Is anyone else hula hooping for exercise?

Options
I'm just curious if there are any other hoopers on this site? I've picked up hula hooping about three weeks ago and have lost 3" off my waist already. I'm using a couple different weighted ones, a 2.5lb one and a 4lb one. I'm loving it so far! Anyone else? :smile:

Replies

• tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Not with actual hula hoops, but I have done the hula hoop section on the Wii Fit! LOL
  • abbeymetcalf
    Options
    i do the hula on teh Wii and it makes me sore. i have gotten up to 800+ points total after 20 minutes! lol
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's so sissy that I'd never log it in as such.

It's a great core exercise!
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i don't do hula hooping i do hot hula. check it out on youtube. i've lost an inch off my hips and each of my thighs
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I actually plan on picking one up this weekend and I am so excited! I might look at getting a weighted one too... Which weight do you suggest?
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    Yay another hooper! I hoop dance and I love it! Have to say though that 4 lb sounds awfully heavy for a hoop - does that not give you bruises? I've been hooping for about 6 months on and off and can now hoop around my legs and chest (as well as at waist). It's probably the most fun I've ever had working out. :)
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Not with actual hula hoops, but I have done the hula hoop section on the Wii Fit! LOL

I do it on Wii fit and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012. I wonder how it would work on YSFE12 if I actually used a real hulahoop? It might not work on the wii from where you have to stop and bend to catch the in game hoops.
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I'm sure that still counts :wink: ! I was amazed at how expensive they can be online, I did find my 2.5lb one at Walmart thought for $19 so that wasn't too shabby :)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am working out with a weighted hula hoop. I love it and find it very relaxing. I do at least 30 minutes every day and do Curves 5 days a week. If you haven't already found it Hooping.org has great information and tutorials. Feel free to add me if you want hooping friends.
    Jan
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep! I am a hooper currently practicing hoop dancing :)

http://youtu.be/j46ll2_jR7k

(edit: I also do Zumba, Curves, yoga (and occasionally a traditional gym))
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    Yes, but it's so sissy that I'd never log it in as such.

It's a great core exercise!

Lol! Well since I'm a girl I don't have a problem logging it ;)

I'm hoping to improve my core muscles so I can help with back pain that I have. My doctor said that doing such would alleviate most of it.
  • whodatmama
    whodatmama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop on the wii fit. It's easier than the real thing since I can't keep the real hula hoop going for long! LOL
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I am working out with a weighted hula hoop. I love it and find it very relaxing. I do at least 30 minutes every day and do Curves 5 days a week. If you haven't already found it Hooping.org has great information and tutorials. Feel free to add me if you want hooping friends.
    Jan

Ooh, I haven't been on that site, thanks!
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    I actually plan on picking one up this weekend and I am so excited! I might look at getting a weighted one too... Which weight do you suggest?

My first hoop was 40" 160 psi tubing. When you're starting out you should have one that comes up to your belly button if your standing it on the ground in front of you. Mine isn't weighted it's just tubing and that was still heavy enough to give me bruises when I was starting out.
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I hula hoop on the wii fit. It's easier than the real thing since I can't keep the real hula hoop going for long! LOL

Have you tried using a larger hoop? I can't keep child hoops up too well but my grown-up hoops I can keep up no problem :)
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options

same hahah

I suck at using normal hula hoops but it's fun, I wish I was better at it.

Got any tips OP?
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I love it. I have a 4 lb hoop and it does leave bruises at first. The first couple days are really painful, but you just have to work thru it. I have the smaller ones for your limbs, although I've not tried to do my legs - I'm not that coordinated! I like the fact that I'm working on my core strength - after two kids and bad health habits, I know it's helping get me back to where I need to be.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hoop a little. Not much room in our tiny apartment though, and once I get my pole up it'll be a hoop obstacle course!

I want to start doing aerial hoop (lyra), but that's another ball of wax entirely.
  • KickingDarkness
    Options

Have you tried using a larger hoop? I can't keep child hoops up too well but my grown-up hoops I can keep up no problem :)

Yes I can't keep a child size hoop up at all and I've been hooping for quite awhile - you need an adult size hoop (especially when you're learning). :)
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    Yay another hooper! I hoop dance and I love it! Have to say though that 4 lb sounds awfully heavy for a hoop - does that not give you bruises? I've been hooping for about 6 months on and off and can now hoop around my legs and chest (as well as at waist). It's probably the most fun I've ever had working out. :)

I started out with my 2.5lb hoop for a while before my 4lb one showed up. I did have some soreness and one a pretty good bruise when I started but I'm not having any problems now since my sides are conditioned :)