1200 Calories?!

Options

Replies

• Fitniche
    Options
    I have been working out and using MFP fof 5 weeks. My calorie intake is 1310 and so far ive lost 6 pounds!! This app works if you use it daily. Good luck on your journey!!
  • Fitniche
    Options
    Im 5"9 and start weight was 203. My cal intake is 1310 and i work out 5x week. Im 5 weeks in i lost 6lbs and i try to get a lot of protein and fiber also i do small meals throughout the day so i dont get hungry and over e.
    I think a balance of the right foods will keep you satisfied through the day.

Also when you track youf calories burned through exercise you can eat more calories. Its a good treat!!!
  • skaupanger
    Options
    i have been doing 1200 a day since mid nov and i have only lost 3 lbs :( the last 10 days i was eating over 1200 and i put back on 1.5, so down i go again.... it's so hard for me and i am exercising too and eating back my calories but i'm not getting anywhere...

Ditto. It's really hard. It's like my body is comfortable at 1200 and just wants to maintain my currents weight with this number of Calories.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hello, I do 1200 calories a day and working out a little and I have lost 9 pounds since January 2nd.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    im doing 1200 calories and well i have lost 3.5-4 because keep going up and down and thats since december 15th 2011
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I'm suprised at all you 1200 a dayers. I'm 5'7" 128lbs and I'm at 1650 I run and do insanity and p90x. Maintance for me is 2150. But I guess if I wanted to lose 2lbs a week I'd be at 1150. But I think I'd be hungry at that low.

i'm 5.2 and weigh more then you......so that makes a difference, maintenance for me at my current weight is 1580
  • CoachingMom
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' and 125:smile:
  • jessielil
    jessielil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The rate at which you lose weight depends upon how much weight you have to lose. If you have lots of weight to lose .... it will come off more quickly. If you are close to your goal (say 10 pounds) ..... the slower it comes off (like 1/2 pound per week).

I typically eat 1400 calories per day because I eat back my exercise calories. I choose to eat my calories back because I want to build muscle (or at least keep it) .... too many years of being inactive for me.

Thank you! That's good to know. I have about 7lbs left and I was getting frustrated with how it's slowed down. I lost 10lbs in a month of eating 1200 calories and not exercising. It's been awesome!
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 1200 calorie diet since September and have managed 51 lbs as of Wednesday. I do exercise so on the 'hungry' days I try to still keep under 1200 with a little room created by the exercise, but on most days the exercise is just extra. Over the time I've been losing it has averaged about a 1/2 lb a day though it varies week to week from 2 to 5 lbs.

Someone posted about protein and fiber and those are key. I'm also supplementing with a multivitamin and calcium to make sure I get all that I require since the food is limited.
  • KimThiemann
    KimThiemann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mines say 1700 calories..i feel like that is a lot? is that normal?

The aount of calories the MFP says you can have is based on your current weight, height and weight loss goals. I am at 1700 too and like it!
  • hoffman1990
    hoffman1990 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    do you eat back your calories?
  • sjerrott
    sjerrott Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've done 1200 for a month and lost 8 lbs. I was only hungry for the first week.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Mine's 1700 as well.....but I'm set to maintain weight not lose. (5'1" , 110) I thought it was alot until i seen what my 6'2 man is allowed on a 2 lb loss a week program! lol
    [/quote]

I know it's just not fair. My husband is on 1890, with the goal of 2lb per week. I'm on 1200 (have been since Nov - before I was on 1000) good loss to begin with, but currently in a plateau.
  • jasity
    jasity Posts: 6
    Options
    I calculated my BRM, took 500 calories from it, then burn 500 calories a day.

That equals to 7000 calories a week which equals 2 pounds.
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thats what I started out with, and it was VERY HARD! I lost about 25 then hit a plateau. I tried everything in the world to lose again, except what MFP friends were telling me, which was to RAISE my cals. When nothing elese worked, I did it, and the weight started comeing off again. I had become alot more active and my body was trying to conserve the cals because I wasn't getting enough. I'm now loseing about 1lb a week at 1450, which is slow, but I have stuck with it because I'm not hungry all the time. Good luck you can do it!
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    see my other reply :)
  • doug63
    doug63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    been at 1200 calories for 2 weeks lost 5lbs fisrt week 6lbs second week
  • Kimharbath
    Options
    Been using 1200 calories as a vague goal everyday since last June. Somedays I only eat 800 and others 1400, but I have lost 75 pounds and feel great. I eat a lot of beans, fruit, Greek Yogurt, vegetables, both raw and steamed, for snacks I have pretzels, etc. I drink a lot of iced tea, and water. I don't eat meat.
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 172.4 pounds (started at 176.5). I'm at 1200 a day too, and I usually eat back my calories from exercise because I'm trying to break even at 1200 a day. I've lost 3.1 in 2.5 weeks, which is kind of slow but healthy and maintainable. On days when I don't exercise, it can be challenging to stay within 1200, which is more motivation for getting a workout in!!! :-)
  • laurdavis87
    Options
    I love reading all of these posts! I wish there was a "like" button. I am on the 1200 calorie a day diet also. I am 5'6" and 163 pounds now. I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast & Subway or a Lean Cuisine for lunch. At dinner time we get creative. We've switched all of the meats that we can to turkey (turkey bacon, ground turkey, etc...) and have actually found that we like them better! We do big things for dinner with sensible ingredients and are always pleased with ourselves at how few calories it actually contained. In the past 12 days my husband has lost 14 pounds on a 1700 calorie diet and I have lost about 6 on a 1200 calorie diet. I am very excited!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!