Totally hateful comments by extended family members...

Options

Replies

• NavyIT85
    NavyIT85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lol... I am in the Navy and i have seen people FAR older and WAAAAAY over weight, drop 30-40 lbs. Age does indeed slow your metabolism... BUT... I have lost a lot more weight now (mid 20's) than I did in highschool... and I don't feel like I am trying as hard now
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i know exactly how u feel! my mother in law is the size of a mini and she is constantly on at me about my weight AND to top it all off when i tell her how much weight i've lost all she says is "oh right" as if i'm lying!! i have now learnt to not talk to her at all about my weight loss efforts as i come away from the conversation feeling deflated and angry! What matters is that u believe in yourself and what u can acheive! just think, he may b slightly smaller than u but he hasn't birthed children and gone through PMS!!! screw him!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Id have leaned over and whispered in his ear....
    "You ever talk to me like that again, and I'm gonna knock your d*ck in the dirt"

Then smiled as i walked away enjoying the expression on his face
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honey, ignore that idiot. Some people are just douches. I'm 41, BTW. Check out my ticker. You just gotta keep making small decisions over and over and over again. Persistence will get you there!
  • Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have learned long ago that my family is NOT a good network of support in my life for anything.

That ship sailed, and when I finally shrugged off the shackles of family once and for all, it was liberating.

amen!! i just realized this a few months ago..im done with my family
  • George1567
    Options
    No worries.........the stage is set. You need to take your journey for you, and your kids. But when things get tough you have something to fuel from. The day when he sees that you have done it and he is still short and round you will get yours and still not have to say a word.

We take the journey to better health because we want to, but when people ask why thats easy.......becaues I can, even when people said I couldn't.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you didnt say any thing to him. You will do it and it will be no problem. Even if you were that old and that overweight you would still do it because you have already made up your mind. Don't look back dear you are already on your way!!

I am so proud of you.............You just go go go!~

And teach your children that this is a perfect example how NOT to be.

Blow it off.:flowerforyou:
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I would seriously bring that up with my mother and not want him around anymore. Because all I could think of is he'd say that to me, what about my children, especially when they got older?

What a *kitten*.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You walked away with your dignity intact. Well done.

This :smile:
  • KLynnBear
    KLynnBear Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. I'll lose this weight and not allow myself to be blindsided by rudeness again.

K
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I am 30 and Have lost 60lbs in a yr and a half ...Just turn that frustration into motivation that's what I have done. Make him eat his words success is the best revenge!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty obvious by this site's success section alone that your age isn't going to keep you down. This guy can go to town on himself for all he's worth; you don't need his opinion, and you be sure to wear that snotty smile when you waltz back over weighing less than he imagined you could. :D
  • knelson422
    Options
    My dad one time took me to the Y (when I was 30) where I did a totally kick but 3 mile run. Afterward he gave me 30 pounds in weights and told me to hold them. Then he told me that was the extra weight I was carrying around and that I needed to lose it. Wow, I was humiliated. I didn't know what to say and was shocked. I have never forgotten it. It hasn't inspired me to lose weight (I think I could have lost 15 more pounds and would have called it good, 30 would have put me way skinny - which would be nice if I wanted to be a size 0). It is humiliating when family members butt in, and especially when they are so insensitive. Just prove him wrong. Ask him to go for a run or something, I bet you will smoke him. Don't give up!!! You can do it!!!
  • branflake5
    Options
    You are a better person than I am I would have sent the kids to the car or to another room and told him off!! That is so rude and he deserves to be put in his place. Was you mom there for this? If so did she say anything to him? And if she was not there or didn't say anything I would suggest letting her know what happened.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have learned long ago that my family is NOT a good network of support in my life for anything.

That ship sailed, and when I finally shrugged off the shackles of family once and for all, it was liberating.

amen!! i just realized this a few months ago..im done with my family
    We moved half way across the nation, and we visit every other year - PERFECT!

And believe me, nature abhors a vacuum. Once the toxic people were OUT OF OUR LIVES....

...we met new people, positive people that are a great support for us in every way.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Mean people suck!!! I feel your pain! I have completely hateful in-laws. I avoid conflict with them by avoiding them. I also get a little joy by knowing I'll be the one picking out their nursing home :blushing:

Ooooo! Well played!!
  • elisabej
    elisabej Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing and behaved in a way that was a great example to your children. Your mother's husband is a PIG and you do deserve an apology from both him and your mother because she should have put a stop to his behavior as well. Its a very hard thing to stand up to your family (I'm learning this one myself), but it is ok to do so and you are in the right.
    And lets face it, you will lose the weight, you will look fantastic, you will have your wonderful husband and kids, and he will still have that lousy personality. At which point it is perfectly acceptable for you to cut him out of your life and your kids lives since he does not display behavior that you want around your kids.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I think you handled it just fine. He behaved like a 10 year old bully, you behaved like an adult.
    I would like to add, though, that if he EVER talks that way to one of your children, you tell him off in no uncertain terms no matter who is around, then walk away. It's as important that your children know you have their backs as it is for them to see you not be bated into an argument.
  • KFontaine679
    KFontaine679 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You walked away with your dignity intact. Well done.

^^THIS!^^
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    My step dad does this too. He has actually said I am as huge as a house. He's said, "Man you need to lose that weight you are twice my size."

Who are YOU to tell me how much I should weigh? I have a step sister from his side and he doesn't even claim us half the time. He says his son in law is his only child. If that's the case, lay off the comments about my body. The more people insult me the more I eat!