Who else hates exercise?

Options

Replies

• diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first 1/2 marathon in February...a year into my journey...I just completed my first 10K this weekend and doing another one in two weeks....add me, would love to hear your journey...

Patricia
  • diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oppps I think I posted on the wrong comment...LOL still learning this site.....I was clicking on the top reply instead of the bottom.....I had asked to add me...I am trying for a 1/2 marathon also...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. I used to avoid moving more than I absolutely had to. How sad is that. I didn't bother exercising at all for the first like month or 2 that I was trying to lose weight - then after I lost about 10 lbs, I decided it was time to get my butt in gear and start moving my more moveable body. Still didn't have a lot of confidence or interest in 'actual' exercise at that point though, so all I really did was clean the house for hours more than usual (house was really clean around that time LOL) and thne started getting on my treadmill. As I started seeing some improvements there and started really getting motivated by the calories I was burning (I got a HRM to help motivate me, so I could have some numbers to show me an idea of what I was really accomplishing) - anyway at that point I got interested in trying to do something more to really attempt to shape my body. So I went out and bought the 30 day shred dvd. First day killed me, it was HARD and I was hurting afterward. But then when I was able to do it again, I was a little better at it. A few days later, even better. I got excited that I was doing things more easily than I could in the beginning. Now I love the feeling of doing things I didn't even think I could do 6 months ago. Got a few new Jillian dvds that KICK MY BUTT and have some serious exercises that are NOT fun at the time, but when I'm done I think 'holy crap, I just DID that!' and it's all worthwhile. I love this feeling of being able to DO things with my body that I couldn't do before. And even when I'm doing things that I have a hard time keeping up with, I love knowing that I'm getting a little better the more I do it. I really, really hated exercise 6 months ago. Now I kind of look forward to it b/c it makes me feel like a badass, even if I look ridiculous while I'm doing it. LOL
  • Dnc2Luz
    Dnc2Luz Posts: 33
    Options
    Just curious if anyone else on here hates exercise as much as I do.
    I do feel 2 times a week instead.

Hate exercise TOOO! I love the group dance classes at the gym I belong, but don't like it when they sneak in 15 or so jump
    n jacks into a song. I do other classes because I should. I have been making trips to the library reading my way through several books. Most all say exercise is needed for success, and sorry but 2X's a week won't do it :( Maybe you can find a friend or family that will go with you for encouragement.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    Going for a walk with a friend or listening to your favourite music is my favourite exercise and I never really enjoyed it before. That or dance classes! Or just going out dancing :P
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    I am not a fan of exercise either, but after trying gyms, and the exercise room at work, yoga, and other exercise classes, I have found something that I really like. I joined a water aerobics class that meets twice a week for an hour. It is a blast. The rest of the week I try to do some dancing with my kids. We bought a Wii, and the just dance game. It is tons of fun too.
  • nyyrule
    nyyrule Posts: 28
    Options
    I hate exercise too.. To a point where heavy exercising, which is supposed to give you endorphins and make you happy, actually puts me in an awful, angry mood for the rest of the day. What I found helps is walking outside, into town and exploring.. going into shops, etc. If the weather is lousy out, I go to the mall (take the stairs, not elevator)... and if all else fails, I'll go on an elliptical, BUT do it a very slow pace like walking, and have the tv on. I also park in the back of parking lots so you get a few more steps in. If I do anything more, it's too much. The calories burned still adds up, though!
  • tjoyner10
    Options
    I agree with you! The key is to find something that you will enjoy. I hate the treadmill because it boring to me however I go to Zumba class two times a week and Step Aerobic class two times a week and I love it. Keep looking you'll find something you enjoy!
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I used to, now I hate it...even looking forward to running tonight! Love to see the calories I burn in an hour!
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you ever tried yoga? My wife finally convinced me to try it and it was the best decision I ever made. I do power/ashtanga/vinyasa style so it's a really great workout - strength training, flexibility training, and cardio all in one.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate exercise! But I found that if I don't think about it as exercise it works out. I am with the others and I love playing my just dance(all 3 of them) and my wii Zumba because I love music and I secretly (not anymore now) think I am a professional dancer but hey whatever keeps my heratbeat pumping and my body moving.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of exercise. I'm less of a fan of being fat, so exercise wins.
  • adaffern
    adaffern Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't hate exercise. I hate the ache in my feet when I get up to walk to the other room or when I get out of bed in themorning. I only have this discomfort when I exercise, wether it's walking, playing the wii or spending time on the elliptical.
  • TeeRaceFisher
    TeeRaceFisher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hate it, hate it, HATE IT. I never get that "high" people talk about, I get a teeny bit proud when I see how many calories walking/running burns, but that's bout it. It's sweaty, stinky and time consuming.

do. not. like. it.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I like lifting weights, and boxing. Hate running.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of exercise. I'm less of a fan of being fat, so exercise wins.

Ha ha...this.

I definitely like it more than I used to. I like lifting. I don't like cardio, but I don't hate it either.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice so far. The only thing I haven't tried is classes at my gym. Unfortunately Zumba is only during the week while I'm at work, or on Sunday morning. I have tried to get myself to go Sunday morning and I never do, because I consider that my relaxation day. Even if I went, it's only 1 day a week so I figure it's not worth it.
  • Looby47
    Looby47 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At the moment I find that i'm forcing myself to get started. Its not so much that I hate it when I'm doing it but its just the getting up off the chair and finding a million other things to do instead! Once I'm at gym or whatever, I enjoy it and get the buzz afterwards. I am sure that I will enjoy it once I start to see the benefit.

I'm just starting out and to motivated myself I have looked in my diary and booked a few exercise classes around my shift pattern as I'm more likely to go when i've a class booked than just going on my own. What I really want to be doing is to be fit enough to go hillwalking.

Good luck!
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost a year and had hoped I would learn to like working out, but that has not happened. I strongly dislike working out but only truly hate the treadmill.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've always hated excercise as well and have to push myself to do it. I'm not an athletic person so don't get into running or anything like that. For me it has to be fun & social event. So it helps to work out with a buddy - a friend of mine checks up on me and I feel more accountable knowing she will be there expecting me.

Also in past, I would get frustrated becuase I would kill myself in gym & aerobics and not see results quickly since I'm very inpatient. But about 3 months ago, I decided to try spin class. Let me just say I love, love, love it!!!!! Its fun becuase its high intensity and the hour goes by really fast. Plus I've seen great results already - especially in my legs (that part where my inner thighs touch is going away!!!) I've even gone down a jean size even though I've only lost a couple lbs. Its a great feeling to go shopping for smaller jeans!