not losing weight but doing Insanity???

Options
I am doing Insanity and i have set my daily goal to 1000 calories but yesterday I changed to 1200 calories but I am not losing weight.. . Whats going on? I was hoping to lose at least 4 kg this month but nothing... help please...

Replies

• shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Your body needs that fuel esspecially if you are doing Insanity!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    how long have you been do it.

Are you measuring your body with a tape measure, and or checking clothing fit?

You have also likely been eating to little, its an intense program.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I did the whole p90x program on 1200 calories... I lost like 5lbs the whole time, but I lost a TON of INCHES everywhere....

Make sure you are taking your measurements and tons of photos.
  • Sebnem123
    Sebnem123 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ok....i have been doing it for 2 weeks..
  • kstrnad1
    Options
    Make sure you are also on a work out plan, exercises is one of the main ways to keep your body metabolism up even if you reduce your caloric intake. Might want to try to work out twice a day.

If that still isn’t working look at your local GNC or vitamin store for some safe and natural thermo-genic metabolism boosters. CLA at GNC is a safe way to keep your body metabolizing the proper amount of calories every day even with a reduced amount.

remember weight loss is a science, anyone can do it with proper motivation and commitment.

Good Luck :)
  • amberinco
    Options
    1000 calories? That's it? You're putting your body into starvation mode so it's holding onto everything it can!

From the research I've done, you should be eating about 1900 calories (for weight loss) so you have the fuel for Insanity workouts and fuel for the "after burn". If you eat too little your body will hold onto it in fear that it's not going to get enough.

Also, you may not be following your diet plan, but you should be looking at what nutrients are in their foods at each meal and mimic the nutrients. There's a reason for it!

Hope that helps!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough in a day at 1000 or even 1200 calories per day. 1000 is far too low for the average person, 1200 is the lowest you should go. Up your calories and ensure you are counting right, have portions figured out properly and ensure you are properly inputting the intensity of any workouts you do.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    At 1200 you're still not eating enough
    How many calories are you burning doing Insanity?
    eat 1200 plus what you're burning.

You need to eat!
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Your body is storing the fat from not getting enough food. I know it sounds backwards but you NEED to be eating more when doing this workout or you will not get the results you are looking for. I would redo your calculations and see what you should be eating. As an example, I'm at 5'6", 140lbs and I need to be eating 1,746 a day on Insanity. I choose to do it as 40% (carbs)/40% (protien)/20% (fats) but everyone varies on how they would like their percentages. Good luck!
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    when I did insanity, my HRM said I was burning between 500-600 calories for the workout, so definitely increase your calories. And make sure you're measuring yourself for the inches, because I definitely gained muscle and lost inches during it!
  • enusker
    enusker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on day 24 of insanity. I am 5'6 and 156. The scale hasn't nudged! I am eating 1200 calories a day, but after reading this I am upping my calorie un-take and seeing what happens!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All beach body programs are designed to be high intensity and all required proper nutrition to lose weight. Even chalean extreme suggest 1500-1700 calories for women, 1800-2200 for men at the minimal. P90X suggest 1800 calories at the minimal for women (level 1) and generally 2400-2600 for Men (level 2). And since insanity is just as rediculous as P90X and P90X2, you should be looking around 1800 calories at least, probably more. Use the link below to estimate your caloric needs. It's fairly close. But you have to remember, food is fuel and you need to eat to lose. I know it sounds crazy, but I pack down 2800 calories and haven't lost. A few days ago I ate 3400 calories and lost 1.5 lbs. It's just your bodies way to telling you that nutrition is key.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love that you research the calorie intake. Alot of people are eating way to little (1200) and are damaging their metabolism. I recently had a resting metabolic rate test done and it said that I should also be eating 1900 to lose. Well I have heard for so long to eat 1200 I had a really hard time believing it!! The Dr.s I work with convinced me to try eating a minimum of 1500 and said I would lose weight. I didnt believe them but I am down 5 pds since the test. They did say it would take a little longer to lose the weight just because my body is fixing my metabolism and recovering from me not feeding it enough off and on for the last 2 years. No wonder I was struggling and platauing so bad!! I have alot more energy now and do not have issue with food the way I did!! Oh I should mention I do not eatback my excersize calories unless its a special occasion :)
  • enusker
    Options
    I know it said to eat more, but I lost 30lbs doing p90x and wanted to push myself to lose the last 20. It doesn't make sense to eat more to lose, but what I was doing obviously wasn't working.g.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I know it said to eat more, but I lost 30lbs doing p90x and wanted to push myself to lose the last 20. It doesn't make sense to eat more to lose, but what I was doing obviously wasn't working.g.

As your decrease body fat and weight, your body works harder to hold onto calories as it fears it won't obtain it's proper nutrition. Unfortunately, if you were doing 1200 calories on P90X, you probably lost a lot of muscle even though it provides weight training. Low calories and hard exercise is a combination to kill the metabolism. Your body requires calories to burn effectively as well as function. When you don't eat enough, it attacks the amino acids in your muscle of energy.
  • enusker
    Options
    I ate 1500 calories on p90x. That was last year at this time. I fell off the fitness track and after gaining back almost 10lbs, I am back in it. I also have a condition called PCOS which affects my blood sugars. Although I am not a diabetic, the treatment is a diabetic med. I was told that after I lost some weight I wouldn't have to take it anymore, but this doesn't seem to be the case. This condition makes it hard to lose weight as well. Anyway, it was much easier last time, so I will increase my calories and hope for the best. I was just being stupid and thinking that less calories would equal a fast weight loss. There is never an "easy/quick fix", just time, proper nutrition, and exercise! Lesson learned:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I ate 1500 calories on p90x. That was last year at this time. I fell off the fitness track and after gaining back almost 10lbs, I am back in it. I also have a condition called PCOS which affects my blood sugars. Although I am not a diabetic, the treatment is a diabetic med. I was told that after I lost some weight I wouldn't have to take it anymore, but this doesn't seem to be the case. This condition makes it hard to lose weight as well. Anyway, it was much easier last time, so I will increase my calories and hope for the best. I was just being stupid and thinking that less calories would equal a fast weight loss. There is never an "easy/quick fix", just time, proper nutrition, and exercise! Lesson learned:)

I am very familiar with PCOS as my wife has it. Just make sure you keep your carbs to 80-100 g's and make your diet high in fats and proteins. Calories isnt' what is hurting you, it would be the carbs from what i have read.
  • jillianr78
    jillianr78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So do you only eat the increased calories (i.e. 1800) or do you eat those plus eat back your exercise calories? I think that would be way too much food for one day!!! I am doing insanity at 1350 daily calories and eating back some/most of my exercise calories and so far no weight loss. ( I am on week 2 of insanity)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So do you only eat the increased calories (i.e. 1800) or do you eat those plus eat back your exercise calories? I think that would be way too much food for one day!!! I am doing insanity at 1350 daily calories and eating back some/most of my exercise calories and so far no weight loss. ( I am on week 2 of insanity)

Do me a favor and use the BMR calculator on this site and post your results. I can do some calculations and we can go from there..
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you will be puttting on muscle probably, which weighs more than fat. but will still be losing body fat.