low carb

Options
so i have been going low carb. i do about 20 a day. does anyone else do low carb and can you tell me
1. how many you do a day
2. how effective it is
3. and side effects
4. how many carbs am i suppose to have a day?
5. any good low carb foods besides meet veggies and cheese?

Replies

• twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good.
    Your brain uses carbs for energy, i think its a horrible idea.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    so i have been going low carb. i do about 20 a day. does anyone else do low carb and can you tell me
    1. how many you do a day
    2. how effective it is
    3. and side effects

1.) no more than 120g DOCTOR ordered
    2.) EXTREMELY effective - look at my ticker
    3.) first three days were carbohydrate-related headaches, after that, perfectly fine
    4.) That is only up to you and your doctor/registered dietician to determine - MFP is not a medical-related site that knows about your health care
    5.) Stick with real foods if you want to do it right. You can include fruits form the berry family if you want, they are ultimately low carb if you dont go crazy on them.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    1. Low carb days, I'm at around 50.
    2. Very effective.
    3. I pee a lot and I'm always thirsty.
    4. Technically, you don't have to have any carbs in a day...tho some are recommended.
    5. No. Meat and cheeses are the low carb foods. I typically stick with chicken and broccoli.
  • cacrat
    Options
    Carbs are good.

Haha, Ms. Uninformed.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Carbs are good.

Haha, Ms. Uninformed.
    GMTA!!!!!
  • cramernh
    Options
    allalone - your profile is giving me great concern....

how tall are you?
    how much do you weigh right now?
  • leansandra
    leansandra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. Spaghetti squash is great. I like it topped with organic spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese and crushed oregano. You could add tofu or meat for protein. Or make an thin omelet and thinly slice the egg and mix with it....have not tried but planning to.

2. Plain Greek Yogurt -find one that is high protein,low sugar and low carb: I like to sprinkle Ste-via and ground cinnamon.

Just some ideas to try...
  • MzShutterbug
    Options

how tall are you?

I have to agree with this. If you are already a size 0, I wouldn't think you would need to lose any weight at all.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Twinmama, I beg to differ. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Many carbs are little more than sugar when it enters your body. Many of us are addicted to that sugar whether it is found in white bread or orange juice. It is highly effective to abstain from these high glycymic index carb for a period of time to break the addiction. Veggies are good carbs and help the problem you alluded in a NO Carb diet, but that is not what the poster was talking about. ;-)
  • leansandra
    Options
    I'm slowly losing weight without restricting my carbohydrates. Instead I try to choose complex carbohydrates. I think the goal on MFP are a little high for me however I do not restrict as I do workout 4 days a week. If you are going to restrict I would suggest at least 100g /day. The brain needs carbohydrates for proper function. I personally think 20g/day is not realistic for longterm. I like my carbohydrates..so I choose healthy ones like fruits,quinoa,garbanzo beans,black beans,petite peas,kidney beans and whole grain/wheat products properly portioned out...plenty of vegetables and popcorn too. And most importantly eat protein with your carb. i do not think of this as a diet but as a lifestyle transformation incorporating longterm healthier eating habits. Hope this helpful.
  • leansandra
    Options
    Increased urination is related to your increased protein intake requiring your kidneys to work harder causing you to be more thirsty. To me that does not seem to be a good thing..
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good.

Haha, Ms. Uninformed.

?

The brain uses 25% of the glucose you eat. Glucose is it's main fuel source, and requires glucose to perform effectively. Are you calling medical science wrong?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a few years and was very successful, but I wound up gaining all the weight back because it wasn't something I could stick to in the long run.

It's also a pretty environmentally-unfriendly lifestyle, but maybe that's a discussion for another thread.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options

how tall are you?

This. It sounds like you're aiming for a diet that will put you in the hospital. Most people aren't going to feel comfortable offering advice on those terms. I will, though: Eat some damn food. Being a skeleton won't make you fabulous. It's not empowering. Destroying yourself is never something to aspire toward. Many people start their time here in an unhealthy place. But they are working toward a goal of being HEALTHY. The situation you describe in your profile is the complete opposite. And I'm pretty sure that using this site to assist you with your ED goals is highly frowned upon.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Carbs are good.

Haha, Ms. Uninformed.

?

The brain uses 25% of the glucose you eat. Glucose is it's main fuel source, and requires glucose to perform effectively. Are you calling medical science wrong?

The body can convert fat and protein to glucose just fine without eating carbs. I mean, eat them or don't, but they aren't 100% necessary since the body can make them all by itself. And if you go on a really low carb diet, it adjusts to using ketones for the bulk of its energy needs*, with neoglucogenesis filling in whatever else the ketones don't power.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8263048
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need to stay under 30g net carbs a day to be in a ketogenic state.

Net carbs = Total carbs - total fibre.

If you are aiming to go low carb, you need to get a sufficient intake of dietary fat. No more fat free and low fat stuff. Fat will become the most important macronutrient that your body will require for energy. Make sure you are getting plenty of good fats in from meats, oils and nuts.

2. It can be very effective. You will immediately lose 5lb just from water weight. The essence of a keto diet is that your body will turn to burning dietary fat and body fat as its primary fuel source because it is starved from carbohydrates. This is always a good thing for fat loss.

3. You will have brain fog and lack of energy when you transition into the diet. If you are getting enough fats and protein, you will have more energy than ever before. You will no longer have the crashes of energy that you would experience on a diet consisting of moderate to high carbs.

4. Once again, around 30g net carbs.

5. You can get creative but yeah basically nuts, meat, veggies, cheese. There are lots of recipes out there but I am a guy so my cooking skills are limited. I love this diet though. I wake up and have bacon and eggs with melted cheese and still lose weight. Its fantastic.
  • cacrat
    Options
    Carbs are good.

Haha, Ms. Uninformed.

?

The body can convert fat and protein to glucose just fine without eating carbs. I mean, eat them or don't, but they aren't 100% necessary since the body can make them all by itself. And if you go on a really low carb diet, it adjusts to using ketones for the bulk of its energy needs*, with neoglucogenesis filling in whatever else the ketones don't power.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8263048

And boom goes the dynamite.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Cant wait for Acg67 to say something.........
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    1. how many you do a day
    2. how effective it is
    3. and side effects

I am doing the Leptin Reset Rx so I am having 50 grams or less or carbs. Trying to keep it around 20-25 if I can.

Very effective for stabilizing insulin and blood sugar (even if you have no known issues) and staying full and satiated.

My side effects include having more energy, being able to fall asleep at night (YAY, no more insomnia), no muscle and joint pains and just a more overall feeling of well being.

You will have to experiment and find the level of carbs that works for you. That is what makes Atkins great is that you do 2 weeks at 20 grams and then after that start adding in 5 more grams of carbs per day every week until you stop losing weight. That is your maintenance carb level, then to lose weight you would need to back it down -5 grams of carbs to find the level at which you lose weight. You would have to read the book tor a more detailed explanation or message me and I will explain in greater detail to you.

Eat lots of green leafy veggies. They have the most nutrients, but also add in other veggies of color. The more color, the higher the overall nutrient level in the food.
  • cacrat
    Options
    He'll probably find this at some point and have the same reaction I did, amazement at the people here.

BTW, rsmithy, some people stay in keto up to 100g carbs. There's no set limit across the board.