Weight lifting for women

Options
I am trying to get into weight lifting but not sure what I should be doing...reps...etc....does anyone have a routine they follow...
and would like to share??? I have been doing a little mostly bicep curls...not even sure what equipment to be using...I do have access to the gym...hope you can help

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    I use a lot of stuff from Oxygen magazine and muscle and fitness Hers..... you can google them and find routines in them.... the Oxygen ones I think are a bit easier for beginners, it explains the movements more....
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I saw this web sight on here a few days ago, maybe it would help!

Also, exerciseTV.com may have some info on how to start. I get this through cable and love some of the routines. The guy I like the most is Roger ****erman.

Good luck!
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I saw this web sight on here a few days ago, maybe it would help!

Also, exerciseTV.com may have some info on how to start. I get this through cable and love some of the routines. The guy I like the most is Roger ****erman.

Good luck!

Unbelievable! The sensor button on MFP has taken out half of the man's last name! It's D*ckerman
  • Emery313
    Options
    bump
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    p90x shoulders and arms is AMAZING! I am still sore and did it Tuesday! It is a hour dvd and it flys by so quickly!
  • lucanaut
    lucanaut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look up LesMills.com and find a Bodypump class at a gym near you. I'm a guy and lost 19 lbs doing it (with MFP) but lots of women take it - in fact the majority. Now I teach it. It's a barbell weightlifting and cardio class that targets each muscle group, helping you build strong, lean muscle and burn up to 560 calories. It's offered in many gyms throughout the world. Check it out!!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into lifting as well. I intend to start the Bodypump classes and free weights. I was recommended by someone on here to get "the new rules of lifting for women" book. I found it on Amazon.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Where are you? I can probably recommend some top-notch instructinon at a very reasonable price in Olympic weightlifting. Take a look at this clip of Natalie Woofolk-Burgener. The lifts work every muscle in the body in every rep. Can't guarantee that you'll make the U.S. Olympic team but I can guarantee that you'll never be in better condition from traing with weights. It's tremendous fun, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCmrHVHA8J0&feature=related
  • mariodispenza
    mariodispenza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hottie 11 is correct.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump to read later and take in the excellent links.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5: http://www.stronglifts.com/

Starting Strength: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326983561&sr=8-1

In short, low rep, high weight, compound movement, and SIMPLICITY. Start with a bare barbell (typ. 45 lb) and work up incrementally.
  • LeSsOvMe
    LeSsOvMe Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm reading the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women written by Lou Schuler. You should read it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym then I would suggest talking to a trainer.

Say something along the lines of Hey, I'm new to weight lifting and have no idea what to do. They can help you set up a program and show you proper form so that you don't get injured.
  • Fit2B50
    Options
    I hired a trainer several months ago and have been seeing results. if u go to askthetrainer.com u will see a lot of the exercises we do. Go to the section for women. Also there should b a trainer that works for the gym that can take u around and show u what equipment to use for the areas u want to work.
  • krazykimmie
    Options
    I love Body Pump and Body Combat. I get my weight training with Body Pump and my cardio with Body Combat and it is so addicting. Not going to a class never crosses my mind. The music is great, the atmosphere is awesome and you see results. The only issue I have is figuring out how to input body pump and body combat into my exercise tracker...lol
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

And whatever you do, don't listen to anyone who says high reps/light weights...it'll get you nowhere

This! Absolutely!!! The book is only around $16 and a great investment, great read and awesome routines all spelled out for you! I didn't start getting the results I wanted till I implemented this plan!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer in Feb of last year, and i'm still using one. Awesome coach, makes sure my form is spot-on, and pushes me on days when i don't want to push myself.

I'm also reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", so add another vote there.

Lift hard, lift heavy! Even if you can't afford a trainer long term, i'd suggest using one at the beginning to make sure you know how to do the exercises correctly, and get some input into putting together your routine.

We change up my routine every 6 weeks or so, but currently here is what we're doing:

Mon - off
    Tues - Zumba, 1 hour
    Wed - 2 hours lifting, back and arms, followed by 45 minutes cardio
    Thurs - 1 hour heavy legs, 1 hour cardio
    Fri - 2 hours, bodyweight and core, 30 minutes cardio
    Sat - 2 hours, chest and arms; 45 minutes cardio
    Sun - 2 hours, shoulders and light legs; 1 hour cardio

Exercises we did yesterday -

4 sets of assisted pullups (I'll be able to do these on my own one day!)
    4 sets seated one-arm low rows
    4 sets power rows
    4 sets one-arm pull-downs
    5 sets pushups, feet on BOSU
    5 sets short-bar cable bicep curls
    4 sets triceps extensions
    4 sets bent barbell rows
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    That sure is a lot of hard work! Amazing :)
  • cammers74
    Options
    I do bodypump twice a week but might try this book you're all raving about if its that good!