How often does everyone "cheat"?

Options

Replies

• bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hmm pretty much half the week, lol. I'm young it doesn't matter (my excuse)
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I cheat the whole weekend. I try to make up for it by exercising.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm loving these answers. My problem with food is that I am either "dieting" or eating everything in sight. I know if I'm going to be successful, I need to figure out a balanced attitude toard this. In the past, when I've had a bad day and gone off my "diet," I've said to myself, "Well, see you obviously can't stick with the plan, so you may as well give up and go eat that quart of ice cream in the freezer."

Good for you for getting back on the horse! I think being able to get back on when you fall off is just as important (maybe even more important in the long run) than staying on in the first place. There will always be days when you make unhealthy choices or eat too much or don't exercise or whatever -- the important thing is to keep it in perspective and keep working toward your goal.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm loving these answers. My problem with food is that I am either "dieting" or eating everything in sight. I know if I'm going to be successful, I need to figure out a balanced attitude toard this. In the past, when I've had a bad day and gone off my "diet," I've said to myself, "Well, see you obviously can't stick with the plan, so you may as well give up and go eat that quart of ice cream in the freezer."

Good for you for getting back on the horse! I think being able to get back on when you fall off is just as important (maybe even more important in the long run) than staying on in the first place. There will always be days when you make unhealthy choices or eat too much or don't exercise or whatever -- the important thing is to keep it in perspective and keep working toward your goal.

^^ Thank you for this! I really needed to hear that today......
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think "cheating" is a word when dieting that is purely psychological. If we deny ourselves of what we want then we will binge and never turn back or just quit. I take everything one day at a time. I make sure I get good exercise in during the week so that when situations arise I have calories from earlier in the week or later in the week to make up for it. It is what works for me. :smile:
  • pmiller0324
    pmiller0324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stop saying the "d" word. Lifestyle. Change your outlook on food. I have lost about 60 pounds in 18 months. Not breaking any records in time, but it has all stayed off! I find the longer I eat healthier, the less I truly gorge myself. My "cheats" today would have been my proud choices then! Hang in there-don't deprive yourself totally, just reward yourself responsibly!
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Example. I could consider yesterday's cinnamon roll pancakes at IHOP a failure, catapulting me into a binging/self-loathing cycle for who even knows how long, OR I could consider it a night out with friends where I let myself enjoy something nice. As long as you portion it right and exercise, it's not going to kill you or your diet plan. Stress is just as bad for your health as sugar. o(≧ω≦o)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

This is me. Exactly me. I lost 50 pounds in 2010, and put back on 30 when I gave myself permission to eat "normal" for a few weeks while moving. This of course led me to eating like I was starting a diet the next day for 6 months. "oh, well I'm starting my diet tomorrow, I'd better go out for wings and nachos tonight." And then failing the next weekend "oh well, guess I'll just restart my diet tomorrow. In the mean time, italian buffet!" On and on.
    I'm working hard on gaining a new attitude about food. The world is not ending today because I went over on my calories. I just need to get back on track tomorrow. I did record all of my meals today, but I'm not going let it get to me. Moving on.............

A great approach. We are working on it, all of us, one day at a time. But we're here for each other. Keeps me motivated, and my friends keep me from falling into bad habits again. Way to go on recording, it's pretty hard some days. Tomorrow is a new day, and you are going to rock it. :drinker:

• So, to answer your question- how often do I cheat?
    Never. I didn't marry my refrigerator.

Jill, that's hilarious!!!
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    everyday :happy: but it's not really cheating because I always make room for it in my calorie budget and its usually healthy. Like today, I'd say I had TWO treats. 1 was nonfat plain greek yogurt + 1/2 packet of strawberry banana crystal light (that *kitten* is AMAZING) and for dessert, which I haven't actually had yet, I plan on blending some 2% cottage cheese to make it fluffy and smooth with 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/8tsp vanilla extract, and however much 0 cal sweetener it needs (and maybe some crushed up teddy grahams to give it an extra dessert feel:love: It should be pudding-y! When I allow myself on a daily basis things that I LOVE, I don't have binges and go crazy with oreos. Its a VERY rare occasion that I go over my calorie limit, and I'm never hungry/craving:happy: OH YESSS
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I do but I do exercise. On my weekends. (My rest days) I don't exercise but I try to watch what I consume.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    1 day a week out to dinner with no boundaries but I show restraint--1 night of drinking (usually) I record those now too.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating rather that I stay within the boundaries of my calorie goal but I eat closer to it than I usually do. My goal is about 1760 before net and I usually eat around 1250-1300 but on the higher days I eat about 1500 or so. But I never cease exercising so I usually have a net within 600-900.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I call them "Free Days", and I do this weekly which allows my cravings fulfilled. It's a great day psychologically and even physiologically in that a good feeding shocks a stifled metabolism.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    On my diet once a month, on my girlfriend, every 3 days.
    Priorities.
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    I cant say that I call it cheating... Its more realistic to allow myself a few morsles of what Im craving as long as it falls within my alloted calorie intake for the day... Most days I make heathier choices but, some days I do choose foods from the not so healthy side... lol! Its all about balance. If I truly felt deprived then I would end up binging on something I shouldnt. And... Im not dieting... Im making permenant lifestyle changes.... Its a totally different concept & frame of mind! :wink:
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I guess this is your perception on "cheating." I have a little bit of ice cream or some other kind of dessert every night. I have found, for me, it is easier for me if I have a little every night. If I try to do a weekly basis or never, that just does NOT work for me.
  • Doizaki2012
    Doizaki2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    your co-worker is dead on. You need to shock your body so that you wont plato. I lost 7 pounds my first week and if I continue doing the same thing all the time I will end up not loosing anything or even gain a little weight. I treat myselt once a week to keep my body in order as well as change my exercise every 2 weeks. Both go hand in hand and will give you better results.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It's only cheating if you don't log!! If you go over...it's not game over....just keep plugging away and make up for it.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    One or two days a week I eat whatever I want...im not stuffing my face with twinkies and Ho hos but ill eat chips and guac, beer, cheese whatever I feel like :)