losing weight too slowly

Options
anyone having the same issue? I just started 3 weeks ago and the first week I lost 4.2 pounds. The next week was .8 pounds. I have been drinking water, doing zumba, walking, shooting hoops, and balancing my diet with carbs, fats, and protein. I'm starting to get really discouraged and I know that any weightloss is better than none, but I have at least 80 pounds to lose and at this rate, it will be YEARS before I see that kind of loss. MFP tells me I should be consuming 1240 calories a day. I've been really good at staying within 50 calories of that. Any suggestions? I need help.

Replies

• morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary. Are you eating your exercise calories? Are you eating often enough? Drinking plenty of water?
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i will make it public. yes. i think. and yes :-)
  • NavyIT85
    NavyIT85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your body is adapting to the lower calorie intake. If you are not looking to deprive yourself of any nutrition, you will just need to up the tempo of your workouts a little. maybe add an extra 15 minutes to your zumba, or increase the pace/distance of your walk. Could work your way up to a jog. My wife used something called the couch-to-5k program and went from not being able to a mile, to she can do 2 miles without stopping after only a few weeks.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - c25k

Hope this helps =)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale to make sure your portions are correct?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    anyone having the same issue? I just started 3 weeks ago and the first week I lost 4.2 pounds. The next week was .8 pounds. I have been drinking water, doing zumba, walking, shooting hoops, and balancing my diet with carbs, fats, and protein. I'm starting to get really discouraged and I know that any weightloss is better than none, but I have at least 80 pounds to lose and at this rate, it will be YEARS before I see that kind of loss. MFP tells me I should be consuming 1240 calories a day. I've been really good at staying within 50 calories of that. Any suggestions? I need help.

You've lost 6lbs in three weeks. Congratulations! MFP is working perfectly for you. You shouldn't be losing much more than 2lbs a week. This isn't The Biggest Loser. You aren't going to lose 40lbs a month because that's unhealthy.

What you will do is take the weight off slowly and learn to keep it off for good. That's better than any fad diet there is.

You'll be able to lose that 80lbs in less than a year. It took you a lot longer than that to put it all on. Be patient and stick with it.
  • weisses
    weisses Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there.

To be quite truthful, as the gentleman before me said, this isn't The Biggest Loser, so pounds aren't just going to come flying off in weeks. All you have to do is just keep at it, and just make sure that you are only doing your weight loss regime at the pace that is healthy and comfortable for you, instead of eating a cracker a day or something. Yes, it will be difficult at times, and yes, it will mean that some weeks you will have lost 3 pounds, other weeks .3 of a pound, but just keep at it and make sure that you keep in mind that you can do it. :) I know that it's very difficult no matter what end of the spectrum that you are doing, be it weight loss or weight gain. And also, to make your weigh-in a bit more accurate, try and measure your weight when you wake up, because then your stomach will be empty and you won't have all that food in there as well.

Personally, I weigh myself at the beginning of the day and the end of the day and just make sure that whatever I do I try and log, or at least try to remember what I have done during the day to try and get the most accurate reading possible.

Just keep at it and remember that you can do it, but just do it at your own pace. :)
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had that difficulty myself -- and I'd offer you three ideas -- one inspirational, the other three are just suggestions.

1. I'm trying to lose 22 pounds. Not nearly so hard as 80, I know, but I'm a gal who is under 5' tall, so it's a fair bit for me. I lost about 8 right away (within 3-4 weeks), and then I stayed at the same weight for about 3 months, even though I thought I was doing the same things as before, or so it seemed.

Then, suddenly, I lost another 8 in literally 2 weeks. I was so surprised that I thought my scale was broken, so I bought a new one. My new scale gives the same result, and I really do look different, and I have dropped 2 clothes sizes, so it's real. :-) I think that, actually, during the 3 months of zero progress, my body was kind of getting ready to lose the rest -- I was "saving up" some weight loss for later or something.

2. Here are three things that I do think helped me get past the rut:

A. I think I was estimating my portion sizes incorrectly before. I started using a postal scale to weigh foods every now and then, just to re-calibrate my understanding of how much 2 oz. of cheese is, etc.

B. I started to weigh myself every, first thing when I got up in the morning. I know some people say not to do that, but I found it helpful. I would record the weight, including tenths of pounds, every day in MFP. Then I looked at the progress thing every day on MFP to see the overall trend, even when it was subtle. That also helped me notice when I was slowly gaining weight before it got too bad.

C. I think I was tricking myself with exercise before. I think that for some people, the MFP estimates of calories burned through exercise might be too high. For example, it would say that I had burned 90 cal. through walking, for instance, so then I'd get an extra 90 cal in my food allotment for the day. But I don't think I was really burning as much as MFP said I was, so I was eating an extra 90 cal. when I maybe had only burned 50 cal, or something. I feel like the MFP "calories burned" estimates for exercise are maybe more accurate for taller people, or men, or something, but maybe not me.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker and your post, you've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks. That's great!!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have been at it for roughly 3 weeks so far and have only dropped 2-3 lbs. I feel some days like I am starving myself and then working out so hard and not getting any results. I am doing my best to stay focussed though and stay positive knowing that in time, I will see the results I want. It can be a struggle, but we are capable of acheiving our goals!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As Whodatgirl77 pointed out, you're doing fantastic! 4 pounds in a week is a lot, and honestly it's mostly water weight. If you think you can keep up with someone on TV like the Biggest Loser contestants, that's just not reality. A 1-2 pound loss per week is fantastic. And there's nothnig wrong with it taking 2 years to get rid of 80 pounds - that's about how long it's taken me to lose that much! I might've been able to do it faster but I can tell you I've only been discouraged a couple times (month long plateaus) and am overjoyed that I've lasted this long after multiple failures in the past.

I'd suggest that you start tracking your sodium as high sodium days can lead to water retention. Also, if you've changed up your activity at all recently, that can also lead to water retention - keep this rule in mind - if your muscles are sore you've got extra water weight. When muscles are sore, they have little tears in them and will retain water as part of the healing process. Also, as a woman you should know your monthly cycle will effect that # of the scale too.

Be patient and focus on getting healthy (not just skinny). Also, take measurements, they can be a great indication of progress when the scale's being a jerk. :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else said :) What you're experiencing is completely normal - the TV shows are NOT normal. As for your calories, if anything you should increase that by a few hundred a day. I've never managed to lose weight effectively at 1200 calories/day, but when I lost around 50 a few years ago it was at 1400-1500/day. Right now my trainer has me on 1800/day and that's based on a lifestyle of only light to moderate activity. Her words "consistently losing even a pound a week over the long term is going to mean WORK." But that initial week of losing a few pounds is definitely a nice psychological boost.
  • Steph62002
    Options
    Ditto this. Keep up the good work!
    You've lost 6lbs in three weeks. Congratulations! MFP is working perfectly for you. You shouldn't be losing much more than 2lbs a week. This isn't The Biggest Loser. You aren't going to lose 40lbs a month because that's unhealthy.

What you will do is take the weight off slowly and learn to keep it off for good. That's better than any fad diet there is.

You'll be able to lose that 80lbs in less than a year. It took you a lot longer than that to put it all on. Be patient and stick with it.
  • katsmit2
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am trying to lose baby weight and then some. I'm 5'9, and was at 216 post baby #3. (I was at 179 before baby #3 - which was a little high for me). I lost down to 185 on my own, and began MFP at the beginning of this month to help me with the rest. I'd like to get down to 160.

I've lost NOTHING so far! So disappointing b/c I have really began exercising (I wasn't before). Yet, I'm still at 185 as of this morning. boo! I am staying under 1200 calories per day - a few days I went a bit over, but it was exercise calories so I didn't feel too bad. But now, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat those extra exercise calories...I'm not sure...anyway I think I'm going to do my measurements to see if possibly I'm losing inches rather than weight. I do feel better adding the exercise - but still disappointed about not losing anything else yet.
  • sanrdj
    sanrdj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can I make one suggestion? Add the Sodium tab to your diary. Although you are within your calories for the day, your sodium may be a bit high with some of the pre packaged Lean Cuisine items that you are eating. I made my sodium column visible and noticed that many days my sodium was way too high.

But yes, I agree with everyone else - 3 weeks and 6 lbs! Way to go.... at least the scale is moving in the right direction. :)

good luck!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    The most important thing for me to lose is keeing my macro and micronutrients in the green. I can eat 1200 calories a day and exercise til I'm blue in the face, but the scale won't budge if you're going in the red everyday. I'm not saying that's what you're doing since i haven't looked at your diary, but that's been my experience. Sodium is the worst culprit, next is carbs, get plenty of protein. Good luck!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You didn't put the weight on in a month. You won't take the weight off in a month. I know that most people by far want it gone ASAP but unfortunately that's not typically how it works. Especially as you get to the end of the journey, it slows to a crawl.

1) it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet that you can dump after you are done (you will gain all your weight back)

2) like most people who start off, you may be starving yourself and your body's metabolism is giving you the high middle finger and slowing itself down to match what you are doing to it. Don't starve yourself.

3) it helps immensely to workout and sweat. 30 minutes a day minimum.

4) it takes time.

5) it takes time.

6) it takes time.

7) it takes time.

8) it takes time.

9) it takes more time.

10) you need patience. Because it takes time.
  • vadiane1
    Options
    I too am losing slowly..but this week added my sodium tab. All I can say was WOW what an eye opener! So now I am watching that as well as my cholesterol intake. The scale budged a bit this morning (not a pound but part of one) so it's helping!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough for one. A lot of days, you're 200 calories below. Some days your carbs are higher than what is allowed and some days your fat is over. Your processed sugar is really high too (NOT sugar from fruit, I'm talking about the brownies).

I would also suggest to flip flop your meals too. Eat the bulk of your calories in the morning, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like the working man and dinner like a pauper (or something like that). I would also suggest to increase the protein.
  • clairetillman
    clairetillman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am trying to lose baby weight and then some. I'm 5'9, and was at 216 post baby #3. (I was at 179 before baby #3 - which was a little high for me). I lost down to 185 on my own, and began MFP at the beginning of this month to help me with the rest. I'd like to get down to 160.

I've lost NOTHING so far! So disappointing b/c I have really began exercising (I wasn't before). Yet, I'm still at 185 as of this morning. boo! I am staying under 1200 calories per day - a few days I went a bit over, but it was exercise calories so I didn't feel too bad. But now, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat those extra exercise calories...I'm not sure...anyway I think I'm going to do my measurements to see if possibly I'm losing inches rather than weight. I do feel better adding the exercise - but still disappointed about not losing anything else yet.

I haven't had a baby but also started MFP at the beginning of January. I have been under my calorie goal every day (not too far under) and my scale says I gained .3 lbs! That was such a bummer, but I can tell my clothes are fitting looser than before I started. I have been working out, 3 hours of Zumba a week! Don't know what's going on.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    did you log everything in your diary? because it shows at least for the last week, you're not eating enough. I would pass out on that intake . weight loss=you gotta eat