What do you think of truvia?

Options
2»

Replies

• lolemmerz
    Options
    i love ittt :) i use it in my coffee every morning :) i also use it on top of grape nuts instead of sugar. and i made peanut butter cookies with it and it changed the way they looked but it didnt change the taste!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like it but I think the key is to use less because it's very sweet.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like it. I read that some people are unable to taste the "aftetaste" and I'm one of the lucky ones. Havent' baked with it because you have to mix it with regular sugar for texture & volume, and I'm not eating sugar until I'm at my goal. I know it has one extra ingredient besides the stevia leaf, but it's got fewer ingredients than Splenda. I stay away from Aspartame because it bothers my joints. Try Truvia in place of sugar and make whole berry cranberry sauce! reduce the water because there's no sugar to make a syrupy thickness. The entire bag of cranberries has less than 100 calories!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of truvia. It doesn't taste weird or artificial to me but the crystals are way too big to dislove in tea after its already cooled. I just wish it was more powdrey or at least smaller so it would disolve. I like NuNaturals stevia and it disolves good but it's soooo expensive!

I haven't tried this but have you thought about taking a handful of packets and blending them in the blender? It should break them down so they are powdery.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I never said truvia was an artificial sweetener, just that artificial sweeteners have aftertaste, like splenda.

Obviously with a diverse population like MFP has, you're going to get mixed replies and results.

With the chocolate chips in the recipe It could be sweet enough for some; I've never liked my banana bread to taste like a dessert. So yes, try it without sugar and see how it turns out.
  • darcilynn73
    Options
    Have you heard of "Cook Yourself Thin"? They have really great recipes and offer ways to make baked goods without extra sugar or fat. Perhaps they may offer suggestions for adding in sweetness without sugar using certain fruits etc. For example, sugar-free or freshly made apple sauce would provide a more natural sweetness.
  • Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to bake with it, but I use a packet of it in my oatmeal and like it - less artificial taste than the others to me.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Call me a purist, but to me Truvia is along the same lines as Splenda. Remember for how many years, people thought Splenda was "made from sugar"? Well yeah it was from sugar molecules but then altered in a LAB. In fact as you see from this thread, it is still a sweetner of choice.

Truvia's first ingredient is erythritol. Let's see how this ingredient is made for human consumption.

"Erythritol is normally made from glucose that is created from corn or wheat starch. To do this, the starch is first treated with enzymes (special proteins) that break the starch down into glucose. This glucose is then mixed with yeast, such as Moniliella pollinis or Trichosporonoides megachliensis, and the yeast ferments the glucose to form erythritol. The fermented mixture is then heated (in order to kill off the yeast) an dried (by boiling off all the water) so that erythritol crystals are formed. These crystals are then washed (to remove impurities), redissolved, purified again (using a special kind of chemical filter) and finally are isolated in solid form, at which point the erythritol is safe for human consumption."

Yeah, not exactly the same thing as eating RAW STEVIA PLANT.

I love the fact that we are all free to make our own choices, just make sure you know what you are cho0sing and are okay with it.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Just curious... why not bake with real sugar, but cut down the amount by 1/3 to 1/2.... won't really change the taste or texture when cut down by 1/3, and some recipes are sooooo sweet, that you can easily cut down the sugar by 1/2 without making tooo many changes to the end product.
    I second the Cooking Light pp, and the Cook Yourself Think ideas. I like to bake, but with less real sugar, applesauce, and ground nuts. It still takes great, and you have no aftertaste worries or chemicals to worry about.
    I like stevia plant leaves, but the processes stuff makes me nervous.

I'd rather use real sugar, but much less of it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Just curious... why not bake with real sugar, but cut down the amount by 1/3 to 1/2.... won't really change the taste or texture when cut down by 1/3, and some recipes are sooooo sweet, that you can easily cut down the sugar by 1/2 without making tooo many changes to the end product.
    I second the Cooking Light pp, and the Cook Yourself Think ideas. I like to bake, but with less real sugar, applesauce, and ground nuts. It still takes great, and you have no aftertaste worries or chemicals to worry about.
    I like stevia plant leaves, but the processes stuff makes me nervous.

I'd rather use real sugar, but much less of it.

I'm usually a baking purist, real sugar, real butter, real whatever because I'm gluten free so I have to make substitutions in all recipes anyway. However, I picked up a container of Truvia a couple of months ago just because I wanted to see what it would be like to use it.
  • cjdueck
    cjdueck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Truvia is made from Stevia which is a herb...it is a natural sweeetner not chemical like aspartame and Splenda :) Haven't tried Truvia but have been using Stevia for years and love it!
  • druecamarillo
    Options
    Truvia is actually natural!!!! and from what I understand agave (A very processed food:grumble: ) digest like fructose through the liver increasing the bad cholesterol. Truvia is natural erythritrol- which is from food, and stevia - a plant that you can buy in the herb section of the walmart garden center! (WAY COOL!) :wink: I personally will not let my kids eat anything with agave..... but stevia for sure is ok. Stevia has been available to public for a very very long time, just new(er) here in the USA. I sweeten kool-aid with stevia in the raw. and there is also another natural sweetner called xylitol (80% as sweet as sugar). It is used in sugar free gum alot of times. This is actually found to help build bone mass and is like the anti-cavity sugar. Builds immune system also from what I have heard. anyway that is my shpeel on that subject. Good Luck with everything........