How do you excersize when you are so overweight??

Options
Hi everyone....I am looking for any suggestions or tips. I walk every night at a fairly good pace and enjoy it but have the urge to run...unfortunatley I am probably 70lbs overweight and I dont think I can run...Im afraid I may break an ankle or something. Anyone out there been through this?? I really would like to be able to run or jog at some point but dont know where to begin?

Replies

• ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would love to run too.. but i am waiting until i am less floppy and jiggly.I dream of the day when i can just run and not be bouncing all over.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    If using a treadmill put it on an incline so you can still walk at a slower pace but the intensity is higher, If using a bike or an elliptical than turn the resistance up so it is harder to peddle. Hope this helps :)
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Start by walking, cycling, or using an elliptical trainer if you have access to one. Then add some strength training. I'm 110 pounds overweight and perfectly capable of exercise. While one of my long-term goals is running a 5K, running is not the only type of exercise. Anything that gets you moving is going to be helpful towards your weight loss goal.

If you're looking for a program to help you begin to run, you may want to check out Couch to 5K.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    We got an Xbox and do Zumba and Dancing :-) I can't always keep up, but it's a great calorie burner and would get you on the way to more loss and ultimately running.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Walking is probably best for now but isn't it exciting to feel like you want to run! Walk hills & stairs & bleachers if available. Carry hand weights or pick up rocks and lift them in different ways while you walk. Google Race Walking to see how fast a person can go just walking. Swimming and water-aerobics are low impact too. How about dancing to your favorite tunes?
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...well, to some extent, it depends a lot on your body. Plenty of people 70+ pounds overweight run. Me personally? When I had that much to lose and starting running--outside, on concrete--I messed up my knees. For months, all I could do is the rowing machine and really regretted just jumping into it like that. But I am 4'11". Me carrying around 70+ extra pounds isn't really the same as someone 5'8" carrying 70+ pounds. And how much your knees can handle is partly a matter of genetics as well as differences in running technique. And...you need to build up muscles and tendons/ligaments to run...not just cardio ability.

BOTTOM LINE: All things being equal, simply being overweight shouldn't keep you from doing more vigorous activity. (Look at the amateurs in running-races...some of those folks are 45-50 lbs overweight. Being large doesn't mean you can't push yourself.)

BUT, you should ease yourself into it. If you feel like you want to try running a bit, you could try it...a little 30 second interval at a time...and see how your body responds to it.

OR, you can try something more vigorous that is lower impact than running. A group exercise class or DVD.

Good luck!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Start SLOW and a small distance. You don't want to pull something. TRUST ME! I did that! I thought I could run a mile the first night and sprained my knee (I wasn't able to exercise for 3 weeks!!!). Start small and slowly increase distance. Check out Couch 2 5k!
  • browniesx2
    Options
    for the first month all i did was the elliptical. start out slow and it is very easy on joints and such. i started at 20 minutes and now i can easily do forty minutes at higher levels of resistance. plus strength training is also a great way to exercise without the feeling of cardio overload. i waited after a month or so of elliptical training before adding that in.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just do a little at a time. I actually started with a Body Pump class, and seriously don't know how I managed to do it 50 lbs ago. If you need to, do every other rep, but just DO something. The pool is also a great way to start...just walk back and forth if you can't handle swimming yet.
  • Cassi1990
    Cassi1990 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Im over 100# over weight and I can run! you just have to build up to it. walk for X minutes. then run for X minutes. then walk. then run and work your way up to running longer.

If it really is that hard, try speed walking for a while. then jogging. then running.

you gotta work your way up sometimes! (:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone....I am looking for any suggestions or tips. I walk every night at a fairly good pace and enjoy it but have the urge to run...unfortunatley I am probably 70lbs overweight and I dont think I can run...Im afraid I may break an ankle or something. Anyone out there been through this?? I really would like to be able to run or jog at some point but dont know where to begin?

You might be shocked what you can accomplish, 70 pounds over or not. :-)

I think it's wise to protect yourself - so a supportive exercise bra, wrapping your ankles, supporting your knee... whatever that means for you. And then to practice your stance to reduce impact. When I run, I really more glide... almost slide my feet and keep my knees soft. About 120 pounds ago, I had a dream to run a half marathon. Unheard of and unbelievable, I thought at that weight. But I did it, and didn't break a thing!
  • bijoux2711
    Options
    Just make sure you do it at your pace and invest in some good shoes. I started running at 300lbs. When I say running it was more of a shuffle whilst I slowly built my strength and confidence. C25K was a great starting point for me.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I run a couple miles a day and I have lots of more weight on me than you do. If you think you can, you can!:smile:
  • teenytinylove
    Options
    biking really helps. you burn a ton of calories and still get your workout.
  • BenjaminMckee123
    BenjaminMckee123 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If using a treadmill put it on an incline so you can still walk at a slower pace but the intensity is higher, If using a bike or an elliptical than turn the resistance up so it is harder to peddle. Hope this helps :)

I totally agree with this. i did this when i was about a total of 90 pounds overweight. it really helped me to start. than i started jogging on a 4.0-4.6 speed. eventually it gets easier and is so much fun!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I burn mega calories in spin class and I was more than 100 lbs overweight when I started. First time is the hardest!
  • dr4m4qu33n
    Options
    I have a mini trampoline, I got it at Walmart I think, for like 20-25? I can't remember how much it was exactly. I use to to jog, its much easier than running on hard sidewalk/road. I've had heel issues in the past and the trampoline allowed me to still jog w/out so much pain. It's great! You can really work up a sweat and run in place. Also, if you are worried about your ankles you should wrap them up before hand, with ace bandages, or the thinner medical ones. My husband use to always wrap his ankles when he played Gaelic football, when he didn't he'd always roll or twist an ankle. I highly recommend a mini trampoline tho, you can do a lot with them!
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    just start walking 5 min then run for 1or 2 minutes ....then repeat ...start slow and work your way up to running longer.... thats what i did and i can run now for 22min and i still need to lose 55 pounds
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh 197 and have 77lbs to lose and I run at 5.0-5.2mph. I can now run a mile without stopping, but I didn't start like that. The first 15min of my workout are my hardest and when I started running I did 8min off and on of running. Running was at 5.0 mph and walking was at 2.6mph.

Every week I added a minute of running and did one less minute of walking. I now walk at 3.7mph for 3 min and run at 5.2mph for 12min. It wasn't easy and I had to ease myself into doing, but it does feel great to be able to run a mile. I've never been able to do that before.

My next goal is to run a 10 min mile (6.0mph) I'm not sure how long it will take me to work into it, but it'll happen.
  • AuntieLisa4
    AuntieLisa4 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi i use biggest loser dvds. they are easy to understand but you will sweat to death! lol but thats what we want.