Oatmeal for Breakfast

Options
I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast. I am getting bored with just plain oatmeal. What do you put in your oatmeal?

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is awesome because it's a blank canvas! I spice up my oatmeal a few different ways-

1) add a super-ripe banana you've mashed up with a fork (sometimes I'll add a drop or two of vanilla and some nutmeg)
    2) chai spiced oatmeal: add some cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, & vanilla (cook it w/ milk for extra richness)
    3) unsweetened cocoa powder
    4) fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, or both
    5) top with a little dried fruit and nuts
    6) add a serving of unsweetened apple sauce (should be about 50 cal) and cinnamon
    7) add a serving of toasted wheat germ for extra fiber & protein
    8) Mix some protein powder w/ just enough water to dissolve and add to the oatmeal at the end

Depending on how I'm feeling, I might sweeten it with stevia or honey. I really want to try making pumpkin oatmeal sometime.
  • rhogro
    rhogro Posts: 12
    Options
    I had a variety of fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) in my oatmeal this morning. I add 2 tsps of sugar but probably didn't need that much.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had oatmeal this morning. You can check my diary to get exact nutritional information.

It was GREAT! I had rolled oats with 1% milk, mixed berries, sugar free maple syrup and walnuts. :happy:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    1) add a super-ripe banana you've mashed up with a fork (sometimes I'll add a drop or two of vanilla and some nutmeg)
    2) chai spiced oatmeal: add some cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, & vanilla (cook it w/ milk for extra richness)
    8) Mix some protein powder w/ just enough water to dissolve and add to the oatmeal at the end

I especially want to try these 3! :)
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a dash of pumpkin pie spice and a big dollop of greek yogurt. It's the best.

The yogurt adds great protein. I also add frozen fruit and it warms up in the oatmeal. (When shopping/cooking for 1 it's hard to buy fresh berries because they go bad. Sometimes I blend my oatmeal into a smoothie. The banana idea of the previous poster sounds yummy. Sometimes I add a few spoonfuls of maple syrup and a few chocolate chips. It's the flavors of a chocolate chip waffle.
  • spencerp2122
    Options
    I ate oatmeal everyday for like 3 months, If I eat it today I really have to spice it up cause just plain will make me gag.
    I always add raspberries with cinnamon
    Or some blackberries were my favorite
  • HappyMommyTo2
    Options
    I love oatmeal. Sometimes I'll use the packets of maple and brown sugar and I will add dried banana and walnuts. Another good add in is cardamom and cinnamon with a little Splenda or brown sugar. Seems that with the ice, I don't need much sweet :0)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    agave syrup (just a drizzle) + cinnamon. sometimes banana.

sometimes just plain.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    craisins, chopped apples and bananas are all delicious...

I've heard people suggest mixing it up with some peanut butter but when I tried it I found it looked like cat puke ...lol
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have it 4-5 times a week....usually with a little bit of dried berries and sometimes a dash or two of light brown sugar. Any of the flavored "oatmeal packets" make me gag, I need the real thiing.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    1/2 banana, cinnamon, vanilla extract, splenda
    sometimes instead of banana, fresh strawberries without cinnamon and vanilla extract
    or imitation maple syrup and splenda
  • firedragonjlc
    firedragonjlc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats. If you haven't tried them, it might be worth a go. Typically I cooked with half water / half soy milk for that rich flavor. You could also try half chocolate milk. My topping is a tablespoon of almond butter. My mom likes it with cashew butter and fresh raspberries...

Happy Breakfast
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I cook steel-cut oatmeal on Sunday for the entire week... I just heat and eat :) I never have to think about what to eat and as such I am never tempted to eat BREAD... my biggest vice.

This weeks oatmeal was cooked with an apple (cubed), six dates, vanilla and cinnamon... it was yummy!

Keep those recipes coming... I love changing up my oats :)
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of cinnamon while cooking and then after it is done cooking add in 1/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt, a little tart and a little sweetness- makes a huge amount and the yogurt as a creaminess to it like you made it with milk! So yummy!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was just replying in another post about oatmeal. here are some of the things I like to add to plain oatmeal:

*peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut spread, honey almond butter
    *pumpkin butter and small amount of slivered almonds
    *frozen peaches and cinnamon (tastes just like peach cobbler!!)
    *canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie seasoning
    *craisins, almonds
    *diced apples and cinnamon
    *try vanilla soy milk instead of water perhaps
  • LosingLadi
    LosingLadi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've tried other things but the ones I like best are;

1) Add a serving of raisins, a dash of cinnamon and a packet of sweetner (splenda).

2) Add a bit of cut-up Apple, dash of cinnamon and a packet of sweetner (splenda).
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    good ol' unsalted almonds and dried cranberries.....Mmmmmmmm! :blushing:
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a bit of peanut butter. The added protein keeps my sugar from dropping and it taste like a treat.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almonds in mine. Apple sauce is something else I'll have every now and again.
  • MCwhiteraven
    MCwhiteraven Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mmmmm gotta be peaches! 1tsp brown sugar, and 1/8th cup or so of 2% organic milk.... yummmmmmm