What about the humanization of animals?

Options

Replies

• Tskitzo
    Tskitzo Posts: 42
    Options
    How do you feel about people who give their pets human names like Max or Pete?
    What about people who dress up their pets in clothes or Halloween costumes?
    Or let them eat table food and sleep in their beds?
    What about the people who treat their pets like children?

What's your opinion?

I. I don't think it should matter what people name their pets.
    II. I've never dressed up my cat in clothes or Halloween Costumes, but sometime it's cute, I don't see the harm in it if the animal doesn't seem to care.
    III. I don't think that animals should eat tons of human food, but I do feed my cat cheese sometimes when I'm eating my cheese-stick. He loves cheese so >3> Also Kiwi sleeps in my bed all the time. either smushed up against me, or at the foot of the bed. I don't see why that's bad.
    IV. Kiwi is my baby, and sometimes I feel like he's my son. Don't see any shame in that.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    And for the name debate we have Kimber, Sweetie, Sophie, Luci, Shadow, and Tippy. Sort of a mix.

Back home I had Max and Nina (dogs) Snook, Randy, Chub, MatCat, Brie, Alice, Yukon, and Charlie (cats) and the sweetest little rat named Lorraine. I loved that rat. One of the best pets you could ever ask for.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My chorkie puppy, Kimmy, who has a human name.
    kimmy3-1.jpg

And looks fkn cute in her halloween costume
    kimmy-2.jpg

And sticks her tongue out at me when I try to take a picture -.-
    kimmy2-1.jpg
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Your pet is supposed to be your best friend and should be treated as such. You wouldn't make your best friend sleep outside in the cold, and your pet shouldn't either.

Dog sweaters are stupid unless you have something like a Chinese crested that needs it because it doesn't have enough fur to keep warm. :)

Here here!

And yet many friends are homeless in America.

I don't live in America, js.
  • denisey94
    denisey94 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My rabbits have human-ish names, (Nina, Pinta and Maria) but I named them after ships, so what about that humanization of ships? And why are all ships girls? Talk about gender stereotyping.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

What's your opinion?
    1. I think it's just fine because a name is just a name. Just coincidentally happens to be used by humans too. I mean we use the name Bubba so... it goes both ways!
    2. This is great for small dogs and special occasions. It does no harm to them and it can give someone a smile. Plus sometimes they are good for keeping dogs warm.
    3. It can actually be healthy if you get the dog some good meat every now and then. I wouldn't over do it on this. Moderation. And sleeping in the bed is very much up to a person. If you are cool with a cat/dog being in your bed then awesome but if not then give the animal their own spot to sleep.
    4. Some people refuse to have human children but want something to take care of so a pet is the next best thing. Why get upset over someone wanting to treat their pets really well? I'd rather the pet be treated like their own child, being very loved and cared for then being abandoned for dead on the street because it's "only an animal".

I mean... I had the cutest experience today. My MiL's cat got up on the table and sat on the remote turning the TV on which turned on to Harry Potter. And it even knows how to fast forward and rewind too! You can't say that isn't cute! :laugh:

YOU'VE GOT TO BE A ZELDA FAN
    How do you know??? Of course! :) Zelda is the best thing since sliced bread.
  • ellen122x
    ellen122x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    love to sleep with my babies. love to give them special treats. love to put their coats on when we walk in the winter. from a quote in my vet's office " THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHILDREN AND PETS ARE 2 LEGS!"
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son (who currently lives with me) and I each have a cat and they both have middles names. My cat is Andre' Thomas and my son's cat is Judy Michelle. :laugh:

Andre' sleeps on the bed with me because he is so needy. He's like my shadow. If I tried to lock him out of the bedroom at night, he would claw the door and cry all night long and I can't have that because I live in an apartment. Judy is pretty much a loner so she sleeps out in the living room or on one of the dining room chairs.

She would eat anything we'd give her if we let her eat human food so unless it a special occasion. like Thanksgiving or Christmas, we don't feed either cat human food.

We don't dress them up in clothes because I don't think they'd appreciate it but we do consider them our children. Or in my case, Andre' is my child and Judy is my grandchild. Andre' is my son's "bubby" and Judy is his child. :bigsmile:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My cat, Princess Penny Picklefeathers is still plotting my death because of her name. Luckily she has no thumbs. Ha-ha, no thumbed creature!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

What's your opinion?
    1. I think it's just fine because a name is just a name. Just coincidentally happens to be used by humans too. I mean we use the name Bubba so... it goes both ways!
    2. This is great for small dogs and special occasions. It does no harm to them and it can give someone a smile. Plus sometimes they are good for keeping dogs warm.
    3. It can actually be healthy if you get the dog some good meat every now and then. I wouldn't over do it on this. Moderation. And sleeping in the bed is very much up to a person. If you are cool with a cat/dog being in your bed then awesome but if not then give the animal their own spot to sleep.
    4. Some people refuse to have human children but want something to take care of so a pet is the next best thing. Why get upset over someone wanting to treat their pets really well? I'd rather the pet be treated like their own child, being very loved and cared for then being abandoned for dead on the street because it's "only an animal".

I mean... I had the cutest experience today. My MiL's cat got up on the table and sat on the remote turning the TV on which turned on to Harry Potter. And it even knows how to fast forward and rewind too! You can't say that isn't cute! :laugh:

YOU'VE GOT TO BE A ZELDA FAN
    How do you know??? Of course! :) Zelda is the best thing since sliced bread.

YES!! im not the only one!! but to find 2 zelda fans on one thread! hahah
    and all i wanted to talk about here was my cute lil sugar glider...
    which i have yet to find a small enough sweater for

His name is dodge (short for dodgem) ... maybe a barbie sweater would look good, if he stays still long enough and doesnt scratch the chit outta me

DSC01021.jpg
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    glider3.jpg
  • TheNakedHouseWife
    Options
    I have animals.
    One is cat; named Ninja. He's a tuxedo cat.
    Max is an orange cat (I was 9 when I got him, I thought Max was the stupidest name in the world. It still sort of is, but that's what 9 year old me wanted).

My Dog's name is JoJo. She was named after the Pizza shop in town with the same name.

None of them eat people food. They're animals. They eat animal food. And when the cats run out of cat food, they eat dog food. But the dog never eats cat food.

Dressing animals up is silly. Everyone loves to go naked, I know I would! So why would I make my animal wear clothes?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Our cat sleeps on our bed. But that's because he's pretty much awesome. I wouldn't dare offer him a sweater, though. I'd be afraid he might be offended. He's already dealing with some body-image issues since my daughter calls him "Fatty" all the time.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    My chorkie puppy, Kimmy, who has a human name.
    kimmy3-1.jpg

And looks fkn cute in her halloween costume
    kimmy-2.jpg

And sticks her tongue out at me when I try to take a picture -.-
    kimmy2-1.jpg
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    So cute!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    love to sleep with my babies. love to give them special treats. love to put their coats on when we walk in the winter. from a quote in my vet's office " THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHILDREN AND PETS ARE 2 LEGS!"
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    That's a very true quote! My friend whose cat died was so upset she cried for days. I had to go and buy her a "Sorry for your loss" card.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have three cats... I don't dress them up, because they would hate it. Seriously if I even put a collar on them they will twist and turn trying to get it off until you take it off them. (before anyone says anything they have never been outside without being in a harness or carrier in their lives and they are all micro-chipped)

However they can sleep on my bed or they can sleep on the warm spot of floor in the kitchen, the couch, the cat tower, their carrier, or on top of the box of movies in the living room (I think that covers all of their favorite places) usually at night they pick the bed if they want to snuggle or the couch if they don't/we are being restless and kicking them in our sleep.

They don't have human names, they have Disney names. My oldest was named Mickey when we got him and we like disney so when we got the little ones we changed theirs to Minnie and Daisy
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cats and 3 dogs and I love them more than I love most humans. Unconditional love, both ways.

That's funny because I feel the same way. I feel sorry for the children in Africa commercials but I feel worse for the dogs missing eyes and legs because of abuse commercials. Like 10 X worse!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options

AGREE!!