If I want this so bad why have I lost my motivation :-( ????

Options
So I restarted my weight loss journey this past October and I was so excited and motivated. I was working out at least 6 times a week , eating healthy, and losing slowly. Then it seems like after the holidays it all came to a halt. I was no longer able to push myself to wake up early and do my workouts, then I would tell myself that I would do them when I got off. Then when I got off I would be too exhausted. Eventually I began to start eating "bad" foods again which I had not eaten since I began my weight loss journey in October. Now it seems I have lost all control. How can I gain back the control I once had only a few weeks ago ???

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    been there my lovely!

I think it's because you feel you deserve a break! I know I did, I started liking myself again and being proud of my achievement so stopped trying. You need another kick up the *kitten*. Take some pictures and see what you need to achieve still. Visualise where you ultimately want to be and start all over again almost. It's all about visualisation I believe.
    You have done well, but it's not over yet. Now c'mon get back on it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just force yourself to take that first step and get started again. Start tracking your foods again and then make the time to go to the gym. Even if it's jsut walking for a half hour, just get up and move. Do something. You've made great progress so far, keep it going. Eating healthy again will help give you the energy you need to get going. I just started but I know it will be worth it in the end.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It happens to all of us - I fell off the wagon for 18 months. One day turned into a week which turned into a month and it lasted a whole year and a half. The important part is just getting back on it.

If you weren't doing so in the past, maybe allow yourself a cheat day or cheat meal? Maybe that will help you to not feel burned out from taking the right steps. Best wishes!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow morning decide that you are going back to the you that worked out and was on a regime and just do it :) I know it's easier written/said than done but just decide that is what you are going to do and go for it! Before long you will be right back on track!
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I'm looking at it like I took a short hiatus and now have to get back to work. I bribed myself with new songs for my ipod and workout gear. I figured some new workout clothes for a new year? I also revisited my nutritionist and found a "gym buddy" to meet at least a couple of times a week. This has increased my accountability to show up, since I don't want to leave someone waiting on me. Hope this helps. I didn't lose anything during the holidays, roughly Thanksgiving to Xmas, but now I'm going back down again. It's hard but you sound like you do want to get back on track!
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If this was easy, everyone would be doing it. It take discipline, desire and dedication.

Discipline, eating the right foods, its easy to fall back into old ways, if you get complacent. I have been doing this for 5 years, My body is at the point where it craves good foods over bad. But, I do sometimes give myself a cheat meal. Discipline, getting up early in the morning to hit the gym. Easy NO! Worth it! Hell yes!!! I, personally feel so much better after a workout. Gives me motivation for the rest of the day.

Desire, what do you want? Do you like the way your see yourself now or want something better. Its in you! Just go to bed early for the morning work outs, get up do your routine and get to the gym and get it done. You'll feel better when your finished. And if your tired at night at 9 pm, so what...

Dedication, giving it your all...in the diet, in the workout, in the recovery. You deserve the best and you can be best once you put your mind to it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It happens!! Don't be so hard on yourself.

It happened to me for some of November and definately all of December. After the new year, something clicked again and I'm back on it!!! I needed to keep talking to myself, look at progress and refocus. I wrote down my goals and was able to see them before me along with how I was going to achieve them and my rewards. It was refreshing.
  • almost350
    Options
    Because you are human!!

Everyone loses focus and drive.. Just remember why you started this journey... Have a week off, take a break and recharge your batteries. It's not a race, you will find your 'Mojo' again...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing over the holidays. But I vowed to start anew and I have. Commit to it and make yourself a promise, then keep your word! I vowed to eat at a deficit, log everything, and work out at least 5 days a week with everything I have. Today is day 17 of the new plan.

You can do it! Mini-goals help some people. If you give yourself something you really want after you reach a certain milestone, that may help with the motivation.

Hang in there and don't give up. Today is a new day! :flowerforyou:
  • aecmagn
    aecmagn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    go to shrinkyourself.com I found a lot of answers to my "whys" there.
    Next, found out I'm starving myself. by liimiting number of calories my body is in starvation mode and i don't have energy to swim, run, bike, or take care of my house/kids/husband. much as it was counterintuitive, i upped the cals and shall see if it works.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Win each day, when you fall, get back up tomorrow. Win the day. Stay focused on whats in front of you each day. This will help with the idea of deserving a break for going 4months strong with progress. It's not easy to do, but if you get back up you can't be stopped.
  • Workinmom1986
    Workinmom1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i was JUST asking myself this same question!!!!!! and thanks everyone for all the great answers.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I learned a couple of years ago that sometimes it takes going back to the beginning. What made you want to start in the first place? Are those still your goals? If so, remember how you started working towards them and start making those steps again (track, exercise regularly, etc). If not, think of new goals and start working towards those.

For me personally, my goals have definitely changed. At first my focus was mainly on weight loss. Of course I still want to lose weight but it's not my primary focus. I also want to be more fit and want to eat health most of the time. And guess what...if I meet those goals, the weight loss happens anyway!

Take some time to really think about what made you so excited last time and what's changed and how you can get back there.

You can do this! One day at a time!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with my workouts. It's cold and dark here morning and night so I just don't feel the interest I had in the fall to get out and go to the gym. I am still logging food and the exercise too. It's just a lot harder to get myself motivated to workout. I am hoping that as the days lengthen I will be more inclined to go more often. You received lots of good advice. I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to borrow some of it. I really need to start going to bed before 11:00 and getting up early to get the workout out of the way before I can think about it and consider and reconsider all day long. Good luck!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me, only my "lack of motivation" lasted 9 months and I gained back all 40 pounds that I lost. For me at least I would consider it a lack of planning. I started a new semester at a new school and I was not prepared for how stressful it would be or how much time it would take out of my daily life. So over this winter break I came up with a plan that would allow me to be successful this semester. I'm doing it and the weight is coming off again.
    I think all you need is to sit down come up with a game plan and then follow through on it. It is tough to make huge changes in your life, but like others have said you just need to start with one step.
  • newkay
    newkay Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have had good months and bad months.. good weeks and bad weeks.. its really tough to keep motivated, even though you KNOW you want it so bad. (I literally cried when i stepped on the scale last week) ugh. BUT with all the help on here and some mind over matter, we can do this. :) Something I found really helpful is going to the grocery store and buying a bunch of really awesome/healthy food. buy things you wouldn't normally, and try out new recipes. buy things like 80 calorie chocolate/granola squares, fruit, veggies, special k, lean proteins, and minimal to no junk food. just go to the store when you are in a healthy mood, not a binge-on-chocolate-and-bacon mood. :) also.. if you have people in your life who aren't exactly good influences on your good eating habits then tell them that you're gonna be the cook from now on, and they're doing the dishes. take control of what goes into your mouth and keep focused on how much healthier you will be once you get into the groove of a good diet and exercise. were all in this together, so dont forget to utilize the website! good luck chica!
  • gainess
    gainess Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You have to believe in yourself more than anyone else!!! It starts with you! You have to make up in your mind that you are tired of it and do something about it because you are the only one that can fix you!!! BUT you do have the love and support of all your MFP friends along the way.. We can't judge you because we are all on the same boat try to get to the same destination... At the same time don't be so hard on yourself! Just do it! Forget yesterday, forget the holidays, forget the weight you've gained forget it all and start today!!! Start back slow.. Ease into it because it's hard! Start by letting go of sweets or sodas or something that you eat that you know is not good for you.. Then start out with 15 minute workouts and work your way back up.. Trust me if you make the small steps they will eventually turn into big steps and you are going to be back on track with guiding yourself to a more happier/healthier you! I believe in you and know you can do it!!!! :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I restarted my weight loss journey this past October and I was so excited and motivated. I was working out at least 6 times a week , eating healthy, and losing slowly. Then it seems like after the holidays it all came to a halt. I was no longer able to push myself to wake up early and do my workouts, then I would tell myself that I would do them when I got off. Then when I got off I would be too exhausted. Eventually I began to start eating "bad" foods again which I had not eaten since I began my weight loss journey in October. Now it seems I have lost all control. How can I gain back the control I once had only a few weeks ago ???
    This is normal and why most people fail.
    You are at a cross roads with a major decision to make.
    How bad do you really want to be fit vs fat?

To see this through, look deep inside and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be fit?
    And attach great pleasure to that as you set this goal.

And then answer for yourself this:
    Why don't I want to be fat?
    Attach great pain to all the reasons you do not want to be fat.

Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail.
    This is the key to internal motivation.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    If this was easy, everyone would be doing it. It take discipline, desire and dedication.

Discipline, eating the right foods, its easy to fall back into old ways, if you get complacent. I have been doing this for 5 years, My body is at the point where it craves good foods over bad. But, I do sometimes give myself a cheat meal. Discipline, getting up early in the morning to hit the gym. Easy NO! Worth it! Hell yes!!! I, personally feel so much better after a workout. Gives me motivation for the rest of the day.

Desire, what do you want? Do you like the way your see yourself now or want something better. Its in you! Just go to bed early for the morning work outs, get up do your routine and get to the gym and get it done. You'll feel better when your finished. And if your tired at night at 9 pm, so what...

Dedication, giving it your all...in the diet, in the workout, in the recovery. You deserve the best and you can be best once you put your mind to it.

** Love this!! :love:
  • tmjones0822
    Options
    I am on week 3 and everything has came to a complete stop. I am now bored with my workouts and I am starving! LOL thankfully my fiance is amazing and is helping me through all this. And he is my motivation. He makes my meals and helps me exercise. Maybe if you got a workout buddy to help you it might motivate you. I know when I dont see results I get discouraged but then I look at the pictures I took that I titled the "before" pics and that motivates me also! hahahaha One day soon I hope to take an after picture and to be able to see results.