HRM Cals Burned - Fitness experts advice please!

Options

Replies

• pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I just take my total calories burned from the HRM usually it is around 700 for a hard workout and i enter that into here and it bumps my from eating 1200 to 1900 calories. It's very simple don't worry about calculating your bmr and dividing anything. It is a great tool especially if you have 1 with a chest strap it has worked very well for me :) good luck!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    In classes you are at the mercy of the instructor, I don't do machines, that's the main reason I am asking this. If I paused every time I wasn't jumping around, I'd have repetitive strain injury in my finger from button pressing....it might burn an extra cal or two though :laugh:

You do realize that you're way over complicating this? In the grand scheme of things your little tactic will make absolutely no difference. It's pretty much on the verge of being OCD.:laugh:

It was meant to suggest that.....less obvious irony is clearly wasted....
  • kirstiey
    Options
    Bully in life bully on the forum, only the method has changed I see...Thanks for SOME of the comments

What????

Since when is telling it like it is being a bully. Not telling you exactly what you want to here isn't bullying. We're trying to help you out, not bullying you.

Yes but only two of you are doing it in a ****ty way! Everyone else is managing to get the same point across without making me feel like a **** head. But cheers for that. Have a great day.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    Thanks, I will chill out about the whole thing. It was just that I had plateaued and was worried I have mis-understood the cals burned thing and was over eating my calories.

Well some of the comments about me being a fool have certainly got my heart rate up, but don't worry I won't be logging that :wink:
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM but wonder sometimes if it is counting my calories right b/c when I put it on it always has my HR around 100-115 which is crazy as that is BEFORE I even workout. When ever I go to the doctor my RHR is always in the 75-82 range so I am wondering if it is counting me as burning TOO MANY calories since it has my HR pretty high to start off with???
  • December child can you read the Orig post. You are out of context.

That is exactly what I am saying, which is why I ONLY want to log the amount of cals burned on the target Zone, not the general ones the HRM is logging whilst my heart is beating generally in warm up and cool downs.

Thanks again for all comments but please respond to the question, not the comments after it. :flowerforyou:

Take it from me, you are making it more complicated for yourself then it really is, I have a heart rate monitor that tells you even more than just cals burned and effort, very fancy and all but no need for any of that. Do you know your VO2 max? Your heartrate at vt1 and vt2?

My point is that its just an adjustment of calories every other week until you start seeing minor losses...while keeping all the other variables the same. You can still try to calculate if you really think thats necessary, there isn't one heart rate monitor thats gonna give you the best calculation. Instead id repartition my time towards a better macro ratio and training protocol that goes hand in hand with the macro ratio.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You are way over thinking things. Just record what your trusty hrm says and be good with that. If you have hit a plateau than stop and reevaluate your goals and eating habits. Up the food intake maybe or change your workout routine for two weeks and see what shakes your body up.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You are way over thinking things. You go to the gym, you get on the elliptical, and hit the start button on your HRM and begin your workout an hour later (or whatever) and when your finished you hit the stop button on your HRM and when you get home you log your exercise calories into your MFP diary and it will add those calories into your caloric intake. (Which I eat every bit of my exercise calories back because your deficit to lose 1/2, 1, 2 lbs. is already built into your MFP loss projections for the week...) It really isn't any harder than that... Unless I am totally missing something......... ???

You are constantly burning calories while you are exercising only difference is what target HR zone you are working out in, but your calories burned are just that calories burned. The only difference is if you are burning more calories from fat stores in a lower zone (say zone 1 which is 40-50% of your max HR) or burning pure carbohydrates in an anaerobic zone ( say zone 4 which is exercising at 80-90% of your max HR)

Best answer
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wow not quite sure why you jump all over people who are trying to help you! I saw nothing "bullying" of the sort. Ive been using a HRM since August of last year. I start it right when my warm up begins and stop it after my cool down. Ive lost 41lb so far doing so. That is what most everyone I know who has a HRM does as well. I just don't see the point in being rude when people were trying to answer your question, regardless if they answered it to your approval or not.
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think i see where the OP is coming from.

Lets say i go to the gym for 2 hours (this is only an example) and i burn 500 calories in that 2 hours according to my HRM.

Well i would have probably burnt 100 - 150 just standing there doing nothing. Therefore i really only burnt an extra 350 - 400 calories from the extra exercise, therefore you should only log the 350ish not the 500 otherwise you are eating 150 too many calories.

Perhaps for the OP that amount bothers her or is making the difference. perhaps just eat half or three quarters of what your HRM says, at least that would give you a safety net if you feel you need one.

I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you are eating close or over the targets you have set. To me in the grand scheme an extra 150 a day is nothing as i have my targets set quite low and have a decent deficit without the exercise calories, but i can guess to others that 150 might mean the difference to them losing weight. I always log everything my HRM says and then sometimes i eat them all, sometimes none, but normally at least half, really depends on what i have done or am planning to do on that day.

After a few weeks you will work out what is best for you.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You are way over thinking things. Just record what your trusty hrm says and be good with that. If you have hit a plateau than stop and reevaluate your goals and eating habits. Up the food intake maybe or change your workout routine for two weeks and see what shakes your body up.

This is some good advice, weightloss is probably 75% diet, maybe even more. And it is important to change up your workout routine. Once your body becomes accustomed to that workout, you may see less results. I reevaluate about every month or two. But, everyone is different so listen to your body, experiment a little.

My comments early wasn't to belittle you. I saw some of your bullying comments. It was more to help. I know for me, to keep this going I had to make it as easy as possible, which is part of the reason why it was hard for me at first to change up my exercise routine. I use to just walk for exercise, then went to walk/jog, then went to jog, then went to run. Then incorporated other cardio machines, then did a little of each cardio machines. Now doing weights and cardio and depending on the days, some days are heavy lifting and light cardio, some are 50% cardio/50% weights days, and some are just cardio.

Keep dong what your doing, experiment a little bit and don't be afraid to change it up a little.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    I understand what you are saying (I think). You only want to count for the ADDITIONAL calorie burn. If you were to log the calories while sleeping, those aren't EXTRA calories, they replace the ones already "estimated" by MFP as "actual" calories burned. Ie. If you burn 70 cal/hour while sleeping x 24 hours sleeping, that's a base calorie need of 1,680 calories per day. If you run for an hour instead, at 400 cal/hour, you wouldn't just ADD 400 to the 1,680. You first have to take out 70 calories (70*23 hours) and then add 400 for that last hour of the day for a total of 2,110 (as opposed to 2,180). Is that what you are saying?
  • kirstiey
    Options
    Wow not quite sure why you jump all over people who are trying to help you! I saw nothing "bullying" of the sort. Ive been using a HRM since August of last year. I start it right when my warm up begins and stop it after my cool down. Ive lost 41lb so far doing so. That is what most everyone I know who has a HRM does as well. I just don't see the point in being rude when people were trying to answer your question, regardless if they answered it to your approval or not.

It wasn't the answers or suggestions. I have thanked EVERYONE for these. It is the inference that I am in some way "silly" or OCD. I don't think the comments needed that bit. If you think that in some way helps people, then I am not sure how to take that. It's just not my way and all it did way make me feel like a ****head for asking.
  • kirstiey
    Options

This is some good advice, weightloss is probably 75% diet, maybe even more. And it is important to change up your workout routine. Once your body becomes accustomed to that workout, you may see less results. I reevaluate about every month or two. But, everyone is different so listen to your body, experiment a little.

My comments early wasn't to belittle you. I saw some of your bullying comments. It was more to help. I know for me, to keep this going I had to make it as easy as possible, which is part of the reason why it was hard for me at first to change up my exercise routine. I use to just walk for exercise, then went to walk/jog, then went to jog, then went to run. Then incorporated other cardio machines, then did a little of each cardio machines. Now doing weights and cardio and depending on the days, some days are heavy lifting and light cardio, some are 50% cardio/50% weights days, and some are just cardio.

Keep dong what your doing, experiment a little bit and don't be afraid to change it up a little.

No, your comment was really helpful. I was thanking you for yours :heart:

it was the couple of others I found hurtful. I am so twisted up with trying to explain the original issue and trying to undo all of the confusion, I think the whole thread is lost now! :blushing: I will just take everyones advice and chill out, change up the exercise, revise what I am eating and ignore the HRM conundrum for now. I hope that will mean goodbye Platau.
  • kirstiey
    Options
    I understand what you are saying (I think). You only want to count for the ADDITIONAL calorie burn. If you were to log the calories while sleeping, those aren't EXTRA calories, they replace the ones already "estimated" by MFP as "actual" calories burned. Ie. If you burn 70 cal/hour while sleeping x 24 hours sleeping, that's a base calorie need of 1,680 calories per day. If you run for an hour instead, at 400 cal/hour, you wouldn't just ADD 400 to the 1,680. You first have to take out 70 calories (70*23 hours) and then add 400 for that last hour of the day for a total of 2,110 (as opposed to 2,180). Is that what you are saying?

Yes exactly!!!!!!! xxxxx :love: But it is best not to start this up again. I do over think things, but it is that I can never take things at face value with weight. Plateaus mess with common sense and make you question everything. It is great that some people on here have managed to get this across in a kind and informative way.
  • ItsANewMe2012
    Options
    Hey guys, just some advice really.

I am using my new HRM for a few weeks now (Which I love!!)

I am basically taking the total calories on the display, dividing it by the total mins it has been recording my efforts and then multiplying this number by the actually amount of mins I was in the Target heart rate (cardio / fatburing zone).

e.g. 60 mins work out, 400 cals. In target HR for 45 mins = 300cals burned in reality.

Is this giving me the most accurate reading?

Thanks peeps

I used to be a member of the weightloss resources site and on there if you wanted to manually enter your calorie burn from your hrm there was a box (saying background calories) you had to tick to deduct them.

I was surprised this site did not have that option on here.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

No, your comment was really helpful. I was thanking you for yours :heart:

it was the couple of others I found hurtful. I am so twisted up with trying to explain the original issue and trying to undo all of the confusion, I think the whole thread is lost now! :blushing: I will just take everyones advice and chill out, change up the exercise, revise what I am eating and ignore the HRM conundrum for now. I hope that will mean goodbye Platau.

oh, ok, I feel better now, thanks for clarifying. keep up the good work.
  • kirstiey
    Options

I am basically taking the total calories on the display, dividing it by the total mins it has been recording my efforts and then multiplying this number by the actually amount of mins I was in the Target heart rate (cardio / fatburing zone).

e.g. 60 mins work out, 400 cals. In target HR for 45 mins = 300cals burned in reality.

Thanks peeps

I used to be a member of the weightloss resources site and on there if you wanted to manually enter your calorie burn from your hrm there was a box (saying background calories) you had to tick to deduct them.

Me too!!! That's where I got this idea from! I am so glad at least some people know what I am on about, even if we all are as "mad" as each other. (I am not calling you mad BTW):laugh:
  • ItsANewMe2012
    Options

Thanks peeps

Me too!!! That's where I got this idea from! I am so glad at least some people know what I am on about, even if we all are as "mad" as each other. (I am not calling you mad BTW):laugh:

I have been known to be described as mad :tongue:
    I have actually wanted to ask the same question before but I didn't know how to explain it.
    When we are being advised to eat all our exercise calories we don't want to overeat them,it be "only"be 100-200 a time but it all adds up.
    So I totally understand where you are coming from :flowerforyou:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    December child can you read the Orig post. You are out of context.

That is exactly what I am saying, which is why I ONLY want to log the amount of cals burned on the target Zone, not the general ones the HRM is logging whilst my heart is beating generally in warm up and cool downs.

Thanks again for all comments but please respond to the question, not the comments after it. :flowerforyou:

Just log the whole session, don't try to subtract this, add that. Just the whole session, this includes the warm up and the warm down - they are after all, part of the training session.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be horrible or anything, just posting my own opinion. No offence meant.