Vertical Sleeve saved my life and i am NOT ashamed!!!

Options
ngory07
ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
Ok this post is a success story, a life story, and a dedication to all my fellow memeber who have had WLS

First some things about me

I was born in Chicago from drug addicted parents. When I was 3 my mom overdoesed on heroin in bed with me. It messed me up. I was given to my gparents so my dad could continue using. Everytime I cried the solution was food. Not a blame just a fact. I was sent to an orphanage type place when I was 5. There I was raped by a staff member when I was 6. My dad died when I was 8. Throughout this food was my comfort. I loved to eat. I got chunky then overweight. Fastforward to the teenage yrs. I've had tons of therapy and medications. Behavioral problems. I turned to drugs. Went into foster care when I was 16. My weight went from 230 to 280. Got kicked onto the streets when I was 18 and began using crack. Homeless and alone I found out I was pregnant. Quit cold turkey. Got into a program, went to nursing school, and got a job and my own place. But I was STILL killing myself with food. Couldn't do drugs but I could eat. I loved that feeling food gave me. It was my best friend and my worst enemy. It didn't care where I came from it tasted good and made me feel something. At 304 lbs and no energy I was depressed. I had Vertical Sleeve gastrectomy Jan 24th 2011. It was work. I went through an alcohol addiction after for a few months. I had to change my damaging relationship with food.

When I was growing up I was never below 200. It was hard. I was insecure, meek, and I hated myself. I cried because I just couldn't stop eating. All those things that happened played a role in that but I knew I was an adult and had to make a decision. I have a son who means. The world to me. Did I want him to grow up without parents? So many questions ran through my head.

A yr later and so much has happened. Some good some bad. But I finally feel like me. Like I can be who I really am without the extra weight. I felt trapped at 304 lbs. No my life is not perfect but I finally have confidence and I stand up for myself. And I play with my son without feeling out of breath. I dance in public. I talk to strangers on the st. I smile more.

In conclusion WLS was the best option for me. It has finally given me a life because I wasn't living before. But I have worked my *kitten* off!! And no one can take that victory from me. To all my fellow wls ppl on here I am proud of each and every one of you!!!! We all have different stories that brought us to that point but we made a life changing descion to improve our health. So I say be proud and continue on to your success. Much love to MFP for the support on here. Hope everybody has an amazing day!

Replies

• soagirl777
    soagirl777 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Everyone has a different set of circumstances. Glad to hear you were able to rise above all the obstacles and perservere. Sounds like your son saved your life too! Regardless of how you lost the weight, you made the concious effort to do something about it. WTG!
  • ngory07
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Everyone has a different set of circumstances. Glad to hear you were able to rise above all the obstacles and perservere. Sounds like your son saved your life too! Regardless of how you lost the weight, you made the concious effort to do something about it. WTG!

Yes he did! He's my Angel!! I always say that God works in mysterious ways and I in no way deserved such a blessing at that time in my life. But I am so glad it was given to me!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss, and all the obstacle sometimes we are faced with in life and you have nothing to be ashamed off period!!
  • beachbum8
    beachbum8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! Agree with brit49 that you have nothing to be ashamed of! Look what you have done and accomplished now! Just simple amazed! Great job girl! :)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    God bless you. You have overcome insurmountable obstacles and have done an awesome job.

WLS is nothing to be ashamed of and for some of us it is the last resort and a very necessary step. I hate when people talk about it as if it was the easy way out. There's nothing easy about it. I had RNY and severe complications. But I lost the weight...almost all anyway and now that I'm almost 2 years out all the work is back on me. I do have some restrictions still from the surgery because too much sugar at one time will make me sick and my pouch will only hold so much, but I can still sabotage myself. However, now, 150 pounds less, I am able to go to the gym or workout 6-7 days a week. I am motivated to eat right and log my food on MFP. While I still make mistakes and have really been struggling with the last 20 pounds, for me the surgery was a last resort.

Again...great job and God Bless you and your son. Feel free to add me as a friend. :-)
  • manahelm
    manahelm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Clapping clapping clapping!!!! Awesome for you...hold your head high and be proud!!
    Mandy
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    1. I am SUPER proud of you for putting that all out there, because we know you didnt have to - so Kudos for that!
    2. I can TOTALLY relate to how the family resolved issues - with food.

*grabbing pom poms to cheer you on* YGG! Rock that sleeve!
  • shellybean826
    Options
    i think you did great ..but can i ask you a question ?? and personally i dont think losing by weight loss surgery is anything to be ashamed of ....you did the work and you used a tool ..just like everyone else ...
    but does the sleeve do something to take away the hunger ??? or does it just limit the amount you can eat ...sorry im ignorant about this type of surgery
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I would never judge someone who made a choice for them that was for their health. You should be extremely proud of yourself, not just for your weight loss, but from overcoming some huge obstacles in life. Congrats to you:flowerforyou:
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    wow... god bless!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    You're amazing.

and your son is gorgeous!!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Wow...what an absolutely amazing story you have. The first part of your life just absolutely heartbreaking. But, you made it out of the darkness. You fought the odds and won. I understand what you are saying about food being your best friend and your worst enemy. I feel like so many people don't understand that food is an addication and can be a drug. It's not like you can just stop eating! I am so happy for you and the life you have made for yourself. Congrats on all your success and thanks for sharing your story!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Wow. Amazing changes in your life. You are strong.

Pam
  • Ladyhawk71
    Ladyhawk71 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Well done, you've showed everyone that you change. You can be the change that you want!!! Your son has an awesome example of strength, courage and love.
  • ngory07
    Options
    i think you did great ..but can i ask you a question ?? and personally i dont think losing by weight loss surgery is anything to be ashamed of ....you did the work and you used a tool ..just like everyone else ...
    but does the sleeve do something to take away the hunger ??? or does it just limit the amount you can eat ...sorry im ignorant about this type of surgery

Feel free to ask away. It did at first. For about 8 months. It varies from person to person. Some is back now and I can eat more than I could at first. But its not the same "type" of hunger like before. And a little goes a long way when I snack because of it. I still have to be mindfull of mindless eating.

Thank u everybody for your comments and support!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

I have had the vertical sleeve as well, and I do not feel hungry. I literally have to make myself eat, to ensure I get enough protein in my diet.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to have you as a MFP friend, Ngory, AND this is one of the few times I will break my rule to no longer post on the forums. You more than deserve the kudos and acknowledgement and congratulations.

As you know, my weight loss journey is nothing like yours---not nearly so traumatic--however, I also had a VSG and credit it with saving my life. I lost over 123 pounds and have kept it off for over 15 months. Not only that, I'm more fit and healthy than ever before in my life. I will not now, or ever, justify my WLS choice, just as I don't ask those judgemental folks to justify their choices.

There was an earlier question about the VSG and hunger, I'd like to take a moment to explain. A VSG is not gastric bypass, it's actually a removal of 85-90% of the stomach (not stapling, removal). The most important part that is removed is the part of your stomach that creates the hunger causing hormone, ghrellin. So, not only do folks with VSGs have a small stomach, they have a very reduced hunger level. Though the new sized stomach will stretch a bit, it will never be at the capacity of a "normal" stomach. Right now, two years out (today is my surgiversary!), my stomach holds no more than 6 ounces at one time. I eat small meals, high in protein, all day long to get my maintenance calories in. I make the food I eat count--and only occassionally have a sweet if I want it. I exercise regularly to be fit.

Hope that answered the above question, and again, Ngory, you are a hero!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Never be ashamed of who you are! I'm so happy to know you and now even more so you have overcome so much and this is just part of the journey. you know that!!! Never forget life is about living so get out there and live!!!!
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    I had my VSG in May 2011 and have so far lost 61lbs and I have about 50 more to go! Congrats on your success :)
  • ngory07
    Options
    I'm proud to have you as a MFP friend, Ngory, AND this is one of the few times I will break my rule to no longer post on the forums. You more than deserve the kudos and acknowledgement and congratulations.

As you know, my weight loss journey is nothing like yours---not nearly so traumatic--however, I also had a VSG and credit it with saving my life. I lost over 123 pounds and have kept it off for over 15 months. Not only that, I'm more fit and healthy than ever before in my life. I will not now, or ever, justify my WLS choice, just as I don't ask those judgemental folks to justify their choices.

There was an earlier question about the VSG and hunger, I'd like to take a moment to explain. A VSG is not gastric bypass, it's actually a removal of 85-90% of the stomach (not stapling, removal). The most important part that is removed is the part of your stomach that creates the hunger causing hormone, ghrellin. So, not only do folks with VSGs have a small stomach, they have a very reduced hunger level. Though the new sized stomach will stretch a bit, it will never be at the capacity of a "normal" stomach. Right now, two years out (today is my surgiversary!), my stomach holds no more than 6 ounces at one time. I eat small meals, high in protein, all day long to get my maintenance calories in. I make the food I eat count--and only occassionally have a sweet if I want it. I exercise regularly to be fit.

Hope that answered the above question, and again, Ngory, you are a hero!

Thank u so much for your sweet words!! You are one of my biggest inspirations on here! And your weight loss has been amazing! I'm just praying I can maintain as well as you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!