Losing It and Your Partner

Options

Replies

• mandijo84
    mandijo84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is by no means fat, but he has developed what he thinks is a little pudge in the belly. So when I announced that I was going to get back into shape (or attempt it, again) he wanted to get on board. Its so much easier to eat healthy when we're both doing it! He even joined MFP to keep his own food and exercise journal (mostly food) after I told him about mine.Athough I go to work earlier than him in the morning, he gets up to have breakfast with me (this is big). I need this now more than ever and I am so grateful for his support, great attitude and enthusiasm.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of both of you!! I just joined today, but have ben actively trying to get healthier since right after Christmas. My husband is a great inspiration and a wonderful help. He has changed his eating habits even though it is causing him to lose weight and he doesn't really want to. I keep telling him it has to be fat coming off since he is working out, but he is still a little bugged out. I have lost about 5 pounds total so far, which I am very proud of since I detest anything that remotely even smells like exercise! LOL! But I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have heart health issues in my family tree. I want to be there for my kids graduations and weddings and grandkids, not to mention some golden years with my wonderful hubby! It is so much easier that he is on board with me and gives me little nudges when I need it. Keep up the good work!
  • tiente
    tiente Posts: 6
    Options
    My boyfriend is a bit of a gym freak (he's fairly built) so that sort of works the other way for me- I want to get into better shape because I'm inspired by his healthy lifestyle :)
  • jstreams
    Options
    Yes, my personal trainer friend definitely got me into exercising and dieting. It's great to have a friend as a motivator!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm inspiring my dog to take longer walks. Oh wait...haha :P
  • Lyndzer
    Lyndzer Posts: 41
    Options
    I have lost 2 lbs on here and 4.5 in total!
    I got Jillian Micheals 30 day shred and intend to start that on Monday... once my hubby found out he had me get him P90X and intends to start that!

I will say to all of you working out with other people/ your husbands you need to remember not to compare your weight loss/ inches lost and feel bad, especially with men we are built different and will lose differently! You must remember this and not become discouraged!
    each persons weight loss journey is their own! as long as you stay positive, stick with it, you will ultimately become healthier and thats the most important thing!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    That's my boyfriend. He works his butt off all day and comes and just wants to sit down and eat. I suppose the job is why he is so in shape, the only "problem area" is his little belly (that you can't even notice when he has a shirt on.) I suppose he is interested in trying to get a "ripped" tummy, now that he see that I can do it. If I can do, then he can do it too. At least on his days off. :)

Haha I think we have the same man. Mine has just a tiny belly but you can't notice it unless he sits down shirtless, he almost looks 2-3 months pregnant lol.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My husband says that he sees a difference in me, so I guess I am inspiring him to get back on track. He just rejoined me again on MFP for the third time. So now I am trying to push him as well as pushing myself .
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yay for you and your boyfriend! :D

I know what you're talking about and it's an awesome feeling to be an inspiration. The same thing is actually happening with me and my boyfriend. I started this back in October, then fell off the wagon for a while... but came back at the beginning of this month. After he saw the results I had back in October and then saw the results I'm already getting now that I'm back, he has decided he wants to get in shape, too. He has started trying to eat healthier and he goes running now, which he hasn't done in years. Don't get me wrong, like your boyfriend he's already in great shape - I think he only weighs a few pounds more than I do but he is much taller - but we can all stand to be more healthy! :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! When I read the title I thought you meant your partner had left you! Well done, good effort!!
  • santamommy
    Options
    My husband says I should love him reguardless and he has zero interest in working out. He is a diabetic, over weight and does not watch what he eats..He eats tons of sweets then takes his shots....???? He knows the deal and I have talked til I was blue in the face so all I can do is look after number one and hope he opens his eyes.....I will keep up my good work without him if I have too....
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I am always encouraging my wife to go to the gym with me. Lately, she's been taking me up on the offer. She has tried so many times to lose weight and loses her focus when her loss happens so slowly. I bought her a Bodybugg for Christmas and it seems to be helping her maintain her focus.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My husband inspired me. I wanted to lose weight, and I made some feeble efforts, but after watching the attention he got from family and friends for losing 50lbs, I felt like a slob next to him.

I don't follow the same methods he does for eating, working out, because our bodies are very different, but I am eating less overall, and working out more. I'm down 12 or 13lbs so far, and on my tiny frame, it's noticeable.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has no interest. He says he's proud of me for sticking to this, but he definitely would not count calories. He's the type of person who eats nothing all day and then pigs out at night.

He has got a bit of a belly, but I'd say that's from his love of beer more than anything else. And I know he'll never give that up!

So long as he's supportive to me, I don't mind. I think he's perfect just how he is.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are trying to influence your partner to lose weight, I'd like to leave a bit of advice, since I've been on the other side of that:

1. Lead by example. Whether you are a healthy weight or not, you should eat healthy food and exercise.

2. Love your partner, in sickness, health, better or worse, blah blah blah.

3. Don't nag. Your loved one has to do it on their own, and they have to want to do it for themselves, not for you. We all do lots of nice things for our significant others, but changing who we are and what we look like should not be one of them.

4. Create an environment that makes losing weight easy. Keep a stash of fresh fruit hanging around and eat your veggies regularly. Leave your workout equipment available if your partner wants to use it, but don't say anything.

5. Be proud of your partner for working out or compliment his or her healthy choice of food. Don't say he or she is fat... No one wants to hear that, and we already know.

6. Recognize that your partner is an adult. You are not authorized to tell him or her what to eat, and how to workout. They are not a child, and if you challenge the right to decide these little things, you will be faced with a rebellion. Don't make the hungry person that you love ANGRY.
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Usually when I start working out a ton my husband will start for no reason lol. It's cute!
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by three people, two friends who lost over 100 lbs each and in particular my wife. After she had lost 50 lbs over 6 months I finally got on the bandwagon with her. I had been walking with her before but not doing any serious dieting. Between the two of us we have lost a whole person.
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My sister said she was going to join me when she saw that I lost 10 pounds (2 weeks ago or so), but then she realized she eats 1000 calories for breakfast, and said she couldn't eat just 1800 calories a day.

My fiance on the other hand has been working out beside me for the past month and a half since I started and he was logging his calories for a while, but recently we have both fallen off track a little. We both said we are starting back again and better than before.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    my husband has always been super skinny between 140-150, and he got out of the army last year, and has put on some weight. he got up to 180, which looks good on him, but i have inspired him to work out and tone. he lost 2 pounds last week, so he is at 178, but he has built up so much muscle. He is super happy now, and he is enjoying this as much as me now! :tongue:
  • KathyEarhart
    KathyEarhart Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My husband has been my number one encourager. He cooks (used to be super unhealthy); but now he cooks healthy for me. Between me not buying the junk I used to and him cooking healthy, he has lost weight. He was maybe 10-20 lbs. overweight before. He's been getting more compliments on his weight loss lately, asking how he did it. He just points at me-lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!