ideas for high protein , snack welcome

Options

Replies

• Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie with a scoop of protein powder and 8oz Silk fruit n protein. 29g protein and 270 calories. Fills me right up. I usually drink it post workout but will have it for breakfast if Im on the go.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I eat at nearly every meal

egg whites, skinless chicken breast, lean meat, chicken liver, tuna, Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, quinnoa
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Hi I am trying to fill up on foods that keep me full for longer - at the mo I am finding hard boiled eggs and tuna useful - does anyone have any ideas for other high protein snacks / meals - they would be very welcome

thanks

Eat these foods with a large serving of salad & brown rice & it will fill you right up!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I really like having an apple dipped in greek yogurt. Fills me up every time.

Cool I'll try this!!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Protein pudding.

Info and how to make it here:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/high-protein-recipes-and-jack3d-review.html

I am going to try making some for the first time tonight!

Thanks for the link!
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Peanut butter with apple chunks
    Crab sticks
    Nuts
    Veggies and houmous

Do you mean those fake crab sticks made of pollock? I used to love those...until i noticed the sodium content. WOW.

I use protein shakes as my protein snacks mainly. Here's my favorite.

1 scoop iso sensation cafe brazil protein powder.
    1/4 cup all natural peanut butter
    150ml of milk or similar
    1/2 tbsp coco powder
    3/4 of a banana (frozen)

if you don't keep your PB in the fridge then you could probably add an ice cube or 2, otherwise the frozen banana is enough to give the correct texture

I dare anyone to try this and tell me it isn't the best shake they've ever had. I've tried them all.
  • skullkrusher22
    Options
    Besides protein powders and bars, try beans & legumes. If you aren't trying to cut meat eat chicken/turkey and pretty much any fish (Not fried please). Look for products with whole grain wheat and peas & corn have the highest BV of vegetables readily available. Rice is a good source but stick to the brown. Try looking for quinoa in the rice section as well.
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hard boiled egg whites, deli ham with mustard (sodium can be high), peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and fortified protein meal replacements (Medifast shakes, bars, puddings, puffs, etc.) I also like EAS advantage low carb ready to drink shakes.

NikolaiM5- your shake sounds amazing! Yum.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes, hummus and celery or carrot sticks

Almonds, yum! (not salted)

Cottage cheese with bran buds - fibre and protein - keeps me full!
  • hollieshea
    hollieshea Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What do you eat with your hummus?
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches lately is Jamie Easons "Cottage Cheese In A Blanket". Today I topped it with pepper, and sliced tomatoes too.

Cottage Cheese in a Blanket

1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 tbsp. wheat germ
    (whisk together and cook like a pancake on the stove top)

Fill with:
    1/2 cup lactose free cottage cheese (I like Lactaid) and season with salt and pepper (fold over and serve)

198 calories
    2 g fat (healthy fats)
    13 g carbs
    32 g protein
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat nonfat greek yogurt that is high in protein and i add fresh or frozen berries to it ..another one i do is pure protein drink where you can buy different flavors. i like the chocolate ,cookes n cream and the banana flavored ones.. sometimes i just grab a serving of boneless skineless chicken breast out of the fridge and add franks hot sauce to it
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump for that protein shake; it looks delicious!
  • kristih86
    Options
    I like apples dipped in peanut butter dip
    - 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (or serving size)
    -1 tablespoon pure honey
    -sprinkle (about 1 teaspoon) flaked coconut

it's a nice change from just dipping in plain peanut butter & the honey makes it sweet- nice substitution when you're have a craving for sweets

OR
    Yoplait Smoothies (the frozen mix you get at the grocery store) just blend with milk--yum!
  • Heather0925
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (mix with peanut butter--it's really good!)
    Greek yogurt
    Apple slices and peanut butter
    Protein shake
    Protein bar (promax, think thin)
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    bump!!
  • jellycat
    Options
    wow thanks for all these ideas - really appreciated - that shake looks amazing - can anyone tell me how to make a homemade protein shake using berries etc - is any old whey powder ok - I am trying to keep the sugar content down and don't know if flavoured protein shakes have a lot of sugar in the m...... to be honest I need educating about protein shakes ....
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my fav is endive, if you have never tried it it is crunchy and holds up to the hummus