Most Difficult lifestyle change you've made

Options
13»

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    finally sticking it through despite my days i have gone off track.. i been able to get right back on either that day or the next and become less frequent in binging. also big time lifestyle change is activity and going to the gym. 2011 was the first time ever i stayed with a gym an entire year and went consistantly..even all the vacations i took last year i made sure a gym was within reach and i used those gyms. i also am always looking to improve and learn.. my way didnt work for years and i became obese because i 'had no time to exercise', or 'yuk i cant stand the taste of that ' or ' im big boned'... being a size 24 is not big boned --its obesity from overeating and not exercising. once i came to terms that i needed to change my ways i have traveled down the road to recovery and health for the last two years... im not looking back ever. im so much happier with myself now
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    exercising without any month long breaks! i may not exercise every day but my body will actually CRAVE exercise now so I rarely go more than a few days without doing something. I never thought I'd be the type of person who would WANT to exercise! at first it was hard to stay motivated but Jillian Michael's is amazing and her videos made it possible for me to get where I am today!
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Stopped putting seasoning salt every time I have rice.
    Stopped having minute white rice.
    Stopped having one (or more!) Cokes a day.
    Actually going to the gym to weight train or get on the treadmill.

To realize I have the power to change my life, instead of sitting in apathy and self-hatred. (The latter still happens, but I'm still DOING something, y'know?)
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is kinda weird but I am working at not sitting/laying on the couch. Rather I try to sit in our rocking chair or on the floor. This way I wont get too comfy and stay motivated to get up and move. Not to mention the couch sucks the energy outta me and I tend to fall asleep not long after eating if I sit on it too long.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Most difficult challenge for me is planning ahead, in many ways.

I will get so hungry that I eat something which I regret immediately after.

Or, I will not have sufficient groceries to make something healthy and be short on time and order delivery for dinner...which pretty much ruins the days progress.

Oh, and alcohol. I don't drink too much, although I would be all too pleased with a glass of wine with dinner every night. The problem is that I drink a little and then lose all resolution to eat moderately and then comes dessert...

my problem exactly - i don't drink that much, but when i do... oh dear - dessert dessert dessert
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For me, the most difficult step was the first one: committing to being healthier and more active. I put off eating right and getting in shape for a really long time, because I didn't really feel like I could justify taking all that time and spending it on myself instead of work. But now that I've given myself permission to take more time for myself - time to exercise, time to cook (instead of eating takeout at my desk), time to surf MFP for ideas -- the rest of it has come surprisingly easily. I'm only a few weeks in, but I'm feeling really great, and I don't see myself wanting to jeopardize that any time soon.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I gave up 4-5 Diet Cokes a day and no potato chips either, since I started on August 7th. I thought is would be terrible and it wasn't. Harder for me has been cutting back the eating out to 10-20% of before. I think really hard and try to research the menu before I go.

The worst is going from being completely sedentary to forcing myself to the gym. I enjoy it when I get there but getting myself motivated is hard. I even have things to do for fitness at home but some days I'm just not feeling it like I should. :blushing: I need to get at it 5-6 times a week rather that 3-4. I know, I know...suck it up.:flowerforyou:
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but eating 1200 calories. I still haven't even gotten close. Unlike most people I've had problems with under eating .... I'm working on change though :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The cooking and the shopping for the right foods. Taking processed foods out of the diet was worthwhile, but not convenient.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'd say not eating fast food every week and not eating high sodium foods! I just love salty and spicy foods.

The high sodium foods is the toughest thing for me.
    Dill Pickles, any kind of pickled pepper including
    jalapenos used to be my go to snack. That and
    canned soups used to be my lunch. So high in sodium!
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    All of it. LOL
    I love quick and easy food rather its fast or frozen/box meals. I still have some fast food but I pick better choices. One day A week I like to prepare crockpot meal and some easy healthy snacks.
    I have never worked out and the closest gym in 20 miles so I try use saving gas as an excuse but I am getting better.
    I have been soda free since Christmas and LOVE it. I use to have a two liter a day but none now.
  • rahonda28
    Options
    making family meals at home the whole family likes with half the calories and fat and no salt they arent happy about the flavor difference. taking time out for me away from everyone to workout.
  • hejdje
    hejdje Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Giving up eating chocolate EVERY day ....and eating frozen meals..(pizza, etc)

How did you break the chocolate habit?!? I can seem to do it.
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    The most difficult for me has been the constant snacking I'd become accustomed to.. Little did I know, I probably ate my entire calorie allowance in snacks every day. I've been drinking more water and chewing gum at work to distract myself.

I'm the same way. Absentminded snacking is what I know got me to this size. I had no clue how many calories I was putting in to my body. MFP has made me become aware of my calories, and I'm so glad because it finally put into numbers what I was doing to my body. Yeah I know reese's and beer have a lot of calories, but THAT many?! Anytime I want to snack I just drink water instead.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Logging everything. Even when everything is bad.
  • LuluC13
    LuluC13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    andt
    I'm proud of two different things. The first is realizing that I don't have to completely give up the foods I love, I just can't have all of them all the time. The second and probably the most life changing is figuring out that a bad day doesn't need to turn into a bad week, month or year. It's happened. Now if I have a bad day, either on purpose or accident, I move on and do better the next day. I'm way less stressed about food since adopting this philosophy.

This is SUCH a good philosphy when making diet and exercise changes. One of the most important tips: move on if you slip up. If you exercise and eat right more days than not you will likely make progress. In the past, I've had a bad meal which turned into a bad day, had a bad couple days then stopped actively doing what I should've to stop the behavior. Now when I can't control the meals for whatever reason, I treat it like its a single instance and won't deter me from my goals for later in the day or the next day.

This weekend when I was at family's house, didn't want to refuse food relatives made for me AND food was SOO delicious, I ate but in correct portion sizes and tried to drink all water. At service stations on the way to visit, I bought fruit, low-fat milk and water and avoided big greasy breakfast sandwiches. I felt proud of myself but it helped I knew I would be eating great home-cooked meals later.
  • GoldenGirl89
    Options
    Late night snacking and saying goodbye to my beloved fettuccine alfredo