How do you excersize when you are so overweight??

Options

Replies

• Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started at 331, and after I hit 50lb lost, I decided to do the C25k and sign up for a 5k in mid March. I have been doing it for 3 weeks and I am so proud of where I've ended up so far. I am not going fast, I am shuffling (as a previous poster put it). :happy: I remember before I got married 8 years ago, I could barely do the elliptical for 10 minutes. Now 45 is easy (boring, but easy). Just start slow and slowly increase your time/distance. It will come! You can do it!
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started running at 220 and ran my first 5k at 175 and have never had any issues with my joints. Buy a good cushioned pair of running shoes... I love my asics gels... and listen to your body.
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Morning :smile: I have a little more weight to loose that you. Personally I also felt afraid of taking that step into the jogging phase. I got soaking wet in the rain yesterday because I would not run for fear of falling or hurting myself and that would spell disaster.

For me, I have been walking now for two months. I could not even get down 5steps but each day slowly slowly and now I am walking (still slowy) for about 40minutes a day.

I was always afraid of the impact of jogging on my joints especially my knees but so I stayed away from jogging. On Friday IT HAPPENED!!!!!!My children and I took the soccer ball to the beach and my daughter started kicking the ball to me and I kicked back and before I knew it I had started jogging and WOW what a feeling
    :drinker: I was dribbling the ball and moving and although I thought I was jogging fast (my daughter joked and said Mom your jog is as fast as my fast walk (she is 10) I laughed as it didn't matter how fast all I knew was that my feet were lifting a little higher off the ground and WOW WHAT A FEELING?

Afterwards I stretched, had a hot bath, stretched and was aching - the next day stretched and walked and stretched and yes my knees were sore, my back is still sore but I crossed that line "NO LONGER AFRAID" to jog, I jogged on Sunday but a little then walk and then stretch and what has also helped my in the meantime is going to physio and accupuncture which has aided my aches and pains - which I can expect considering I have not done exercises for years.

It sound crazy but it is such a GREAT PAIN! and well I find now playing soccer on the beach with the kiddos is a great help as I jogg to the ball and well it feels great.

In your heart you will no when to start jogging. But I really must say without physio and accupuncture and of course my husband to massage my body and to help ease the stiffness it would be much harder.

So GOOOOOOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :happy: :smile:
  • debshedkg
    Options
    hI THANKS for the reminder I actually will get into swimming again.... have a great day.
  • debshedkg
    Options
    What a great idea - thanks
  • debshedkg
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....I am looking for any suggestions or tips. I walk every night at a fairly good pace and enjoy it but have the urge to run...unfortunatley I am probably 70lbs overweight and I dont think I can run...Im afraid I may break an ankle or something. Anyone out there been through this?? I really would like to be able to run or jog at some point but dont know where to begin?

in physical therapy, they recommend walk / run programs for people who are just getting into running, whether it's 1st timers or someone coming back from an injury

Week 1 walk 4 mins, jog 1 min, repeat 3 times

Week 2: walk 3 mins, run 2 mins, repeat 3 times

Week 3: ...

You get the idea. I'm sure you could google a good plan.
  • KarleeS92
    KarleeS92 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ever watched The biggest loser?? they get on treadmills and are made to run. there are other forms of cardio you can do as well.. Star jumps, (400lbs people can do it, you can too!), squat down, hold the squat and do some punches across your body, gets ur heart rate up etc.

You can run. just take it easy, dont push yourself too far to start with and each tie try to run further.
    Good luck! :D

Oh also, C25k (couch to 5km challenge) is a 9 weeks program to get you from the couch to running 5km. its a mix of running/jogging and walking :)
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I asked my doctor this recently. He advised me to use a bike. Stationary or regular. Because if you are over weight you may put too much weight on your joint and cause major injury.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, start off slow. Don't try to actually run, just do a little jog that is at conversational pace. If you only last 15 seconds, that's ok. Give yourself time to recover and then try another 15. Or however length of time you can go. Everyone starts somewhere and you definitely don't want to hurt yourself. Over time, you can gradually increase the length of time you can go for and the distance you cover.

I'm about 65 pounds overweight and I am able to run a mile and a half without stopping. Of course, I did not start off that way. It took me 30 minutes just to walk/jog a mile the first time I tried. I can now run a mile in 12 minutes. I'm also training for my first half marathon in april. I'm very excited.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!!!!
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Walking in or outdoors
    Exercise Bike
    5 lbs and 10lb hand weights
    Exercise DVD's geared towards
    my level and speed the ones
    that have 10 & 15 min workout
    I don't do all these things at once,
    I rotate between them to get a
    good workout and what works for me.
    You've been given good advice do what
    suits you and your level,take it easy
    when building up your stamina.
    Another note also I find when
    working out if you feel like you have
    to many jiggly parts as others say I
    find it helpful to wear good support
    garments like sport bras and pants
    when working out I sometime even
    double teh sport bra to get the right
    support especially if I do jump rope.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    70 pounds is nothin' honey! You can do it! I'm a good 100+ lbs overweight and I get my *kitten* out there and run. I started out running 10 seconds at a time and got to where I could run 3 miles without stopping :)
  • shadowprancer
    Options
    I suggest that if you walk for 20 minutes a day, make 1 minute of that running. When you don't feel as winded make it two minutes, and so on an so forth.

Important!!!

Before you do anything, you need to look up how to run correctly. So many people run incorrectly and end up injuring their knees and ankle ligaments (making them less likely to keep up their running). Here's a link with an excellent graphic that gives you pointers.

http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/train/a-beginner’s-guide-to-running-and-why-you’ve-been-doing-it-wrong

I know it's a lot to think about and to get used to, but if you keep it up and focus on the technique,s they will become natural and you will perform faster and more efficiently and safely. However, one thing that the article does not tell you, when running, land on your heel and roll to the ball of the foot (it is called the "follow through") if you do this it will prevent unnecessary stress on the ball of your foot and keep you from getting plantar fasciitis. Your shins will be sore for awhile, but your body will get used to it.
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I also dream of being a runner. It's in my family. I did my first 5k in November at 225lbs at only 5'2". Did I run the entire thing? No. But stretched, walked to the end of my driveway looked down the road and just started running. When I was tired, I stopped. When I caught my breath, I ran again. I am now on hold with running and doing Zumba to continue losing weight... once I am a little more comfortable, hopefully by Spring, it will be easier to enjoy running.
    If I were you, I would sign up for a race. It's intimidating, but, there were A LOT of very overweight people at my 5k.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....I am looking for any suggestions or tips. I walk every night at a fairly good pace and enjoy it but have the urge to run...unfortunatley I am probably 70lbs overweight and I dont think I can run...Im afraid I may break an ankle or something. Anyone out there been through this?? I really would like to be able to run or jog at some point but dont know where to begin?

You go somewhere where there is soft ground underfoot, such as grass or dirt-track (this lessens the impacts of the foot striking the ground and causing shockwaves up your legs) and you start off very, very gradually, perhaps jog for 100metres, then walk for 200m, then jog again for 100m, then walk 200m etc. The next session, up the jog by 50 or 100m and do the same again. Everytime you go out to do your session, up that jog just a little bit further, eventually you will find you don't feel the need for the walk or if you do, it will be few and far between. You could, if you wish, instead of aiming for distance, aim for running for one minute and up the time each session. Even running for 30 seconds that first session will get you into it all.

Don't run everyday either, no matter how keen you are, start it really slowly and gradually build up, you have plenty of time.
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    lots of good advice here

I try not to increase my workouts by more than 10% per week when training up. I'm not in a rush to get there. I'm just building inertia slowly so that I will make it with as few bumps as possible.
  • lovex5
    lovex5 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm 100lbs overweight. Actually more than that if I'm aiming for what "they" say I should weigh, around 125lbs. My goal though is about 140. Anyway, I highly recommend Leslie Sansone Walk dvd's. Some laugh at them but it's a fairly simple dvd that will definitely make you sweat. My husband is a soldier and despite him pt'ing every morning he even sweats when doing the dvd's. I like them a lot! Some days I hop on our elliptical trainer but I much prefer the walking. Good luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I was jogging at 400+lbs. not fast or for marathon distances but I was. alot of people mentioned the C25K. I was on week 1 of the program for a good 2 months. but before that I walked. walked and walked. then added in stairs and hills. did that for about 4-5 months. After walking for so long and not nearly feeling the burn and boredom setting in it was when I started I decided to jog.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Umm... did that say 250 pounds lost, or am I seeing things? (hits side of head and goes crosseyed)

It did, it really did.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    That's so amazing! Congratulations!