Men cooking....

Options

Replies

• Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I love to cook. I'm learning, so I suck pretty badly, but I enjoy it.

It's just like any other hobby a male picks up. He just wants to be good at it (the best if possible).
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you really want a good argument, look at the statistics. History tells us that women are mostly the ones who cook in the home, but the culinary world is ruled by male chefs. It is extremely hard for women to breakout in the culinary community because it is 75% men. I dont think there is anything feminine about it honestly I mean look at Wolfgang Puck, Emeril, Bobby Flay etc.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husbandd's amazing cooking skills are one of his best attributes. He loves to create new recipes, he's amazing at grilling/BBQ, and I am one HAPPY wife that he is so willing to take the lead inthe kitchen.

Cooking isn't "feminine." Everyone eats, and being able to prepare awesome food is a desirable skill!
  • gerritnking
    Options
    I love to cook....
    I am learning how to cook healthier. Its a fun and interesting to try to make healthy versions of my favorite foods.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Clearly your husband has some "macho" issues going on there. Cooking is actually awesome, many many great chefs are men and has nothing with gender, sexual orientation, or anything like that. I love to cook and any woman can appreciate a man who cooks for her.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I just found this online:

https://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_080325a.html

Shows increasing numbers of guys cooking. :)
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I grew up in my Italian Grandmother's kitchen. We all had to learn to cook. She said "I am not going to inflict you on some woman someday if you can't manage the basics." I do all of our cooking. And this occurred in rural Maine (northern hillbilly country)/
    As others have pointed out- most of the top chefs in the world are male.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know you're on my friends list so don't take this personally but your husband is being an idiot and I don't know a better way to phrase that.

Please, encourage your son to pursue this.

Ask your husband if Robert Irvine is feminine and be sure to show him pics.

Lol... no offense taken! :wink:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    listen, some guys can hit a home run, others can build a house with their barehands. i cook. and i've never heard anyone complain about it. the high light of my day is cooking. and i learned from my father. i love grocery shopping. nothing like getting the ingrediants, and then watching them become a culinary feast.

and cooking just relaxes me. i don't play music or watch tv. i concentrate on chopping, slicing, measuring things, getting all the equipment ready. love it. and nothing like having all the items in front of you, and then watch it turn into a meal.

if your 14 year old has a gift for cooking, encourage it. maybe it becomes a career, maybe its just a hobby, but to have your husband says it is feminine is just horrible. your husband must cook. he doesn't bbq at all?? is that feminine? or no, thats MANLY because its outside??
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just watch Food Network. Plenty of male chefs. Iron Chef is all men with only Kat Cora being the lone female iron chef. Rarely are then even females competing against them.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    My mom (an EXCELLENT cook) taught me how to cook from an early age. My mom and step father used to work nights and go to school during the day so I would have a full course meal prepared for them when they would get up to go to work.
    My mom taught me that everything must come out hot and together. You have to know when to start the grill if you are making baked potatoes for instance. Nothing should be cold and you have to properly prepare the meat.

I can cook a number of things. I make some really good salsa from scratch :smile:

I am cooking a lot leaner now!
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cooking is probably one of the most gender-neutral things around - it's only considered feminine because of it's association with domesticity and the traditional role of a woman being a housewife.

That being said, I think everyone should know how to cook, and maybe it should be taught in schools. If we grow up with the ability to cook our food for ourselves, that can result in a nutritious, healthy diet.
  • ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Let me guess... Your husband would also like to see him GRILL instead of COOK huh???
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a 5 year old son and two of the things I always tell him are that girls like boys who dance and that his wife will appreciate him someday if he knows how to cook.
  • haleysman
    Options
    nothing feminine about it, he wants to be a chef not suzy home maker...even suzy homemaker is quite an ignorant stereotype, nowadays with more women dominating the "professional" workforce many men are stuck with the stay at home dad role...speaking from experience, being a trained chef really helps when being a stay at home dad, from a healthy menu development to budgeting to cooking...my wife and kids sure do not complain and actually my wife is the envy of all her friends...don't take this the wrong way but your hubs needs to remove his head from his rump and the 50s and get with the times...jc what school is your son attending culinary classes at?
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I probably cook more than my wife does.
    Admittedly, I cook most of the meat on the grill and used canned veggies to go with it; but I do the salad from scratch (except for the dressings).
    My son is an outdoorsman. When he invites us to eat, he does the whole meal, usually with something he's harvested from a hunting or fishing trip. He cooks the fish (that he cleaned himself) outside so it won't give the house that fishy smell. He makes his own gravy. When he's on one of his safaris, he does all the cooking at the campsite.
    He loves it, and he's good at it.
    I see nothing unmanly about it.
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just watched a show called "Guy Code" and on this show they explain the many benefits for men who know how to cook for thier woman. i will let your imagination run with that.

i wish i knew how to cook more then i do now!
  • raines_eric
    Options
    I love to cook, and am really good at it... or at least I'm told (and I think so as well). Learning to cook healthier has been a fun mission!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    All of the top chefs in the world are men.

+1 on this. All the major dinners at our house are done by me. There is nothing feminine about this at all.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Men cooking? I vote YES!
    In fact, that kind of makes him a chick magnet - oops :embarassed: - I mean when he's older. (Ignore the cougar sounds.) :laugh: