orville redenbacher is a liar.

Options
2»

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    pretty sure all popcorn labels are like that. i hate it too, hubby and i had a very long discussion about it one night lol i pretty much ignore the unpopped state and just measure out a serving after its all popped heh

But THAT is my exact question ---> They have TWO values for a "serving" - 4 cups vs 1 cup.
    they kinda do - but i think we decided that the cooked amount they give (1 cup) would be more accurate than the uncooked to cooked assumption? lol i dunno. id have to ask when he gets home.
    the eaiser way i suppose would be to get an air popper and pop your own heh. ive actually been considering that one myself
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Just make your own popcorn. It's far less confusing.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you one thing: Those zombie ads of his freaked me the **** out!

orville-707825.jpg
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Look up the smart pop 100 calorie bags....it says on the info for them...that they are 110 calories. :laugh:
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are some strange people out there who eat kernels of unpopped popcorn - those are higher in calories. I wonder if Orville were trying to provide info for both unpopped kernels and popped? Dunno.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options

orville-707825.jpg

what do you think he's rocking out to?
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    The statement of "just put down such and such, it's less confusing" ... totally not my issue here. I know what I have to do. I tried to explain i was just bugged by not understanding orvile's logic - that's all.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

orville-707825.jpg

LMFAO party rock duh
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good in math, I was a math major. I'm also good at reading nutrition labels. But Orville Redenbacher is ~screwing~ with my head right now and I can't, for the life of me, see where my thinking is flawed. To me, this label is flat out wrong.

Amount Per Serving = "1 cup popped"
    Servings Per Bag = "2.5"
    Serving Size = "2 tbsp unpopped (makes 4 cups popped)"

WTF? I'm pretty sure 1 cup doesn't equal 4 cups.

How can Amount Per Serving ~not equal~ Serving Size? How much is in a freaking serving? 1 cup or 4 cups?

What am I missing?

DUDE. I ***** about this ALL THE TIME. My wife is tired of hearing about popcorn.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Just make your own popcorn. It's far less confusing.

This does not fix the problem. I buy orville's big jar/jug (WTF do you call those things) of raw popping corn, and have the same discrepancy.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to figure out the calories in a bag of popcorn. I don't get it either... I make it easy and just stick with the 100 calorie bags.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good in math, I was a math major. I'm also good at reading nutrition labels. But Orville Redenbacher is ~screwing~ with my head right now and I can't, for the life of me, see where my thinking is flawed. To me, this label is flat out wrong.

Amount Per Serving = "1 cup popped"
    Servings Per Bag = "2.5"
    Serving Size = "2 tbsp unpopped (makes 4 cups popped)"

WTF? I'm pretty sure 1 cup doesn't equal 4 cups.

How can Amount Per Serving ~not equal~ Serving Size? How much is in a freaking serving? 1 cup or 4 cups?

What am I missing?

Has anyone measured the kernels to see if the unpopped amount equals 1.25 tablespoons? If 2 tablespoons makes 4 cups and there are only 2.5 servings per bag wouldn't that mean that there should be 1.25 tablespoons of kernels in the bag? ARGH! Now you're going to make me go crazy with it and I HATE math!
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Riiight....And every brand is different. I eat a lot of home made popcorn, not all about the microwaved kind at all but I do love my homemade popcorn!!! When you measure the kernels and pop them, each brand yields VERY different results for how much it pops. Orville's are much bigger popped kernels than generic brands, so it's really nearly impossible to measure. And most people don't realize when you actually measure it how little a 1 cup serving of popped popcorn is. When I track it here, I go by the unpopped kernels, if you look at my diary for last night actually, you will see how I log in. Accurate? Who knows, but it's there!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

orville-707825.jpg

LMFAO party rock duh
    Everyday I'm shuffling.
  • pmiller0324
    pmiller0324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just eat pretzels.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    NVM
  • Dubsteppin
    Options
    I just randomly came across this and had to sign up just to respond to y'all. Anyways here's the math below, just a ill critical thinking thanks to my continuation high school GED and one semester/ 2 classes at las positas city college. Macro Econ & Health 101

It's 2.5 servings per bag and a serving is 2 tbsp unpopped which 2 tbsp unpopped makes 4 cups popped. DONE

Then they deceivingly and randomly suggest "HEY" if you go ahead and just have one cup of this ish popped, what ends up being like a handful of popcorn (who eats one cup of popped popcorn?) this is the nutritional breakdown which they list in a separate column and is based solely for 1 cup of popped and has nothing to do with the actual "serving size" .... they put this there to confuse, mislead, and mix you up into thinking the "amount per serving" could be or have something to do with the actual "serving size". But it's not, it's just the nutritional facts of one cup popped disguised with the misleading name of "amount per serving" If they listed the servings per bag based on the "amount per serving" the servings per bag would = 10 or 10 cups popped.

Amount per serving = 1 cup popped ****NOTHING TO DO WITH SERVING SIZE OR SERVINGS PER BAG****

Servings per bag = 2.5 ****TOTAL BAG SIZE = 5 TBSP UNPOPPED or 10 CUPS POPPED*****

Serving size = 2 tbsp unpopped (4 cups popped) ****THE ACTUAL SERVING SIZE****

This bothered me too when looking at the box it made no sense.

I thought they regulated these labels and that they were supposed to be clear and easy to read. Doesn't look like they're lying but if you've seen the label you might know what I'm talking about.

Maybe my point came across in what could of been answered by a simpler explanation