Staying on track at Disney??

Options
HELP! We are headed to WDW at the end of February for 5 days and I am freaking out about how I will manage. We are not buying the Disney meal plan which will hopefully help me not feel like I have to eat since I paid for it. Any tips or advice? I think I am the most worried about not having nutritional info for the foods and not being able to "scan" foods on my iphone. Thanks!

Replies

• Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Well one good thing is you will do a lot of walking. No recommendations on particular foods as I haven't been there in awhile.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We go to Disney a lot :D I'm starting to twitch because it's been almost a year since our last trip ;-)

I agree with the above poster... you walk a lot. We've done Disney with and without the meal plans, and no matter what I ate, I never gained, so I say don't worry about it too much. But there's LOTS of healthy stuff to choose from, so if you're making healthy choices most of the time, the cheat meals WON'T matter.

Go, have fun, and don't worry too much. Just think portion control, and you'll be fine!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    first of all, that sounds like tons of fun, i may be a bit jealous right now!
    i haven't been to disney in years...do they check your bags at the entrance? if they don't, i would suggest pre-packing some light snacks to keep you going throughout the day! things like almonds, even some pretzel sticks or those special k thin crisps. i'm sure there are healthy options for meals (there's gotta be some i would hope!), so for me, i'd likely be worried about how to stay away from the food stands in the park!! even if they did check bags, i'm sure you could somehow conceal something small like a bag of almonds.
    to avoid pop and delicious drinks, you could also bring crystal light packets to add to water to give it a little something extra!
    hope that gives you some inspiration!! good luck and more importantly - HAVE FUN! even if you do go for a treat, don't feel guilty, you're on vacation!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are allowed to bring your own food, as long as there"s no alcohol and no glass bottles...We packed our own lunches and snacks and water, saved a bunch, ate healthy and the ice cold cut up watermelon (small ice pack in lunch bags) was better than anything they sold on a hot August day..... Have fun!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'd bring a watch HRM if I were going, just to find out how many calories walking all over that huge place and standing in line burns. I bet it's thousands.
  • Tianna73
    Options
    We go all the time. Just got back 3 weeks ago. Eat what you want. It's Disney! The walking will burn off a ton of calories. You will probably get full faster then you think. Eat slow, and when you are full stop even if you still have food on your plate. Are you doing mainly quick service or sit down? You can bring food if you want, Disney allows it. I have never gained at Disney and I usually do the dining plan where it's a ton of food. Have a Magical time!

Edited to add: Notice my hidden Mickey in my profile picture?? :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'd bring a watch HRM if I were going, just to find out how many calories walking all over that huge place and standing in line burns. I bet it's thousands.
    That seems a bit high. Walking around at a slow pace burns a bit, but I'm pretty sure "standing" doesn't count as exercise.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Walk a lot and common sense should help.

On a fun note, the Dumbo ride is awesome. I strongly suggest it.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If its anything like Disneyland they'll have lots of fruits and water you can pick up at carts to snack on. Eating those plus walking around being active for the day you should be just fine. Actually some of the time I always had a weight drop seemed to always been a day followed from a trip to Disneyland LOL.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My only input is this: Tea Cup Ride.

You are welcome.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Ah, Disney. I live in Orlando so I do worry about this when I go to the theme parks... which is quite often :D

As others have already pointed out, don't worry so much about counting the exact calories; just make healthy choices. They always have salads, fruit cups, etc. If you stick to those kinds of things (and small portions) you'll be totally fine. The walking DOES make up for it, trust me!

Have a blast on your trip!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I would pack your own snacks, and then make the best choices available at meal times.
    I would also take at least one meal to order whatever you want. As has been mentioned before you will be doing a lot of walking so you are going to burn some major calories. Plus it's a vacation, live a little :)
  • jen0731
    jen0731 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We have season passes to Disney and go a lot. They do have fruit and healthier food options. We normally pack a lunch with us so I can control some of my food. We each bring a bottle of water in so we can refill it at the water fountains. You do a lot of walking so that will help and just keep drinking lots of water to help too.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Last time I went we ate grapes and apple slices as our side order instead of fries (yeah it was still a burger or chicken tenders) but that wasn't really to watch calories but rather to limit greasy food in the heat of May. A lot of the places have lighter and vegetarian options especially in the foreign section of EPCOT.

And it's Disney.. HAVE FUN :)
  • deethinks
    Options
    omg i just got back from there and i managed to stay strong :)

1. You will be having so much fun that you won't really focus on your hunger and will most likely eat when you feel hungry
    2. It's easier and cheaper if you bring your own snacks because snacks there are pretty pricey :p but if you bring your own you can bring healthier stuff
    3. you will be doing a lot of walking and standing which will pretty much burn off what ever you eat :)

I hope you have fun, that place is truly magical :)
  • ktina08
    ktina08 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pack your food in one of them backpack coolers. That's what I do that way I know what I'm eating
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Watch your portions, make "healthier" choices, and remember you walk TONS!!!

And have fun! (jealous...)
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When we go...we alwasy pack a lot of snacks to go with us so that we can eat on that. We did eat lunch there but just tried to find a "better" choice. We also had a really good breakfast to keep us going.

Plus remember you will be doing TONS of walking and stuff so in the end you will probably be ok. Good Luck and have a blast.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When we went recently, I decided that I wasn't going to watch what I ate at all.

What we noticed was that even though I wasn't consciously making choices like I would at home, overall I was eating a TON healthier than I used too.

And I was working out ALL the time before we went... so I was worried about that... nope, all the walking we did was a workout itself. I ended up losing 2 lbs while we were there. Haha.

So, focus on the fun, but if you're super worried, listen to some of the other suggestions like packing healthy snacks and you should be fine.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    when I go away I still stick to my general plan but relax a little bit on my exact tracking. I am mindful of what I eat but don't freak out if I can't scan or track exactly. I just estimate. Just make good choices and if you splurge on dessert or something try to plan it so you don't feel too guilty. I always share or do the 3 bite bite rule. Chew slowly and enjoy it all.