How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself while trying to lose weight?

I've been doing it every morning but sometimes it can be discouraging when you don't see results everyday, so maybe it's better to check up once every few days?

Replies

• Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    They say only once a week, same day, same time. Remember, when you eat/how much you eat compared to when you weigh yourself has a lot of influence. If you just ate, you can "weigh" a pound or two more. Or if you've got a lot of water, or if it's that time of the month or even if you've not used the bathroom in a while or even what clothes you wear, time of day, blah blah blah blah blah. Hence...only once a week else you likely WILL get discouraged.

Never give up though!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It's only discouraging if you let it be.
  • snooze88
    Options
    i do it every Tuesday and Friday morning.. maybe only a little difference but stops you from getting obsessed with the scales..
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You should only weigh yourself once a week. Now, with that being said, I have to admit I'm a habitual weigher. I weigh eveyday. BUT, I know the scale will fluctuate daily so I don't let it get me down. As long as I'm within the range I think I should be I'm ok.
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    "It didn't go on overnight and it isn't going to come off overnight" is my philosophy. I weigh in once a week, but the more time you give it, hopefully the more weightloss you will see :) A woman's body (anyone's really) will fluctuate in weight just a little, so if you weigh yourself every day it may be discouraging.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Every morning and every night. It is ridiculous I know. And the daily weight fluctuations are discouraging sometimes but I am very OCD and if I don't do it I worry about it all day.
  • judgejava
    Options
    it is psychological.

Your weight varies greatly from one day to the next and hour by hour typically so if you are not aware of that then only weigh yourself once a week to see the overall change.

I weigh myself at same time of day first thing when i wake at 5am and thats it, and i can be lighter or heavier than day before, but i understand the science of it so i dont discourage.

If you find it demoralising then only do it once a week which is best anyway for seeing the gains (or losses) etc.

water weight, muscle weight etc all contribute to daily changes, you need to take the average overall
  • angela72023
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday. I mean to everyday, but some mornings, with 3 kids, it just doesn't happen. I do it to keep myself accountable. Like last week was my daughter's birthday and we took her out to a local steakhouse for dinner and I ate about half of a regular meal, so I didn't want to weigh myself the next morning, but I did because I need to know how these types of meals will affect me.
    It's really up to you, and if it discourages you, then pick 2 or 3 days a week to weigh instead of everyday, but above all, don't let it discourage you, use it as a tool. You will do great however you decide to do it! Just stick with it!
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh in most mornings, first thing. If that's too much for you or you are feeling discouraged I would recommend picking a day/time of the week and do a weekly "offical" weigh in. Add that weigh in to your MFP for tracking. First thing in the morning, before coffee, is a great time to weigh.

Good Luck!!!
  • fatnurse12
    Options
    I have been weighing myself everyday. Weighing myself daily keeps me focused.
  • lisa812many
    lisa812many Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going to weigh myself on Monday and Thursday mornings at 0530 for MFP. Other than that the way my clothes fit (or don't) will let me know if I am on track.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When I'm working on hitting a goal, I weigh myself every morning around the same time of day. Your weight fluctuates quite a bit during the day, so I try to do it at the same time each day (right when I get up) to get a more accurate assessment. It also lets me know if I need to focus during that day to stay on goal. It's a motivational tool for me.

Cheers,
    Cathy
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of only doing once a month. I do a lot of strength training, so that messes with the scale a lot. I go by measurements and how well my pants are fitting.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    weekly is enough, don't want to be reminded of how much more there is to lose
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When I am in weight loss mode, I only weigh myself once per week.

When I am in weight maintenance, I weigh myself every day or every couple of days, to ensure I am not in gaining mode.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It's only discouraging if you let it be.

Agreed, and I do it every morning at the same time. I know there will be fluctuations from day to day (my scale shows weight to the half pound) but I only get discouraged if I don't see a change after a week. The scale just keeps me honest.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Same here
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have to do it everyday. It keeps me in check. I know it's going to fluctuate but if I let too much time pass before checking in, I give myself a little more and more rope until things get out of control. Then the next time I weigh I'm like 6 to 10 lbs heavier!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Once every few months or so
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday morning and every Monday morning, it helps me keep accountable for the weekend "binges"