Bananas

Options
13»

Replies

• I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yep. Eating too many bananas is exactly why we are all here trying to lose weight. Damn those fruits and all the bad, processed stuff they contain...

:laugh:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    bananas don't have to be off limits, but eat them in moderation (as in not every day) and eat them early in the day so you can burn off all that sugar! :)

Why can't I eat them every day? What if I eat mango every day, is that ok? Why do I have to eat bananas early in the day?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Waah! My questions go unanswered.

In the absence of any refutation, I conclude

Bananas are yummy, unless you don't like them
    Bananas are better for you than mango. Or worse.
    A diet based on bananas will kill you. So will a diet based on bacon.
    If you eat bananas late in the day, you will die. You will also die if you eat bananas early in the day, or if you never eat bananas.
    Guavas are the absolute supreme fruit. And, they have a cool dipthong, which bananas so do not have.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Why can't I eat them every day? What if I eat mango every day, is that ok? Why do I have to eat bananas early in the day?

You can eat them every day if you want. You can eat a mango everyday if you want to too. It's a fruit for gods sakes. Screw moderation. Have 10 if you want. If your calories allow it, eat them up.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bananas! They are one of my favorite fruits but I CANNOT have them. I am hypoglycemic and bananas are full of sugars and carbs. One banana takes up almost half of my daily allotment. I eat them on rare occasion as a special treat like most people would eat a slice of cake as a treat. Don't even get me started on the watermelon, cantaloupes and dates that I LOVE so much!!! :-)

Cherries? My dodgy site said that cherries were the lowest GI?

Oh, dates and other dried fruits like the dastardly dried APRICOTS, I never knew what horrors lurked inside that innocent-looking plastic bag of imported evil before I scanned their barcode into the saintly mfp. Aargh!

LOL! I know EXACTLY what you mean. Yes, I know cherries are one of the lowest GI foods, but sadly, I don't like them. :-(
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me too....:( Maybe it is time to give up the ever convenient banana.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Are you implying that fruits is detrimental to fat loss even in a calorie deficit?
    Oatmeal is higher in the GI, does that make oatmeal worse than banana?

Low-carb takes the pounds off quickly because of you lose water. When you start eating carbs again. Guess what happen?

No, but the way some fruits work with the body could be detrimental to fat loss, even in a calorie deficit diet. I eat a banana almost every other day because I like them.

Oatmeal may be higher on the GI, but oatmeal is a slow digesting carbohydrate which will give you sustained energy throughout the day.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No, but the way some fruits work with the body could be detrimental to fat loss, even in a calorie deficit diet. I eat a banana almost every other day because I like them.
    Please provide evidence.
    Oatmeal may be higher on the GI, but oatmeal is a slow digesting carbohydrate which will give you sustained energy throughout the day.
    Apparently you do not understand what GI is. The lower it is on the GI the slower the release of blood glucose. So banana should be better when it comes to sustained energy, no? Not that it has any relevance to most of us.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    People wouldn't like sweet potatoes so much if they were called "cranky potatoes."
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: I have a banana every day, probably why i am not losing weight. hey ho! Thought they were a healthy snack?

If you have enough calories left to have a banana, I can't see the problem.

Enjoy! :D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Please read this for all you're GI info.

http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/453817-low-gi-vs-high-gi-diet-satiety-energy-intake-bw

If you can't fit a banana into your daily macro/cal targets you're doing it wrong!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Get thee behind me, banana.
    this completely made my day.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    They are good - in moderation. they have lots of nutrients in them like potassium -
  • bigtone34
    bigtone34 Posts: 136
    Options
    They may be high in sugar but they beat the hell out of the pop tarts I used to eat by the box!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'd recommend eating at least one banana every day!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The problem is that they are yellow.
    Don't you know that yellow foods are the worst for you?
    Think chips/fries, butter, chiko rolls, corn dogs... I could go on!