Spinach the truth. OMG

Options

Replies

• jhyan
    jhyan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It supplies the same amount of protein as you would get from the same quantity of meat¾a cheaper and healthier alternative to getting protein.

This is completely FALSE!! 1 cup of spinach has a measly 1 g of protein, where on earth this stat come rom?????
    You are right. It is pound for pound. .

BS. 100g of spinach has 2.86g of protein. 100g of chicken breast has 30.86g of protein. So chicken breast has 10 times the amount... pound for pound (or gram for gram).

EDIT: Don't get me wrong... I love spinach, and feel it is indeed healthy. Healthy enough that we don't need to perpetuate incorrect information to make it seem even healthier. On another note, alkalinity and pH in the diet is shaky science at best... still doesn't mean I don' think spinach is fantastic.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It also enhances forearm development.

popeye.jpg
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat it daily :-D YAY Spinach!
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It also enhances forearm development.

popeye.jpg

LMAO
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladybug2000
    ladybug2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great post! Also a great reminder about the benefits of spinach. Thank you for posting Ü
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Spinach is my favourite veggie, I actually had it 3 times today, and it's so versatile - creamed spinach (my comfort food) or you can add it to any smoothie you make and won't taste it. Didn't know about the calcium thing, I'm going to start taking calcium supplements since I don't take in much dairy.

The only thing I hate about it is it can make my teeth feel like rusted metal :/
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    go me! I had a delicious spinach salad for dinner :)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It supplies the same amount of protein as you would get from the same quantity of meat¾a cheaper and healthier alternative to getting protein.

This is completely FALSE!! 1 cup of spinach has a measly 1 g of protein, where on earth this stat come rom?????

I was think ing the same thing but then thought maybe by weight and not by volume(?) a cup (8 fluid ounces) of spinach ways nothing but I can't see myself eating 8 (weight) ounces of it !
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome, BUT...

1. There is little (no?) scientific evidence that spinach helps regulaate your body's pH. Blood pH is regulated by a bicarbonate system and is controlled by respiration and CO2 concentration, not by diet. The pH of the rest of your body is usually in equilibrium with your blood.

2. As others have pointed out, your claims about protein are exaggeration.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    ok -) - ifficial nutritional guidelinse have spionach at 7 cals per cup/ 30 gm and 1 gm of protein (thus 49% of the calories come from protein) the spinach website says 49 cals per cup- but it does not provide weight of spinach in that cup so I presume 210 gms - even then still less protein than meat but an impressive percentage of protein over all for a green leafy -

at any rate, I love it in my lasagne
  • spottedlee
    Options
    no wonder Popeye was so strong and healthy every time he ate his spinach!!
    My thinking too!
    Popeye_765.jpg
  • Uhmanduh
    Uhmanduh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    time to start eating some more spinach i think!!! New goal for tomorrow!!!
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Another benefit....

Leaving spinach in your teeth on purpose :sick: , is a surefire way to put a quick end to a cruddy date.

:wink: You're welcome
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always sub ordinary salad leaves for spinach, it has so much more flavour!! Love raw spinach! Yay for spinach!
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    Mmmm... time for some eggs florentine!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Spinach is awesome, BUT...

1. There is little (no?) scientific evidence that spinach helps regulaate your body's pH. Blood pH is regulated by a bicarbonate system and is controlled by respiration and CO2 concentration, not by diet. The pH of the rest of your body is usually in equilibrium with your blood.

2. As others have pointed out, your claims about protein are exaggeration.

I have to take exception to the statement that alkaline foods do not assist with pH issues. Doctor's often advise those suffering from pH issues to comsume more alkaline foods, pleae quote your source for that info out of curiousity, mayo clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc?

2 protein is tougher, best reason to comsume spinach is for all the other reasons, lol, I don't comsume it for the protein.

For the poster who complained it has Nitrites, not in the spinach but your body can convert it into Nitrite, however the advantages for those working out can be found in the following paper.

Dietary inorganic nitrate improves mitochondrial efficiency in humans, Filip J Larsen, Tomas A Schiffer, Sara Borniquel, Cell Metabolism, 2 February 2011
  • big_drake
    Options
    I started putting raw spinach on my sandwiches instead of lettuce a while ago. If it's good enough for Popeye it's good enough for me.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I have to take exception to the statement that alkaline foods do not assist with pH issues. Doctor's often advise those suffering from pH issues to comsume more alkaline foods, pleae quote your source for that info out of curiousity, mayo clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc?

My source was common sense understanding on how the body regulates blood pH. The information I shared is basic human physiology. Blood pH is regulated by respiration. The gut is actually a separate compartment as far as your body is concerned. Spinach might effect the pH of the gut to some extent (though I find that hard to believe since your stomach acid is so strong), but I don't think it's going to have any effect on blood. The primary buffer system in blood is bicarb.

I suppose I could be wrong. I'll look into it.

As an amusing aside, I once "killed" a "patient" in a computer simulation. The "patient" was in diabetic acidosis. I put bicarb in her IV drip. Opps. It's a good thing it was just a simulation and that I'm not an MD. :blushing:

Which reminds me... I should probably say that I mean I don't think spinach has a DIRECT effect on blood pH. Certainly, spinach is a healthy food item and can eaten as part of a healthy diet to control diabetes and avoid complications like acidosis.