Spinach in smoothies?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I put raw spinach in my smoothies all the time. When I want to switch it up, I use swiss chard. I can't taste it either, but that could just be me.
  • Blasian29
    Options
    You really can't taste spinach in smoothies! Plus it adds protein!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    1-2 ripe bananas (or ones that you have frozen)
    a handful of spinach leaves (I buy the already-washed organic baby spinach that comes in a package)
    about 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (frozen ones are cheaper, plus this is what makes the smoothie cold and icy without having to add ice)
    any other fruit you if you want to add, fresh or frozen (note that raspberries will make little seeds in the smoothie — my girls don’t like them)
    half of a small yogurt, or more if you like (I use dairy-free soy-free coconut milk yogurt)
    a dash of liquid, either milk (dairy or non-dairy) or any kind of juice
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Every smoothie I make has either spinach, broccoli, kale or romaine lettuce in it. Of that list, spinach is my favorite! All four of my kids beg for smoothies (ages 7 thru 17) and theirs always have spinach too! Don't be afraid, drink up!
  • charlesalvear
    charlesalvear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This sounds good but do you not put any liquid in it?

I use Unsweetened Almond Milk as the liquid in my shakes. I used Vanilla Soy Milk previously - enjoyed the flavor, but found the almond milk to be just as tasty and slightly fewer cals so I went with the lower cal option.
  • charlesalvear
    Options
    I've never made one myself because I have a crappy blender, but a lot of my favorite premade brands like Naked have spinach, and I looooove them. If you do it right you won't taste the spinach.

I was blenderless for a while and my nutritionist recommended a Ninja blender. I love it! I believe I bought it for around $40 at Walmart and it came with a mini food processor as well.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Had to live off of smoothies a few years ago when the last wisdom tooth was coming in (yes, I have them all). I actually went through veggie withdrawal. I <3 veggies. But, yeah, I experimented with putting veggies in my fruit smoothies, and I really couldn't taste the spinach.
  • charlesalvear
    Options
    This sounds good but do you not put any liquid in it?

Oops, I forgot to add that part... I use ice and a splash of almond milk.

I avoid using ice in my smoothies by using frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries. Gives it just the right amount of 'cold' level for my taste without watering down the flavor.

Ditto on the almond milk!

:)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So funny that this popped up now because I am just drinking a smoothie right now that i made with spinach in it..... Chocolate Almond Cherry :p trust me you cant taste the spinach!
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    sweet thid was a question i had too!!
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    bump!!
  • hermightychelle
    hermightychelle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas! Thanks for all the input.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's true. Blew my freakin mind!!

lol! mine too!
  • GigiBee824
    GigiBee824 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love spinach in my smoothies. My favorite is frozen mango, half frozen banana, and coconut water. Blend those together until smooth and then add in a big handful of spinach. It will make a bright green smoothie that tastes great.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks! I use spinach, frozen banana, a few blueberries, and either chocolate protein powder or unsweetened cocoa powder, depending on my calorie intake. If I have calories to spare, I'll use a bit of coconut butter or chia seeds...both great sources of healthy fats.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I change up spinach and kale (it looks like kale has more nutrients) and occasionaly find the spinach tastes like dirt! You have to make sure you have a stronger berry or lots of pineapple to hide it. Ordinary green kale is pretty bland, I tried a red and green one once that was horribly bitter! I put chia seeds in mine, too. Since I've done that the arthritis in my fingers and toes has vanished. Don't know if there's a connection, but nothing else has changed.