5'11 models!?

Options
13»

Replies

• TraceyDonna
    Options
    Im 5' 11". I dont model now (42 now so bit beyond that), however, I did when I was 16/17. I have to admit though, I was seriously thin. Looking back on pics of that time dont actually look that nice to me now. Im a UK size 12 now and I know if I got much less I would look like a string bean. I dont particularly want that. Just dont go too crazy, coz even though we all want to be slimmer, its nice to still have a female shape.

xx
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    What bugs me about the modeling industry is what they call plus size!! Size 12?!! or 9?!! Hello...I must be extra plus-size. That's not even cool. Way to make the average woman feel good. Geez. This is why I don't even pay attention to fashion.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Gabriel Reese was 6'3" and 170 when she was modeling. I'd post a pic If I could figure out how. Beautiful woman.

I'm 6' and used to model at 135/ 140.

Brooke shields is 5' 11" and modeled at weights between 118 and 130 Pretty thin, but she has a thin build.

Then there's Iman, 5' 10" and a size 6, huge for a model.

Actually, I'm not sure what your question was, so I'll stop there. :happy:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I thought I was 5'9 1/2" well went to the DR. last week and my dream was crushed I'm only 5'8". LOL As for trying to look like anyone, forget it, look the best you can look. Alot of models are airbrushed, be the best YOU can be, I don't see why you couldn't model. Heck I know women who are 200+ modeling because they believed in themselves go do what you like!
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do modelling one day!

At 24, you are too old to start a serious modeling career :( Sad but true. (I am talking about signing with the big agencies.) Also, to do runway, you need to weigh between 110 and 120 @ 5'11". Another sad truth. (Unless, of course you are a VS model and you better not be over 135)

That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying!

I highly, highly recommend this documentary. It takes a balanced look at being a model.

http://youtu.be/3lm1r4T5pUY

(edited to fix link)
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and I would never want to be model size. People keep mentioning Tyra Banks and even Tyra Banks has told the world that she was literally starving herself to remain thin when she was modeling. It is not a healthy size and I do not condone trying to be that size unless you naturally have a thin frame.
  • AtomicLemon
    Options
    Check out this site for Ford models. http://models.fordmodels.com/models

Click on a girl's photo - then click to the left where is says FORD. Under the photo, the girl's height, measurements and size will
    pop up. 99% of them are under 18, 5'10 and 5'11 and size 2.
  • AtomicLemon
    Options
    This:

cUhxM.jpg
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow, really makes one miss the beautiful models of the 80's and 90's. It's a different world out there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This:

cUhxM.jpg

You know, I'm one of those people who wants to be teeny tiny. I just like being the smallest (healthy) person in the room. I want to be toned, but I don't want to be really muscular, that kind of thing.

But I STILL don't want to look like this. She's beautiful, but she's too skinny. It doesn't look right. I find it very sad that girls have to practically starve to death to model these days.

Someone mentioned Iman and Brooke Shields, but when they were modeling, models were not unhealthy-skinny like they are now.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I used to do quite a bit of modeling. Since I am 5'10 I can afford to weigh more than 100 lbs like sitck models, but with my body type, I was always doing print, glamour, and "plus" I'm not a plus size at all, but when you wear a 12, and other models wear a 00, it's hard to compete. When I was modeling, I weighed 155, measurments were 36/29/34 :)

I am 5' 10" and when I was 35-26-37 (155 lbs.) I wore a 6/8 and everyone thought I was a 4 and 130 lbs. When you look up those measurements for modeling, though, we qualify for "Plus Size"!!! Made me angry! Well I could run 15 miles and a Victoria model couldn't probably run 2 :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and weight 123. I think we're good. I am told everyday that I should be modeling. I'm 31 so I am ancient. I am in a size 2 but last night just bought the first pair of 0's I've ever owned. I don't know that I am quite comfortable with that idea yet. I mean a zero is nothing, almost like I don't exist?!?!?! Anyway, I still have my hips and my thighs so other than plastic surgery, nothing is going to change it and I'm good with it. You just have to reach a point where you love yourself and are happy with yourself. I just want to be healthy and toned now. And keep up with my 3 year old son. He'll get me in shape better than anything out there!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1". When I was 18, I weighed 130 lbs. I was anorexic and occasionally bulimic to get to this size. My goal was 125 because I was trying to be the same size as a model I idolized. I had many health problems not to mention emotional problems. Obviously I still have food and body image issues, but now my goal is now to be 175 which is within my healthy weight range. Don't use the models your guide to being beautiful. All the guys I know like girls with a little meat on their bones!