Healthier Salad dressing?

Options
I have no clue where I should be posting this but what are some yummy salad dressings that are low cal? I love ranch but its very high calorie. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Make your own! You have much more control over both fat and sodium. You also get to skip all the preservatives and artificial ingredients. And... it tastes better/fresher!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Has chemicals, but I like zero calorie bacon ranch dressing. I think it is delicious!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Upearly...do you have any tried and true recipes? :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Try experimenting. I've found that I am not the big ranch brat I thought I was for so many years. I have been eating so many other good dressings! Wishbone's superfruit berry light vinaigrette, Ken's light oil & vinegar dressing, Ken's light Vidalia dressing, Fit & Active (Aldi's) balsamic vinaigrette, fat free Catalina, and so many more! I used to think I didn't like anything but ranch. :)
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think if you use the powder ranch packet you can control the fat in it, but using low cal mayo and fat free milk.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    I use the salad spritzers in Italian or Balsamic Vinegarette. One calorie per spray.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    juice of a lemon, salt / pepper, and olive oil :D
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I really really like wishbone salad spritzers.
    The ranch one is only 15cals for 10 pumps.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ranch is worth every last calorie!!!

but!! Maple Grove Farms of Vermont has a wonderful line of all natural, low cal dressings. I am in love with their all natural chemical free Asiago and Garlic Dressing and at 40 calories for 2 tablespoons I can afford to drench my salad with its yummy goodness.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thin out non-fat plain greek yogurt with the juice of a lemon or orange and add a squirt of honey or agave.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinaigrette, white wine vinaigrette, white wine vinaigrette with dijon mustard...

Olive oil has calories and fat yes, but it's good for you! Avoid the creamy dressings and try to make it yourself rather than buying a bottle at the store - much lower in sodium!

I'll do half and half vinegar and EVOO, but it depends on your taste. I like my dressing to be kind of acidic. You can whisk in a tsp of dijon mustard as well, it's delicious.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Kraft light red wine vinagerette.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Or, you can try salsa on your salad instead of dressing. That is low calorie and very yummy. A tablespoon or two of hummus is also a good alternative.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Annie's Lite Gingerly or Annie's Lite Goddess and so on... BEST ever.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't have low cal suggestions for you off the top of my head, but, instead of putting your dressing ON your salad, put it on the side, and just dip your fork in before you pick up the lettuce, you use a lot less and still get the yummy taste!
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Ken's light options honey mustard is good. not sure of other flavors.
  • bonnie37204
    Options
    I tried the wishbone ranch spritzer and it is not to bad. I also started using a catalina light and I am really starting to like it. I was and still a ranch dressing lover but I am just trying to branch out and try new things. Also go to Allrecipes.com and look and see if you can find some dressings that might not be to hard to make
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Those are all really good Ideas. I will have to try some of those out soon!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My favorite is: raspberry vinaigrette