Any Recovered Binge Eaters? Recovering Binge Eaters?

Options

Replies

• Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Yup I am a binge eater there are days when I lose control and go over 3500+ I am trying to control it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am a recovered binge eater, and I can completely relate. It's about getting back on the wagon after you fall off. Food is an addiction, and just try and keep at it.

It may help you to read about my journey in my blog, you are not alone.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't even know this was a thing, but it's definitely something that would describe my eating patterns. Oh my god, this explains so much.... Can we be friends please?
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of recovering from binge eating. I was diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) in large part because of my binge eating habits. I've gone through cycles of extreme restricting and binging/purging too but binging in general is my biggest issue. I've always eaten my feelings as well out of boredom. But I'm doing better than I ever have before and truly believe I'm on a road to recovery. I'd be happy to offer support to anyone so feel free to add me. :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think a huge part of overcoming this eating disorder is to forgive yourself. I know all about hating yourself during and after a binge, but one thing that has helped me has been not to beat myself up when I fall off the wagon. I think when I use to hate myself during and after a binge, my negative emotions kept me binging. The food helped me feel better. Once I started to forgive myself the unstopable urge to eat and eat and eat started to lessen.
  • clancy1959
    clancy1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Totally get the 'binge thing'...... I am one of those people. Its amazing how we can eat uncontrollably and then turn it around by being in complete control of what goes in our mouths and loose weight..... Why do we do that?

Does anyone have answers?
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a binge eater. Not recovered either, but certainly working on it. I can easily eat and eat and eat. As well as binges I also suffer from the problem where if I have something to eat which takes me ovewr my calorie allowance I tend to think, oh well, might as well keep eating, and then easily clock up 6000+++ calories over the rest of the day. It started when I was a teenager and started having money of my own. I would go to the supermarket and buy bags full of food and then sit in my room and eat the lot. As I got older I would feel guilt about it and hate myself for doing it, but I still would. I've always struggled with 'feeling full'. For me it's all psychological. I either feel hungry or stuffed to the point of being sick. All these things you read about eating until you feel satisfied really eludes me.
    I lost aroung 140lb a few years ago and got to my goal weight with weight watchers. But, once at goal things fell apart. I started to suffer with depression and my binge eating got worse again. As a result I re-gained around 100lb. I started here in June last year and I still have days when I binge, but they are fewer and farther between. But friday I started a binge. However, I managed to control it, and I am everso pleased that I did. We had decided to have fish and chips for dinner. That would have taken me right up to my cals, so I thought 'sod it'. My husband left to go to the chippy. Immediately I got out a box of chocolates that I got for christmas and ate 4. Then I went to the kitchen and got out a crunchie bar and stuffed that away. It's not just the eating of the high calorie foods, it's the eating it so fast, not even tasting it. But then I thought, hang on. Why are you doing this to yourself. And I stopped there. I recorded it too on my daily calories. Because i'd eaten that chocolate too I didn't even enjoy my fish and chips so much, which was a shame. I am going to try and remember that feeling next time I want to binge.

I am always happy to accept more friends with this issue so that we can help and support each other.
  • Bets527
    Options
    Two really good books that have helped me are by Geneen Roth: "When Food Is Love" and "Women, Food and God". I have read them twice now and keep them on hand for reference. She seems to know what's behind this craziness and is quite witty as well. She has helped me understand the reasons why we stuff our feelings down with food and explains compulsive eating. I highly recommend her books as they've done a world of good for me. :)
  • Lordservnt
    Options
    My name is amanda and I'm a binge eater. I've been battling eating disorders for 15 years. It started out as eating vegitarian, then graduated to not eating for days at a time. I was on the verge of being hospitalized for malnutrition when I started to eat normally again. I quickly ballooned and put on 50 pounds. I got scared. I would eat normally and/or calorie restrict for a week or so, then spend an hour or day eating everything I could get my hands on. Heaven forbid there were left overs. I was still exercising and able to maintain my weight within 10 pounds for a couple years. Then I stopped exercising and my binges got longer and more frequent. 100 pounds later I got scared and started dieting. I made it 2 months with out a binge. splurged on my diet which triggered a major binge (viscious cycle of having a small "treat" and sparking an all day binger, already messed up my day why stop now). I have tried every diet I have come across. I finally thought I had conquered my demons (with therapy and behavior modification) and dropped 80 pounds in 6 months. I got uncomfortable with my new body and started to splurge once in a while. At first it wouldn't affect my weight so I would brave a few more treats, then more and more until I wake up one morning 60 pounds heavier. I'm now on Wellbutrin and after further counseling I am on my way to recovery. I am struggling today to not 'reward' myself for finally getting under 230. "what's one biscuit going to hurt...." I've learned to just take one meal at a time. I try to divert my attention to something else. When I feel a binge coming on I'll take my dog for a walk. If I still feel like eating after 1 trip around the block, I walk around it again. I don't take money with me because I only live 1/2 block from the store. Good Luck on your journey, I have faith that you all can conquer this!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering binge eater. I want to say 'recovered', because I've been doing this for 15 months now and I have it under control, but I supposed I'm never going to say 'recovered' because even though I eat sensible portions and resist the junk food, there's often something in the back of my mind going 'have a big pizza, loads of chips and a huge bag of chocolate...go on...'.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of that, but I've learnt to keep it under control.
  • LMDelphia
    Options
    Hello! I was a somewhat extreme anorexic but would randomly binge (it was like i couldn't help it and couldn't stop once i started, I became a zombie). This got worse while getting better; I knew I needed to eat more regularly rather than not much at all and going all out and all out of control sporadically, but I was starving and had developed a really weird relationship with food. I thought these binges would even help my metabolism! Ha! Now I am considered to be at a healthy weight and box a lot (I'm actually quite high on my scale but I'm really fit and working hard on it). It's been a year of effort, of working out, of eating healthy foods and enough of them, of living with friends (which helps because I used to binge primarily by myself). I am honestly ok now. I am now where I would like to be but I am getting there and continue to progress. Everyone is different. Don't stop trying!
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a binge eater. I can go for weeks eating decent food in decent quantities and then BAM! I'm stopping at McDonald's twice in one day. At one point I was able to eat 3 or 4 sandwiches, fries, and a drink in one sitting. Then one day I was sitting there eating said sandwiches and I thought to myself "there is NO WAY that I am really this hungry." I'm now learning to separate hunger from that good feeling of eating food that tastes REALLY good. :) It's like have one too many to drink versus getting wasted. That one extra drink gives you that nice buzz and leaves you relatively unscathed. (No driving of course :) But then you keep going - and it doesn't feel good anymore. In the case of food you gain weight, feel bloated, nauseous, tired. It's just not a good feeling. So I focus on that - the after effects - instead of how awesome it seems to be as I'm doing it. It's an addiction, really. But for me, focusing on the negative after effects is what keeps me from going back. I slip sometimes, but as I'm going, those slips are happening less often. Prayer keeps me focused, too.

Feel free to add me - anyone - if you deal with the same stuff. :)
  • jubennett27
    jubennett27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    After a year of suffering with Binge eating disorder i was finally diagnosed and given help. It was by far the worst bout of it i have had as it has been a problem on and off since i was about 8 years old. I have also been anorexic as a teen and early 20s. After 2 years of binge eating and nearly a year in cognitive behavourial therapy i am slowly coming out the other side. Its still early days but i have lost 10lb since 1st January, im praying i can keep the disorder at bay, im hopeful with the continuing psychiatric help. It really is the loneliest, toughest disorder to work through. It nearly killed me so i am with all of you women for support. Add me if any of you would like support :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering binge eater. I want to say 'recovered', because I've been doing this for 15 months now and I have it under control, but I supposed I'm never going to say 'recovered' because even though I eat sensible portions and resist the junk food, there's often something in the back of my mind going 'have a big pizza, loads of chips and a huge bag of chocolate...go on...'.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of that, but I've learnt to keep it under control.

I can so relate.. I have the same food triggers. Right now I'm in control, which is an awesome feeling. The food isn't really calling to me as I'm driving home from work (which is usually when the food demons would haunt me), but I'm not out there socializing much these days either. Work, gym, home... that's about it. Ironically I joined OA about ten years ago to try to deal with my eating disorder, weight and all that, and I'd leave those meetings WANTING to binge. I found it to be a depressing environment because everyone was crying about their failures or triggers or whatever was bugging them every week and I saw little in the way of what I deemed recovery. (I'm not knocking OA, it's helped a lot of people, it just wan't for me.)

The weird thing is, I'm having trouble eating all my calories every day. I feel full and not really in the mood to eat that much. But right now this is all working for me, and that's a good thing.
  • rachelrae215
    Options
    Wow - reading through this has been so encouraging for me! Thank you for this! I am definitely a binge eater although I have always been too embarrassed to mention this to anyone as I have never met anyone with similar problems. I will follow a 1200 diet for 1-2 weeks and then binge like crazy (Whole loaf of homemade bread and/or tray of brownies, etc that I will eat in secret). I will feel sick and full and still eat more. I have the strongest desire to be fit and I actually love to work out (typically train for and run 2 half marathons a year) and enjoy making healthy food (eat and cook sugar free vegan for myself and family most of the time) so it is super embarrassing that I have this problem and can't get a handle on my weight. I typically fluctuate between 130 and 145 lbs but recently ballooned up to 156 which terrified me. I would love to be 125 lbs which is what I was at one time before I had kids - it felt absolutely amazing and I would love to return to the feeling of feeling comfortable in my own body. Help!
  • rachelrae215
    Options
    I am just practicing putting my ticker on signatures. Do I have to copy and paste the code each time?

13409719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater. Last year I had depression, I made myself feel better by eating anything I could get my hands on when no one else was in the house. I ate slices and slices of bread, bowls of cereal, cookies, even fruit. I chew chocolate biscuits and then spit them out. I was such a mess.
    I'm really happy to say I've overcame my binge eating, and I did it by joining MFP, telling my parents what was going on (they had to hide the food in the house from me). Just by asking for help made such a big difference. I haven't binged since before last summer :) you can do it.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm recovering from BED. I was always an overeater but about five years ago it got out of hand and descended into full on bingeing (like, 5000 kcals in a single sitting on top of my day's meals... and the meals were all pretty big, too). When I first tried to recover I kind of slipped to the other extreme and began starving myself (back to back 4- or 6-week water fasts with the periodic week of full-on bingeing). Now I'm trying to recover from *both* by doing that "moderation" thing everyone keeps talking about :P Doing pretty well so far, but always looking for encouragement and always happy to encourage!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you can add me to the list
    I use food to self medicate and binge for most emotions suffering from depression has only added to the problems

at the moment I have had the last two weeks binge free
    I feel very much in control at the moment
    I havent hidden an food or got up to eat in the night during that time

its nice to read of so many that have managed not to binge
    I am really hoping that this being a lifestyle change and not a diet will enable me to stay firmly in control
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!