What do you think of truvia?

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
So I baked with truvia for the first time this morning and the jury is still out on the results. While it didn't change the texture of my banana bread the favor is off, it's a little too sweet and has a bit of that artificial aftertaste. Does anyone use this regularly and what do you do about the aftertaste? I was thinking about trying an agave nectar and truvia combination next time instead. Thoughts?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not eat then eat something with Artificial sweetner. I heard agave nectar is natural and good for you but I never used it.
  • my2sweetboys2011
    Options
    I really only use the truvia in my coffee and for baking use spenda. I like it so far but not really had the chance to do much baking with it.
  • rn513
    rn513 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have cut out all artificial sweetners altogether.....alot of what I have read said that they all actually can trigger more sweet cravings and I have found my cravings decrease since cutting them out. I cook alot from Cooking Light Magazine.....fantastic, yummy recipes with nutritional information for every recipe. Lots of informative articles on how to cut down the sugar and fats in your recipes without sacrificing taste.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Agave Nectar isn't as good for you as everyone thinks; it's chemical makeup shows it's a fructose. Harder for the body to digest. Try splenda for baking. It's still got a slight aftertaste, you can't get away from that using an artificial sweetener. Truvia is good in coffee I've found though... Might even be good in kool-aid or other drinks.
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    Splenda is as artificial as it gets. Agave is good in small amounts, but for baking its about twice as sweet as honey, so you can do the math. Truvia is not artificial, it comes from the stevia plant.
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use truvia. Its better for you and safer then appends, equal, sweet n low and I have never had an aftertaste with it. I use it in coffee and on oatmeal but have never baked with it.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Research agave nectar. Once hailed as the best sweetener, there has been a LOT of controversy around it lately. Some say it's worse than high fructose corn syrup!

If you want the healthiest alternative, most would agree it is stevia. However, it isn't very sweet (in my opinion).

Splenda is BAD.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I like Truvia to sweeten the occasional beverage, cereal, grapefruit. but I've not ever baked with it. Seems Splenda makes products specific for baking, I have not tried them yet.
  • stef827
    Options
    Yes you are right, truvia is not an artificial sweetner that's why I use it :)
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Splenda I like the taste of--but I know it isn't great for me. Truvia comes from a plant, but has a sugar alcohol in it. I bought it without realizing that, so I'm trying to finish it.
    I prefer sugar in the raw or Stevia. Agave nectar is okay.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Splenda is as artificial as it gets. Agave is good in small amounts, but for baking its about twice as sweet as honey, so you can do the math. Truvia is not artificial, it comes from the stevia plant.
    Yeah, this is why I used it. I was trying to get stay away from artificial sweeteners, in particular to avoid that aftertaste so I was drawn by the fact that it's a natural source of sweet.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I tried to like truvia but it didn't work out.. While Agave has a better flavor nothing beats sugar.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I do like truvia because it is natural, but it doesn't seem to sweeten as well as the artificial sweeteners.
    My favorite sweetener is definitely honey.
  • Spookyhooch
    Options
    I want to like it but do not like the aftertaste.
  • stef827
    Options
    *appends* splenda, stinking auto correct. Splenda IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Maybe next time I'll just not use anything to it and see how it is ok with just the 1/3 cup of chocolate chips alone.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of truvia. It doesn't taste weird or artificial to me but the crystals are way too big to dislove in tea after its already cooled. I just wish it was more powdrey or at least smaller so it would disolve. I like NuNaturals stevia and it disolves good but it's soooo expensive!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stevia itself is natural, I grow it in my garden.
    Truvia is "bulked up" to make it more like a traditional sugar for adding to your coffee etc, I won't use it because of that bulker
    Truvia has three ingredients. Erythritol, rebiana, and natural flavors. the 'main" ingredient (if ordered in greatest to least in concentration) is bulking agent, then the stevia extract... I'll stick to the plant :)
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i think it is bitter and too sweet...i would rather use a little honey or applesauce