If you're going to abandon your dog...

Options
13»

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    We adopted our dog from a rescue shelter. She was 7 weeks old and found at the end of January in -30C weather wandering the streets. She had been out there for some time as she was severely emaciated and full of worms. They couldn't even tell what kind of dog she was. We saw her because my 10 yo daughter and my sister volunteer at the shelter and the moment I saw her I knew she was coming home with us.

She is now the happiest, goofiest loyal german shepherd/husky mix who just turned a year old last month and is healthy as a horse and 70+ lbs. Spoiled rotten too!
  • Purplegirl0670
    Options
    Wellbert----Thank you, she was precious. Broke my heart!!! It was given to my kids from "Santa"so I had to watch their hearts break too. They did say if they get another dog they want to go to a shelter. I love their compassionate hearts!!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    what a cutie!! and yes people do suck, very very much.

I took in a pup off the street once, she was about 5 months old and her owners were evicted so they just left her behind in the backyard with no food, water or shelter. she broke free after a couple days and i picked her up off the street. She's 9 years old now and i love her to death!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful pup she is! And word of advice, don't take her to the Humane Society. If you can, take her to the SPCA or research another truly no kill shelter. The Humane Society doesn't kill animals there, they send them out to a pound or other kill shelter to do it. It makes me angry how many people support them, especially with the story in the news lately.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    Those who are not animal people just don't get it.
    I value my dog more than most people I know.

Exactly. After years of working at an animal shelter stories like this never surprise me. This was a daily occurrence where I worked. :angry:
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Awwww she's a Pittie or at least a part Pit. If I wasnt in Alberta I'd take her in. I have 2 and they are extremely lovey dogs.
    __

It is possible that the dog escaped while they were moving out, but I do tend to think she was abandoned since they didn't talk to any neighbors about her, put up any posters, or make any effort to keep a yard (so full of feces the doggie was running out of room to lay down.) Also, she doesn't explore at all. She just sat in the yard at the empty house.

One thing I wasn't prepared for - we took her for a short walk - damn dog pulls like a tractor! I thought my border collie could pull a leash. I could hire this dog out to rip tree stumps out of the ground. Wow!

I have always had dogs and have recently started volunteering for a pit rescue group. You are not kidding that they can pull :-) Although there were the ones that are huge yet well-trained that were easy to walk.

Thank you so much for what you are doing! How long do you have before you will have to turn her over to a no-kill shelter? Do you know if she gets along with other dogs? Also, what part of California do you live in?

I'm on Fb with a lot of rescue groups from all over the country. I can try to share the story with as many as possible to see if we can find a rescu eto take her.

I live in Texas and found a German Shepherd that my dogs would not get along with. It took me about 2 weeks but eventually a rescue group from another state covered all his medical bills and they helped me find him a home. They did all the applications and home visit. I then drove him to a town about 4 hours away and he's doing great, i still get email updates from his new owners. I just told you that story to let you know that it is possible through networking to find a rescue.