Why the hate?!

Options

Replies

• vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Totally get what you are saying but my view I am glad those kind of people don't have a filter it lets you know the people you wouldn't want to know regardless of your size.:flowerforyou:

THIS IS SOO TRUE!!
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Very well said and written.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I don't think anyone here is really asking for fat acceptance.
    We're fat people looking for acceptance. That's different!

Yes! I especially liked this part. Thank you for such a well-written post!
  • autumnrose2
    Options
    What a beautiful post. This part rang so true:

"How many of you started out small and thought you were fat because you didn't love yourself, and would give anything to return to that weight?"

I was 115-120 lbs at almost 5'0 in high school, and was constantly called chubby, ugly, fat, even "whale" by classmates. My self esteem took a beating, and I withdrew from the world during college, rapidly putting on weight. I got up to a high point of 190 lbs when I graduated from college. Through slow but sensible diet choices, I got down to 173 lbs over the next few years. That's when I discovered this site. Just over 2 weeks in and I'm down 7 pounds and feeling healthy and hopeful. I look at pictures of myself in high school, and want to cry. I was beautiful, and with just a little weight training would have been downright hot. I'm learning to put other people's opinions of my body to the side...what matters is a healthy, happy ME!

Cheers to all of you =)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's so hard to learn to love one's self. I taught myself at about age 13. I got quite good at it, actually. :bigsmile:
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't hate fat people, especially since i'm one of them. I just hate fat, it's like the plague. What good does it do anyway? I mean, it's not like it cushions your organs and provide valuable energy stores for a long and scarce winter :wink:

Edit: Buckwheat always beats me to the post :(
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I may be overstepping here .... but I don't think fat acceptance or even acceptance is going to make people love themselves any more. Self esteem has to come from inside, and has to be all about SELF ACCEPTANCE. I've been called fat, ugly, a b!tch, disgusting, BBW ... some of those are true at some time or another ... but that doesn't change how much I love who I am.

Being overweight sucks, and of course we should all treat each other with respect because we're all people .... but don't blame ignorant jerks or insensitive *kitten* for the way you feel about yourself. Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's so hard to learn to love one's self. I taught myself at about age 13. I got quite good at it, actually. :bigsmile:

I agree...I've been wearing glasses/contacts since age 12...coincidence? I think not...
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You typed too much! I didn't read it but.....WTG I guess
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else here but I love myself every night.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have worked for many years with children and adults who have developmental disabilities, and I think the person centered perspective I have learned from being in this field applies to people who have a weight challenge as well. You should not say, "the autistic (substitute: schizophrenic, mentally retarded, downs syndrome, learning disabled) person..." There is much more to a person than a label. You should say, "The person with (or who has) autism (schizophrenia, a learning disability, etc)..." Same with people who have weight challenges or food challenges, or whatever. We should not refer to each other with labels such as the fat or obese person, etc. It is a matter of sensitivity and opens the door to being able to see and appreciate the whole person, including all their abilities and strengths, not just limiting ourselves to seeing the flaws. When we think about ourselves, we should also recognize that we are complex beings with many qualities, not just excess weight. Love yourself? You betcha! Health decisions will follow.
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree very much! Before I ever truly became fat I felt fat, was told I was fat cuz I was bigger than the average kid (and by that i was in the 98th percentile on the growth charts) by my family and this helped to spawn a deep self loathing and misperception of myself. Even now that I have accomplished so much weight loss and fitness I still frequently have a hard time accepting that I am no longer that "fat". In my mind I still feel fat and I have to fight that alot. I often expect to see that person that I was in the mirror. I think that is just as much of a challenge as the actual weightloss or possibly moreso is the battle against your misperceptions.

There is nothing easy about all this, it is however important to accept yourself no matter what you are, and if you can find a balance being very overweight then more power to you. I couldn't I know this for myself but am not interested in denigrating others for their weight problems or lack there of. I have been in what felt like the depths of hell with my food addictions and I know what it takes to get out. But my answers are my own and I can't say whats best for anyone else.

Its best in my opinion to hope the best for others, offer your support, and not to cause more harm.

I can't say self love is my strong suit but I am working on it, and I am doing better now than I ever have! I do get a lot of hope from this site, and support and I think that is a great thing.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration. Thank you for saying what so many people choose to ignore. It's a simple life ideal that people need to keep close to their hearts.

As Don Henley so eloquently puts it in "The Heart of the Matter":

"Trust and self-assurance
    They lead to Happiness
    They're the very things
    We kill I guess"
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You typed too much! I didn't read it but.....WTG I guess

Dude, what's the point of posting a reply like this? Giving someone a 'WTG I guess' is incredibly ridiculous.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was a bit incensed this morning on facebook, Someone put pics of a healthy food and a picture of thin, fit bodies saying if you eat this- this is how you will look...
    Then there was a pic of cheeseburger, fries and a coke and an equal sign to very obese bodies. I was disgusted by it because it's not always accurate and seemed very stereotypical! I eat healthier and work out way more than my very skinny, fast metabolism cousins- but if you look at me you would just assume the stereotype.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    WOW. Can we join you?:laugh:
    I can't speak for anyone else here but I love myself every night.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! If you dont love yourself and accept that this is the body you have now, you wont feel like it is "worth" all the work to make it better. It is entirely possible to love yourself and with that love understand that you have to make changes to be able to love it for a very long time.

Great post! I was thinking bout this the other morning, " what's the use and who cares anyway?" Then I thought I care!!!!
    Wonderful thread.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have to love myself at every size. If I hated myself while being overweight, I wouldn't care enough to change it. I have to love my chubby self enough to exercise, feed myself properly and treat myself better.

In fact, sometimes hating the fat makes it grow....

Personally, I wish that beauty magazines would use models of ALL sizes. There are a zillion skinny fashion models. Then there are the spreads that feature the "plus sized" models. (Most of the "plus sized models aren't really plus sized, but that's another story.) I would LOVE to see ads with both thin and heavy physiques that associate with each other. I think Dove is the only brand that has stepped up to the plate in that regard.

A beautiful person is a person who takes care of themselves and who is confident. This is not exclusive to any size or shape. I firmly believe this.

I want to lose weight because I'm afraid of diabetes. I am not losing it for vanity. Although, for many people, vanity is a huge motivator, but vanity can lead to unhealthy ways of losing weight.

I've been both thin (almost underweight) and obese. I feel more or less the same either way. I am perceived differently though. As a skinny person, I got a lot of attention, both good and bad. As a heavy person, I go mostly unnoticed.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options

So glad for you, TD. I wish I could have learned to love myself that young. As it was, it finally happened in the later part of my fourth decade! How to fulfill Jesus second greatest commandment in Matt 22:39 is a complete mystery to most evangelical/fundamentalists in America. WWJD - is code for, how will you martyr yourself for others today? I grew up a co-dependent raised by co-dependents. Breaking that cycle was the hardest thing I've ever accomplished.

No one can have a healthy or honest body image of themselves without first truly loving themselves. No one can truly love themselves without tossing out the fixation with the whole martyr-hero complex. Individuals are their own heros - and it's absolutely amazing to watch people take responsibility for themselves by making good, adult choices. One of those good, responsible choices is the theme of this topic: respect for bodies, all bodies.

Doesn't matter how I was in the past or will be in the future, if I'm not happy with myself now, I'll never be happy at some future date when something else happens. Definately, I'll be glad when the excess baggage is gone BUT it doesn't stop me from loving myself right now and encouraging others to love themselves right now too. Course, they can love me too!! I'll take all the love I can get!!!

-Debra (the LastSixty)