Ideas for Soup

Options
Well its freezing here in the UK and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for soup? I love vegetables and my favourite soups are tomato and also vegetable either chunky or smooth. I have quite a sweet tooth sometimes and I don't mind spices. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• mgpolizzi
    mgpolizzi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite time of year to make soup. I just posted my recipe for Green Soup on my blog. Surprisingly filling and only 82 calories per cup. Easy to clean out the refrigerator and make a lot of it. Enjoy.

http://open.salon.com/blog/michael_polizzi/2012/01/09/green_soup
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    One of my faves is parsnip & potato :love:
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    my mum makes an awesome red pepper and tomato - literally just those ingredients i believe

also nice: butternut squash (and add in an onion for flavour)
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I made carrot, ginger and corriander soup the other day and it was lush... and apparently under 60 cals a portion, so that means I'm eating tons of it! x
  • Annecs
    Annecs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash soup.
    Chop onion and dry fry, peel, deseed and chop butternut squash. add to the pan with enough stock to cover. Simmer till veg is cooked. Blend either whole pan or just half for a chunkier soup. Season with black pepper ( I like lots). If i's too thick for your liking, add stock till it's how you like.
    You can also chuck in any left over veg too.

Leek and potato, shout if you want a recipe also a creamy mushroom one, all low fat.
  • beskimoosh
    Options

Leek and potato, shout if you want a recipe also a creamy mushroom one, all low fat.

I'd love a creamy mushroom recipe! Just because I love mushrooms so much :)
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is the very thing i want to experiment with this week, soups to take to work for lunch to stop me going to the shop with everyone else and also in a bid to use up all the vegetables I seem to buy and only use 75% of every week. Thinking of starting with carrot and corriander as its my fav soup but open to suggestions and any step by step guides would be great, never made any soup other than the traditional veggie broth!
  • beskimoosh
    Options
    My carrot and corriander is dead easy, you just fry off your onion (and ginger if you want) add a tsp of ground corriander, add in 450g of carrots and then about a litre of chicken stock. When it's all done whizz it up and add some fresh corriander at the last minute. I also add a bit of low fat fromage frais, about 50g, which makes it all creamy. It serves 6 people and is about 50 cal a serving!

It's also nice if you add a bit of smoked paprika and a pinch of chilli!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Leek and potato (keeps me full for hours)

All quantities are just to my taste so only rough guide.

2-3 leeks
    3 large potato's
    1 Onion (optional)
    2 veggi stock cubes
    Garlic to taste
    Salt (optional)

Rough slice leeks, potato, and onion.
    Place light oil spray or tiny amount of oil in large pan, add garlic, then leeks, potato, and onion cook on moderate heat till veg start to soften.
    Add enough water to cover all veg
    Add veggi stock
    Leave to boil until potatoes are cooked though (depends on how small you cut them)
    Blend and season to taste.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great ideas!
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    bump
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My wife makes the WW 0 Point soup... it is all veggies, delicious and something like 40 calories a cup.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Someone posted the other day a recipe for the most amazing sweet potato thai style soup, which I've just made. I cut back the coconut milk from the original recipe. It was basically a sweet potato, two carrots, a pepper, and an onion, then I used 30g of creamed coconut (the block), spiced with some ginger, cayenne, garam masala and garlic, with a handful of fresh coriander thrown in at the end. Very yummy.

Carrot and coriander
    Carrot and orange
    Butternut
    Mixed veg with a bit of soup mix (barley, split peas etc)

All very easy and very tasty.

I use swiss marigold stock in all my soups.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My favorite Carrot and Leek Soup

# 4 tablespoons (60 g) unsalted butter
    # 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
    # 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, washed well and cut across into 1/2-inch (1-cm) lengths
    # 5 large carrots, peeled and cut across into thin slices
    # 3 cups (750 ml) Basic Chicken Stock (page 345) or commercial chicken broth
    # 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
    # Kosher salt, to taste
    # Freshly ground white pepper, to taste

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the cardamom and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the leeks. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and stock. Bring to a boil.
    Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 13 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.

In a food processor or blender, purée the soup. If using a blender, work in batches of no more than 2 cups (500 ml). Stir in the cream. The soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.

Remove from the refrigerator and serve cold, or heat through to serve hot. Season with salt and white pepper.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    my mum makes an awesome red pepper and tomato - literally just those ingredients i believe

also nice: butternut squash (and add in an onion for flavour)

Those are two of my favorites!

Also, I make a simple soup with leeks and dark leafy greens. It's so good. Minestone's another great one.

This week I'm making a carrot miso soup and an African sweet potato and peanut soup.

And vegetarian pho!

Let me know if you want the recipes for any of these.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    woodland faerie soup

2 leeks chopped
    1-2 pints of a variety of mushrooms
    2 scallions chopped
    veggie broth
    pinch of salt
    pinch of pepper
    any sort of herb you like: parsley, thyme, sage, etc

saute veggies and add broth/seasonings. simmer 10-15 minutes. yay!

super low cal!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup:

Chicken stock, a little corn starch to thicken (just a little) and scrambled eggs, stirred in at the very end. Simple, easy, quick, nutritious, and my 3 children beg for it. No negatives! Also, it's great for add ins - noodles, veggies, chicken, the sky's the limit.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like the WW 0 point soup too but to make something a bit different (after I have blended 1/2 the pot) I will add a couple of spoons of chopped garlic, a chopped up cooked chicken breast, can of rinsed kidney beans, a cajun or mexican seasoning and some tomato puree and cook it for a bit longer - you get lots more fibre and protein but still not huge calories!
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My fave is sweet potato, chilli and chicken soup, yum yum! Everyone I've made it for loves it :-D

It isn't THE most low fat soup as it has coconut milk in it, but I use the light one and the recipe I use makes 4 portions. One portion comes out about 390kcals, 11g fat and has about 3-4 portions of veg in it so still pretty good. The recipe is in a book else I'd post a link, but if anyone is interested I happen to have a jpg of the page that I could pop on t'internet for you to see :-)
  • DeidreJean
    DeidreJean Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a delicious potato leek soup recipe for the crock pot- it's perfect because it's ready when you get home from work and it's thick enough to feel filling- perfect for a cold Maine winter :)

Place the following in a medium crock pot:
    4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
    4 leeks, washed and thinly sliced, white part only
    chicken stock or water to cover
    cook on low 7-9 hours
    Puree in blender in batches (makes too much soup for my blender to do all at once)
    optional: stir 1 TBSP margarine into the hot soup (whole batch, not each bowl) until melted before, serving

A bowl of this is delcious with warm, honey wheat sunflower bread and a green salad or some steamed asparagus.