bump
  • ohkaity
    ohkaity Posts: 18
    Options
    Bump!
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I got 110 calories. Wish I would have calculated it myself first- I've been doubling this recipe all weekend thinking I was eating less than 100 calories for both servings :(

I guess it could depend on cake mixes, but the angel food mix I have would still be way more than 42 calories even if you just do that. I'm using betty crocker angel food mix (yes, the one that you just mix with water) and betty crocker yellow cake.

Here's how I figured it:

Box of yellow cake mix is 36 tablespoons
    10 servings in the box at 160 calories each (mix only)
    For the entire box of mix, it's 1600 calories
    That's 44 calories per tablespoon

Box of angel food cake mix has 38 tablespoons
    12 servings in the box with 140 calories each
    For the entire mix, it's 1640 calories
    That's also 44 calories per tablespoon

1 1/2 tablespoons of yellow cake mix= 66 calories
    1 1/2 tablespoons of angel food mix=66 calories
    Total=132 calories

I knew 42 calories for that much cake had to be too good to be true!

Yup, I was just doing some searching online and using the calorie counts on the Betty Crocker website, I came up with something similar (keeping in mind that I didn't actually measure anything out, just estimated as best I could). I used the calorie counts from chocolate cake and from angel food and came up with about 48 calories per tbsp of the "mixed" cake mix, or 144 per 3 tbsp.of the mix.
    That being said, if it actually tastes good (I haven't tried it), it's better than most other cakes you're ever going to get. But don't under-estimate those calories!

thankyou for working it all out
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yummy bump
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    This is a really cool idea! :)
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    may have to try this... thanx.
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • justme84x
    Options
    i'm tryng to wrap my mind around this...i looked up duncan hines angel food cake and duncan hines red velvet cake mix. combined they come to 3840 calories. So how is one to know how many 3 TBL servings are in each box of cake mix in order to determine if they are really 42 calories besides buying a box of mix and sitting down and scooping out TBL after TBL to figure it out...? sounds too good to be true and i'm not willing to put it in my mouth until i can calculate the calories for myself....can anyone help?
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i'm tryng to wrap my mind around this...i looked up duncan hines angel food cake and duncan hines red velvet cake mix. combined they come to 3840 calories. So how is one to know how many 3 TBL servings are in each box of cake mix in order to determine if they are really 42 calories besides buying a box of mix and sitting down and scooping out TBL after TBL to figure it out...? sounds too good to be true and i'm not willing to put it in my mouth until i can calculate the calories for myself....can anyone help?

Is it that your figures count in all the eggs, oil, etc that one normally puts in? That's my guess, plus remember you are only eating a tiny bit each time. Just my guess.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this---just gonna have to try it!!!
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have seen this before. Can't wait to give this a whirl! Thanks for the reminder.
  • mpena1980
    Options
    bump
  • justme84x
    Options

Is it that your figures count in all the eggs, oil, etc that one normally puts in? That's my guess, plus remember you are only eating a tiny bit each time. Just my guess.

unfortunately when i was calculating...i used the figures for Mix not the figures for Baked....therefore 3840 is correct before eggs and oil are added