The Coffee/Latte Question

Options
So, I admit it - I'm hooked on coffee. There is just something about a latte in the morning that kicks it off right. As I'm calorie tracking though it seems that latte just throws everything off. The additional sugar in the milk adds up quick and when I'm having a healthy breakfast it is just unneeded calories. I can understand cutting it out if you drink mochas or add sugar/syrups but I'm starting to think that I am going to have to cut the latte in order to meet my calorie goals (which I always seem to go over!).

I'm just wondering what others have done - switch to black? cut out completely? have as a treat? It's such a part of my morning routine that I'll be sad to cut it out. Also leads to another question - what to do about all the sugars in dairy. Low fat dairy has the calcium, protein, etc. that is great but those sugars always make me go over my daily goal.

Replies

• SFMegatron
    Options
    Bump :)
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Drink black coffee.... it grows on you. There are some really great flavored teas out there too! Green tea also helps with shedding the fat.... so there's an added benefit. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This is been a hard one for me too! But usually when I order a Starbucks latte now...I'll go with skim milk and just one pump of syrup (or packet of sugar) and I'll only order a tall (small). That along with eating sensibly for the rest of the day and exercise and I'm able to stay in my calorie range. Gone are the days of 2 Grande lattes a day.....everything in moderation! And remember......exercise burns calories which earns you extra calories......so you can have that latte!
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've tried going all black, skim milk, sugar substitutes, no sugar, etc...and have come to the conclusion that I am not happy giving up creamer in my coffee. So now I just incorporate the creamer into my meal plan...and if it means a smaller snack here and there, so be it.

I also don't have several cups of coffee a day. One is usual; maybe two on occasion. Three max, and that's usually because it's the weekend.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're hooked on warm milk, not coffee....
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black no cream or sugar at all, the calories arent worth it to me.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Milk's actually great for protein. You could switch to regular coffee, but another option would be to cut the calories somewhere else in your day (a lighter dinner for example).
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I am a mocha lover. My favorite mocha is 430 calories for a medium.

So I do one of two things.

My husband, the wonderful man he is, got me a Keurig for Christmas. I add 1 tbsp of creamer. It took some hunting to find ones that I like. I typically drink 2-3 cups a day. The creamer is about 35 calories per tbsp, and it does add up quick! But I just make sure I "make room" for it in my day.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr I skip food to sneak in a mocha. Or commit to burning calories somehow (long bike rides!). But I certainly have them a lot less often than I used to!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I just discovered a yummy alternative to milk/cream in coffee - Blue Diamond Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond and Coconut milk blend. It's soooo yummy and way more creamy than you'd think. I wasn't sure about the unsweetened part but I think the coconut milk gives it a natural sweetness. AND it's low in calories and carbs/sugars!
  • xckristie
    Options
    As long as you're under your calorie levels, I wouldn't worry too much. I have an apple and a banana, and I tip over on sugar... I only worry about my sugar number if it comes from refined sugars... Lactose and fructose are fine imho.
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    I take black coffee and add a little powdered non-dairy creamer (10 calories for two tablespoons) and then just add one or two splendas. I'm trying to get to the point where I can drink it plain and simple. Considering how much I used to add to it it's a drastic improvement.
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said a non-sweetened/ syruped latte was a great post workout drink. The caffiene keeps your metabolism up and keeps blood vessels dilated to keep nutrients going to muscles and the protien in milk helps rebuild damaged muscle tissue. So my suggestion is this: earn your morning latte! Do push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks- anything for 5-10 minutes and I'll bet that you not only burned off enough calories to have your latte, but you'll also feel more energized all day.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    do you make your own? switch to skim milk or try soy. (not sure if soy has less sugar)

i work at starbucks :}
    you could order a "skinny dirty chai" its chai with a shot of espresso in it, made with half steamed milk and hot water. cuts out half your milk, still has caffeen, and tastes good :]
  • flgrl3184
    Options
    Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Latte has only 100 calories. I believe they use splenda as well so it has little sugar :-)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    order an americano, ask for 1inch topper of milk - you are able to get the loevly coffee flavour, and a LITTLE milk - enough milky taste and a lot less calories!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing a daily Starbucks latte, and my wallet thanks me as well as my scale ;)
    But I still drink coffee with measured-out creamer and sugar at work every morning. I just fit it into my daily calories as part of my breakfast. Once a week or so, I get a latte as a treat, but I've discovered I like the skinny peppermint mochas at Starbucks and they're a little easier on my waistline. Just my personal 2 cents.
  • ikkle_hellie
    Options
    Go for a skinny Flat White - 67 cals vs 165 in a medium latte. Tastes much better than a latte too!

The rest of the time I drink Espresso or Black Drip Coffee.
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've tried going all black, skim milk, sugar substitutes, no sugar, etc...and have come to the conclusion that I am not happy giving up creamer in my coffee. So now I just incorporate the creamer into my meal plan...and if it means a smaller snack here and there, so be it.

I also don't have several cups of coffee a day. One is usual; maybe two on occasion. Three max, and that's usually because it's the weekend.

I'm exactly the same way! I tried alternatives to my normal morning brew but I found I wasn't enjoying it - life's too short to drink bad coffee :drinker: Just factor it in your daily caloric routine and enjoy it!
  • SFMegatron
    Options
    I love all these suggestions! I admit it has crossed my mind that I'm addicted to milk rather than coffee :)
    I don't do artificial sweeteners so the "skinny" sugar-free drinks are not an option. I think I just need to find a really good coffee that tastes good black and just go with it. No pain, no gain right? Though I do like the idea of a skinny chai w/espresso. - talk about a complicated drink order though :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk or coconut milk and sugar-free syrups for flavor.

My favorite is actually a coffee protein powder that is amazing :)

I make my protein shakes with decaf coffee, almond milk and 1 scoop click, 1 scoop chocolate protein.

Before you ask -- YES this counts toward your fluid for the day, regardless if you drink decaf or regular.