Eating clean for beginners

Options
13»

Replies

• smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    this is one of my goals this year......eating clean
    (gotta start small & work into this w/my hubby though)

I think the only things I'd have troubles with sometimes are bread, pasta & ice cream :(

There is alot of really good info here....I'm going to check it out....thanks!
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • firefliesmaria
    Options
    thats great!
  • Xandralexa
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately. Thanks for bringing up the topic, these are some great tips.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Is cheese, yogart, milk, and white/brown rice processed? I guess all breads would be considered processed, right?

Bread can be fantastic! If you don't like making your own find a really good bakery. I have a recipe that uses cracked wheat and wheat berries. Making your own can be really fun, very healthy and worth it just for the smell.

Dairy really depends on what kind, where it's from and what's in it. I can get yoghurt from the chain grocery with cornstarch and jam made very far away or I can get goats milk yoghurt with real organic fruit made down the road a bit. They are different things. Same with cheese. White rice is one thing but brown rice is a grain. I don't like GMO's.

I agree. I stay away from GMOs, too. Bad stuff! I found a bread that only has 5 ingredients in it...fresh ground organic whole wheat, yeast, water, oat bran, and salt. They sell it at Whole Foods here and it is made by a local baker. Delish! It can be very challenging to find clean bread...especially if you are at big chain grocery stores. Try a health food store if you can.

Dairy- I have to read all labels...there is always some funky ingredient in things! I am eating plain greek yogurt at the moment. That is the cleanest I can get for now. Rice- read the label...brown is better than white :) Hope this helps!

Thanks to you both! What is GMO's??
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I'm a student and so I'm always on the go. Does clean eating include granola bars as well? Like Kashi, Fiber One or Special K's?

Clean eating means having to read all ingredient labels. You will find that those granola bars may be processed and contain ingredients that we don't necessarily know what they are or where they come from. If you do eat packaged foods, make sure the ingredients are whole, real, and few. Try Larabars. They only have fruit, nuts, and sometimes chocolate chips in them and they are still edible!

For anyone that wants more info, try these sites:
    100daysofrealfood.com
    thejoyofcleaneating.com
    thegraciouspantry.com (as previously mentioned)
    Clean eating magazine
    Tosca Reno books and websites
    and the MFP group

I have been eating this way for a while now and feel so much better...and have lost weight, too :)

Thanks!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been hearing lots on posts about eating clean, so where as a complete beginner or newbie to the idea of clean eating can I find more information as I'm struggling to find information online,

Thanks
    Nikkei x x
    Lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts and whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies.
    If man makes it, don't eat it.

That's eating clean.
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    GMO= genetically modified food
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    clean ad green foods are just full of flavour, they dont make me miss bad foods at all, nothing better than a colourful plate :-)
  • crunkpunch
    Options
    I've recently started getting into clean eating as well. I have Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet cookbook and love it! I haven't found a recipe that I don't like. She has many books, some of them strictly recipes and others explain how to get started on the diet.

I'm trying to slowly get there. I used to never eat packaged foods or fast food, until I met my boyfriend! I'm working on my nutrition first, then I'll slowly start feeding him better foods!