A perspective on "skinny" one's weight loss goal ...

Options

Replies

• Bhan133
    Bhan133 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think the problem really started when a lot more of the male designer started designing clothes for boyish frames that many of them (not all) were attracted to.

Sizing has also gotten larger over the years. People say Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 (uk sizing as far as I know) but I have seen first hand that the sizes have changed in the last 20-25yrs. I take after my mother and her womanly figure but small enough waist, I would classed as an hour glass, uk size 12 (but if bust and hips were excluded could get away with a 10 for my waist) I put on a high waisted midi skirt that my mother bought back in the 80s from Next and it was labelled a size 12 (UK) and it was a tight fit. I measured it against a high waisted pencil skirt I got in Primark a couple of years ago which was also a size 12 and there was over 1.5 inch difference between the two.

So on the assumption that sizing has all gone up one, Marilyn Monroe would be a a size 14
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not impressed with any of them - the top row or the bottom row.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is something that I didn't realize but the women at bottom are so hot compared to the super thin ones:huh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The problem is that everyone is trying to impose their own ideals on everyone else. You wanna be curvy? Go for it? You wanna be fit, lean and low body fat? Go for it. You wanna be somewhere in between? Go for it?

And really men are attracted to all kinds of physiques and good mean are attracted to PERSONALITY above looks (the looks might get you the first conversation but it certainly isn't going to get you the relationship).
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I see ribs
    6toes_pic.jpg

OMG give her a burger now! Disgusting!!! :sick:

Is this where Madonna got her bra ideas??
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Wow! This is something that I didn't realize but the women at bottom are so hot compared to the super thin ones:huh:

yeah its easy to be hotter when you compare candid shots taken of people on the beach to proffesional photo shoot shots
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I think the problem really started when a lot more of the male designer started designing clothes for boyish frames that many of them (not all) were attracted to.

Sizing has also gotten larger over the years. People say Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 (uk sizing as far as I know) but I have seen first hand that the sizes have changed in the last 20-25yrs. I take after my mother and her womanly figure but small enough waist, I would classed as an hour glass, uk size 12 (but if bust and hips were excluded could get away with a 10 for my waist) I put on a high waisted midi skirt that my mother bought back in the 80s from Next and it was labelled a size 12 (UK) and it was a tight fit. I measured it against a high waisted pencil skirt I got in Primark a couple of years ago which was also a size 12 and there was over 1.5 inch difference between the two.

So on the assumption that sizing has all gone up one, Marilyn Monroe would be a a size 14

This is untrue.
  • Bhan133
    Bhan133 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This is untrue.

Ok I apologise for my untruths, I hadn't read the previous posts on Marilyn Monroe and the the others werejust observations and slightly opinionated.

But fact remains that in a 20-25yr period in well known high-street shops in UK and Ireland, UK size 12 waist has increased by approximately 1.5inch
  • MsQt
    Options

yeah its easy to be hotter when you compare candid shots taken of people on the beach to proffesional photo shoot shots

Are you saying that the women in the bottom were enhanced to look thicker? Did you not realize that models and actresses have gotten smaller over time and young women all over the country are resorted to starving themselves to look like these stars.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Are you saying that the women in the bottom were enhanced to look thicker? Did you not realize that models and actresses have gotten smaller over time and young women all over the country are resorted to starving themselves to look like these stars. oh, and are you one of them?:indifferent: Seems from all your comments you have a **** stuck up your ****

No.. she's saying the bottom photos are from professional photo shoots... posed photo shoots. The top row are all candid shots, not professional. If you take a look at the professional shots of the top rows that fear posted you'd see the difference.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Are you saying that the women in the bottom were enhanced to look thicker? Did you not realize that models and actresses have gotten smaller over time and young women all over the country are resorted to starving themselves to look like these stars. oh, and are you one of them?:indifferent: Seems from all your comments you have a **** stuck up your ****

Nope not starving myself, and obviously you cant read because if you did you would see that all these womens messurements are pretty much the same. Compare those women with proffesional photos for both sets and how funny they look pretty much the same body wise. It is not ok to body shame it does not matter if the women are thick or thin. glad to see you embrace your ignorance and hypocrisy.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Marilyn-Monroe-7-2.jpg

Funny I dont see to much of a diffrence between them now
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

While were at it when was the last time Heide Montage,Nicole Riche,or even Kirstin Dunst were promoted by the media to be sex symbols women need to look up too?
    Heres a list of women that ARE promoted as sex symbols today
    Sofia Veraga
    Christina Hendriks
    Beyonce
    JLo
    Kim K

yeah total waifs right there
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If someone is healthy no matter what they look like they are beautiful. But our society has been gearing everyone to think a size 0 is the way to be. If we all looked the same wouldn't the world be a boring place? I like to think that if I got lost in the mountains, my weight would keep my body going better than if I was 100lbs lighter.....
  • MsQt
    Options
    [/quote]

Nope not starving myself, and obviously you cant read because if you did you would see that all these womens messurements are pretty much the same. Compare those women with proffesional photos for both sets and how funny they look pretty much the same body wise. It is not ok to body shame it does not matter if the women are thick or thing. glad to see you embrace your ignorance and hypocrisy.
    [/quote]

Really? :laugh: :laugh: Ok, am I confused again because it sounds to me like you're saying that I am what's referred to as Hypocrisy. First of all I am by no means skinny or thin, or have a rib show on my body. Not that I have to prove anything to you; I am 5 ft tall and 119 lbs; so You can take that and shove it! :laugh: :laugh: Some people have such sensitive personalities and then they get offended when people come on here and tell their opinion of something. YOU CAN GET OF THAT SOAP BOX THAT YOU'RE ON BOO!:laugh: :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Nope not starving myself, and obviously you cant read because if you did you would see that all these womens messurements are pretty much the same. Compare those women with proffesional photos for both sets and how funny they look pretty much the same body wise. It is not ok to body shame it does not matter if the women are thick or thing. glad to see you embrace your ignorance and hypocrisy.
    [/quote]

Really? :laugh: :laugh: Ok, am I confused again because it sounds to me like you're saying that I am what's referred to as Hypocrisy. First of all I am by no means skinny or thin, or have a rib show on my body. Not that I have to prove anything to you; I am 5 ft tall and 119 lbs; so You can take that and shove it! :laugh: :laugh: Some people have such sensitive personalities and then they get offended when people come on here and tell their opinion of something. YOU CAN GET OF THAT SOAP BOX THAT YOU'RE ON BOO!:laugh: :laugh:
    [/quote]

Im not on a soap box nor offended this comment shows what a hypocite you are for one you told me i had something shoved up my something you made it personal not me. for another my picture i posted proves that these woman look the SAME when you use proffesional photos to compare them. Both pictures I posted of Bettie Page and Marilyn show ribs sticking out all over the place. and the picture i posted shows they dont look to much diffrent now do they?

and honey you would have to try very very hard to offend me but bless your heart
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    My guess is about the same time it became ok to accept cotton balls soaked in orange juice as nutrition. :(
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Marilyn-Monroe-7-2.jpg

Funny I dont see to much of a diffrence between them now

Nice!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I would like to know on what planet has the media portrayed Heidi Montag or Nicole Richie as sex symbols?
This discussion has been closed.