will just pass on out of the body.

Hope this helps clarify things!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Do keep in mind that protein, especially animal protein (meat, poultry, fish, dairy), is high in calories and the only nutrients you get from it is protein and B vitamins. There is way more nutrition (vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients) and way fewer calories in vegetables. So why not eat more in volume/weight each day to keep you feeling full longer, while maintining your daily calories?

This article talks about link between too much meat and diabetes: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-pooled-data-from-12-different-studies-high-meat-intake-increases-diabetes-risk.html

Yeah, I read that study too, but, it's read meat that is associated with an increased risk of diabetes, not all meat.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=red-meat-diabtetes
    Don't worry too much about going over your protein goals or getting "too much" protein. If you have some pre-existing liver or kidney problems, then processing large amounts of protein may stress those organs. And for a severe diabetic who takes insulin, too much protein may throw off the metabolic balance. But for a normal, healthy person, there's no risk.

I agree.

The only problem I can see is if someone reserving calories for protein-rich foods to the exclusion of a balanced diet, they're not going to get the nutrients from some of the good low protein foods - vegetables, fruit, grains, etc.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sorry, NO (never proved if your kidneys were OK before starting more protein). :)
    Yes (again never proved 100%) for people with kidney diseases.