Help with eating in "moderation"

Options
Okay.. so I know the whole a calorie is a calorie debate, and I agree that as long as you are under your daily caloric allowance you will still lose, but I personally have SUCH a hard time with the whole moderation thing. For example, it's extremely hard for me to have 1 reese cup and then be done. Or, it's very hard for me to have one serving of Cheetos and not want to eat more. A lot of times eating these foods sends me into binge mode.

I know many people would say I go into binge mode because I constantly restrict these foods, but I have tried to give myself total freedom before and I'll usually do okay for a day or two and then it will turn into another binge. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers, tips, or advice on how to overcome this whole ordeal. Thanks

Replies

• Alex_on_the_Rocks
    Options
    I dish out my one serving and put the rest in an inconvenient, hard to reach place. Usually my laziness will overcome my desire for more! lol

Another trick is to brush your teeth and drink a glass of water when you're done. It gets that lingering taste out of your mouth.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    most people here will tell you that if you deny yourself these junk food treats then you are "depriving yourself" and that everything is ok in moderation. Well...for some of us...that just dont work. There is no rule that says you are depriving yourself if you dont eat some junk now and then. If it dont work for you...then dont do it.. The depriving yourself argument is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Think of eating healthy foods as a reward to your body .

You can only deprive yourself if you think that way.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you can't find a way to eat things in moderation then I would suggest avoiding those foods at least for the time being.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The kinds of food you mention cause me to want more when I eat them. Instead of reese cup have 1 oz of dark chocolate and dip it into 1 tbs of sodium free natural peanut butter and instead of Cheetos, have some low fat popcorn.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will portion my treats into small bags and throw away the big bag (for cheetos and chips especially). Once I'm finished my bag, that's it. There's no getting "a few more" from the big bag.

Honestly, though, I can't even touch a cheeto. I literally can't stop eating them. I know my limits by now. I just don't buy them. :laugh:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to eat slowly and make sure I consciously try and enjoy what I am eating. It is the first couple of bites that are the most enjoyable. If you can't do that, then like the suggestions above, maybe try and avoid them all together for the time being.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Moderation does not work for everyone. Like ^^ said, if you can't eat them in moderation then def avoid them and maybe later on when you have established a good solid base of eating healthiER... you can try to have some of those treats again in moderation. What works for one person may not work for the next, so just because other people can eat those things in moderation doesn't mean everyone can. For the longest time, I couldn't.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it, then you can't do it.. that simple.

Everyone slips up every now and then, but it's how you deal with it that matters. If you do good for two days then count those two days as a success and try to make for four days next time... and after that 6 days.. and so on down the line. Eventually I think you will start to see more success days then binge days.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Only pick out fun-size versions (1 cup per pack) and only eat them as dessert, not as a snack. Portion out your meals in advance so you know how many calories it is and make an allowance for it (maybe a tbsp less of Mayonaisse and one slice of bread in a sandwich instead of 2).

I do a fun-size kit-kat for dessert a lot. I've lost 22 in 40 days. The first 3 weeks I lost 15 pounds on an "eat what you want" diet. I love to substitute fresh pineapple or a fuji apple instead of chocolate treats, and I love white cheddar rice treats by Kroger (or Quaker oats if you don't have Kroger). If you are a member of Costco, you can get a 2lb. tub of strawberries or 18oz of bluberries for $5, a Pineapple for $3, and I've learned to love fruit and Fruit smoothies with Fruit and yogurt.
  • ThinMissEmma
    Options
    Thanks all! I feel like it's just a matter of not taking that first bite, for now ;)
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! If I have one Rice Krispie Treat, I feel the urge to eat the entire pan. So, for that particular food, I never purchase it or make it--it is too hard for me to resist.

For other foods, like Cheetos, I'll find a substitution for them, like popcorn (as dls06 suggested) or Pirates Booty (yum!). That way, I satisfy my desire for something crunchy without having a massive calorie binge.

For foods like Reeses Peanutbutter cups, i won't keep them in the house; however, if I'm craving them, I'll go out & buy one serving & eat it. If I'm willing to go through that much effort, then I'll indulge myself. Usually, however, I make due with whatever is in my pantry.

Good luck!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have no self-control, either. So I just don't buy them. I can ruin a perfectly good day by thinking "I'll just have a few." For some reason, those first few bites unleah an inner demon that just can't stop :). For me, it's much easier to avoid taking that first bite in the first place then trying to stop.
    That being said, there are some things I just eat and enjoy and the heck with it. But a cheeto, to me, isn't worth it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I agree some of us are better off not having those certain foods in moderation, It is an argument that to me makes little sense (this is just my opinion so don't flame me because you choose to eat candy, etc in moderation ) I view those foods as exactly what got me into the mess I was in at 560 lbs. and unable to support my own weight and fueled the fire to cause me to contract full blown type 2 diabetes. So when I made my lifestyle change and got rid of all those foods, it wasn't a case of depriving myself of junk food it was retraining my brain to realize food is nothing more than nutrients to keep my body functioning at it best. The whole I have to eat reese's cups or doritoes or cheetos in moderation thing went right out the window with me once I finally learned the relationship between me and food. And the biggest thing with me is now I don't even crave those things anymore, I prefer going to the fridge in a few for a pre-lunch snack and grabbing and orange or a apple or a something along those lines. So from my experience what works for me is a complete detachment from those foods that caused my obesity.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want this enough, you will make the sacrifice and control your eating. Remember at all times that 3500 calories is 1lb of fat. If you think you're about to enter binge mode, go to google images and look for 5lbs of fat. Still look as tempting in that form?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you can't find a way to eat things in moderation then I would suggest avoiding those foods at least for the time being.

This. The behavioral part of weight loss is pretty individual-- you have to figure out what your willpower is and how much you can handle.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    I used to have this same problem, but then I started eating more clean, whole, natural, unprocessed foods. Now I don't think junk food tastes good anymore, and it doesn't satisfy me at all.
  • Argharna15
    Argharna15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will portion my treats into small bags and throw away the big bag (for cheetos and chips especially). Once I'm finished my bag, that's it. There's no getting "a few more" from the big bag.

I do this same thing. that way I know how much I have and will eat slowly to saver every bit.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You need to do whatever it is you need in order to make this as easy as possible. For a lot of people the thought of never having something that we enjoy is demotivating and maybe even enough to send us into a binge so we say things like "everything in moderation" to reinforce that we're in control and not deprived. That doesn't mean junk or trigger foods need to be a part of your diet! If it's easier not to eat something than to control the portion set yourself up to succeed by taking the easier option.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Okay.. so I know the whole a calorie is a calorie debate, and I agree that as long as you are under your daily caloric allowance you will still lose, but I personally have SUCH a hard time with the whole moderation thing. For example, it's extremely hard for me to have 1 reese cup and then be done. Or, it's very hard for me to have one serving of Cheetos and not want to eat more. A lot of times eating these foods sends me into binge mode.

I know many people would say I go into binge mode because I constantly restrict these foods, but I have tried to give myself total freedom before and I'll usually do okay for a day or two and then it will turn into another binge. So, I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers, tips, or advice on how to overcome this whole ordeal. Thanks
    You need to ask yourself just how important your fitness goals really are.

To see this through, look deep inside and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be fit?
    And attach great pleasure to that as you set this goal.

And then answer for yourself this:
    Why don't I want to be fat?
    Attach great pain to all the reasons you do not want to be fat.

Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail.
    This is the key to internal motivation.
    Learn this and you'll seldom face these issues.
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I never eat "junk" when I'm hungry. If I start craving ice cream of chocolate or something, I eat something high protein/high fiber first and down a glass or two of water. After that I'll indulge... but I can't binge nearly as much if I'm already full.