Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat version of grandma's recipe

Bake (skin on) for 1 hour at 400 degrees
    Allow to cool
    Peel & cut into cubes in a shallow dish
    In saucepan, combine about equal parts of orange juice and brown sugar, heat until a syrup forms, but don't let it go to boil
    Pour syrup over potatoes
    Bake at 250 until hot

DO NOT put marshmallows on them!!!

If you do, the bowels of hell will open and consume you in brimstone.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Usually poke a hole with a fork and nuke it for 4 minutes. Bam!

Or...

Julienne them with zucchini and toss in some mushrooms and asparagus spears. Toss in fresh minced garlic, parsley and EVOO. Bake and done. Delicious veggie "fries"
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I do the same - poke it with a fork and bake for 1 hour at 400. Eat it plain. Love them. Might throw one in the oven right now. But actually I buy yams, not sweet potatoes.

I am terrified of yams after reading an article of the significant twinning statistics in a village in Nigeria suspecting Nigerian yams ROFL. I read a related article 4 years ago and can't get it out of my head when I see yams.

"There is hardly a family here without a set of twins," said community leader Olayide Akinyemi

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_IsZNBK7Hf1B4VhfWtFxg7G2svw

LOL! My ex-husband is Nigerian and has just had twins. Must pass on the article to him. hehe.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatos have been my favorite food lately. Try allrecipes.com for awesome sweet potato recipes thats where I get all mine.
  • PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    Pan fry them in coconut oil... Trust me its awesome
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into tiny slices ( like fries) , and bake them. I spray the pan covered in tin foil with cooking spray and then spray the "fries" I like to sprinkle on curry powder and sea salt sometimes too. Or you can sprinkle on cinnamon if you like sweet.

I LOVE them with curry powder! This is my favorite side dish! Totally curbs my cravings for potatoes!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Usually poke a hole with a fork and nuke it for 4 minutes. Bam!
    ^^^ yup. I don't even use a fork! I just eat the darn thing like it is.
    Yams over sweet potatoes, though. They've been my new favorite thing for a while, but now I've discovered the joy of Habaneros.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    I peel them cut them up and roast in oven with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt yummmmmmyyy
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    i either poke it with a fork and stick it in the microwave with a cup of water (to keep moisture) for about 7-10 mins.
    or boil it
    both are good.
    then add add a table spoon off i cant belive its not butter and a table spoon of cinnamon sugar mix:)
    YUMMMMMM:)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I do the same - poke it with a fork and bake for 1 hour at 400. Eat it plain. Love them. Might throw one in the oven right now. But actually I buy yams, not sweet potatoes.

^^^^ This - I bake enough for the week - and then I can just quickly pop them in the microwave when I want to eat them.....
    I buy the orange sweet potato's - they look like pumpkin when cooked - and soooo nice and naturally sweet - yum!!
  • 4abeach
    4abeach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love them! Some people call yams sweet potatoes and I like them both. I usually cut my sweet potatoes into wedges and sprinkle with sea salt, course pepper and rosemary and drizzle with about a tsp of Olive Oil. Toss it all together then roast at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. YUMMY! As for yams I love those as well and my favorite way to cook them is to boil them with skin on, peel the skin off then mash. I make several ramakins per week with about 1 cup mashed sweet potatoe topped with 1 tab brown sugar, 1 tsp walnuts and 1 tsp butter. They make a perfect filling snack or even a dessert.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'll eat them any way they come! I think my fav is roasted though. Cut them into cubes, drizzle a little oliveoil and if you wish add the seasoning of your choice (chilli flakes or cajun seasoning work really well). I do this with sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot and chuck in a couple of cloves of garlic - awesome.

They also work really well re-heated, you can pan fry them to reheat which works fine and actually changes the flavour/texture a little too.

Enjoy!
  • natalieanthony
    natalieanthony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    this is the best I don't have a madolin but I use parchment paper and skip on the oil, its unnecessary and super fattening. sometimes I add cinnamon. but usually not.