Couch to 5k

Options
paulwgun
paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
yesterday i went to do week 5 day 3 of c25k and my ipod voice tells me today you are going to run for 20 min straight dont be alarmed you can do it ..................................and I say to myself OMFG I cant do that, Ill try what I can but will probably stop after 10 - 12 min ..........................19 min in and im feeling great im sweating like theres no tomorrow but the body feels good so i thought i will add an extra 5 min so it will be 25 min of running, its almost 25min and i notice ive run 4.1km and a light came on in my head saying "hey you may be able to do 5k here" .......................5k done i add a further 5min to cover my warm up walk and did 6.1km in all........Ive not run prior to this for about 35 years and no where near 5k I would like to thank a very special lady on MFP when i posted i was thinking of doing the c25k programme on a treadmill I had a message asking me to be her running partner .........................Mary Kate Kruger you are a diamond and i thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the boost i needed to get of my butt :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love running NSVs!! Well done!! :drinker:
  • Carol_s
    Carol_s Posts: 73
    Options
    That's fantastic, congratulations! I've been wanting to start the Couch to 5k for ages, but am really scared to begin. You've given me the inspiration to give it a go. Thank you :happy:
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing. I started to do the C25K before Christmas but then things got really hectic and I never finished. Think I'm going to start again soon, need to plan it into my schedule and get my treadmill to mine rather than at my parents.
    Well done!! I hope I feel as good as you did in week 5 :happy:
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I broke my ankle last September doing a 5K with obstacles. I will be out of the orthopedic boot next month and planning on starting another c25k as soon as I'm stronger (and back in real shoes!).

Keep up the good work!!! Running is so much fun and quite rewarding.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    *TICKER TAPE PARADE! LIGHTS! FIREWORKS! TRUMPET SONATA! APPLAUSE!* amazing job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I am sitting here icing my heel because I am 2 weeks in to the C25K program. And I literally am starting from couch...haha. I just finally got through ALL of week one and am so proud only to have this pain now. I hope I can make it to your status! I want to run so bad!!
  • rpdaries
    rpdaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of C25K, but after reading the first blog and others, its a great idea. I think I need to try and work it into my routine to change things up a little. Thanks for the new tip.
  • olinka1981
    Options
    great i am just thinking to start it. just now, the temperature is around 0'C, so I want to wait till it gets to 5.
    You are definitely great inspiration too :-)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! I am on week 3 of the program, I love hearing how well it has been working, keeps me motivated! Running for 20 mins seems impossible at the moment, but I know I'll get there.
    Thanks so much for posting
  • paulwgun
    Options
    That's fantastic, congratulations! I've been wanting to start the Couch to 5k for ages, but am really scared to begin. You've given me the inspiration to give it a go. Thank you :happy:

Dont be scared just take it easy to start, i suffered with shin splints (muscle pain) i did go and get my gait analysys done in a running store as i pronate when running
    useful group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k you can find downloads etc for c25k
  • paulwgun
    Options
    Way to go!! I am sitting here icing my heel because I am 2 weeks in to the C25K program. And I literally am starting from couch...haha. I just finally got through ALL of week one and am so proud only to have this pain now. I hope I can make it to your status! I want to run so bad!!

You will get there I promise, when I started I thought " this lump of lard aint gona be able to run 5k" yesterday I proved myself wrong just take it easy to start and remember to include rest days after my first day i felt good and went back the following day to do day 2 and totally failed
  • jeadie78
    jeadie78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am half way through week 2. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be so far... although I have tried not to look ahead too much. 20 min sounds tough from where I am at... :)
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting this again in the near future. Great job. I am envious :)
  • twinmommy508
    Options
    THAT'S AWESOME!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
  • coffeegirl17
    coffeegirl17 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I just did Week 2, Day 1 this morning -- and I can't even imagine running for 20 minutes straight yet!
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    That first 20 minute run is always hard, and you killed it!! Great job, you should be really proud! :drinker:
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am starting my C25k challenge tonight at the gym.......treadmill version. And I have signed up to do the Race for Life 5km in May 2012 in Edinburgh..........that is my goal! I will evaluate progress in 4 weeks time and maybe do an earlier 5km as well - SportRelief 3 Miles or similar!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I just completed week 2. I'm finding it easier as I go, but man, my thighs were BURNING last night! Hoping that gets better soon b/c I can't imagine running more than 90 seconds at a time, lol!

Really, really awesome - thanks for posting this and being such an inspiration!
  • maripera
    Options
    I'm on week 4 Day 2. I do my c25k program M-W-F but I still get on the treadmill every day. I know the 20 minute run is coming up and I'm super scared. I am not a runner but so far I've been able to complete all t he running times up to now. I can't say I'm looking forward to running for 20 minutes straight but I am excited to read that someone thought "OMFG I can't do this" lol. because that is exactly what I am thinking. You have given me hope!
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started with this program 18 months ago and now run 35-40 miles a week. I have run several 5Ks and have been competitive, now training for a half marathon and possibly a marathon later in the year. I owe most of my weight loss to MFP and C25K.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!