Diet Soda

Options
Hi There,
I'm sure its been posted a trillion times... I couldn't find it in the forum? And I'm new so not really sure where to look.

Why is Diet Soda so bad? I saw someone posted it can slow your weight loss down, why is this?

I only drink it and water (and the occasional glass of white wine).

Is it really worse then coffee?

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The reason diet soda is bad... besides it being a mess of man-made chemicals and artificial sweeteners... is that it is sweet, but has no calories. The sweetness primes your body for calories, then it doesn't get them, so it makes you more prone to overeat.

That's what I've read, anyway. For me, I will still buy a diet coke when we're eating out, because I don't want to add another 200+ calories onto a meal that's already too high. I'm not sure whether that science bears out if you're drinking it along with food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    That's an assumption that it makes people overeat. People that gain weight drink diet pop. People that lose weight drink diet pop. Wonder what the answer is.
  • luvwindycity
    luvwindycity Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In general I am not a fan of the artificial sweeteners they have in diet drinks as I don't think they are good for you. I do drink sparkling water as it gives me that carbonated fizz I like in soda along with iced tea and good ole basic water.
  • PDiddy0913
    Options
    I love diet soda. I've tried to get off of it and found that I overate when I was off of it. I don't drink at all. I don't smoke. If diet soda is the only "bad" thing I do, then so be it. It helps keep me full and helps me with my sweet tooth as well.
  • Momsarah5
    Momsarah5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. I love diet soda and it is the only bad thing I do. I am going to give myself the pleasure and keep it around!!! ;)
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda. I've tried to get off of it and found that I overate when I was off of it. I don't drink at all. I don't smoke. If diet soda is the only "bad" thing I do, then so be it. It helps keep me full and helps me with my sweet tooth as well.

What he said :) I cut back, but I still have 1 a day.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Ive heard all about diet soda being bad also...but I still drink it...I still lose weight and prob will never stop drinking it.
  • Kelico528
    Options
    Yup, I'm part of the "It's the ONE bad thing I do" club too :-)
  • mariatag
    mariatag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree,i dont drink, dont smoke.i dont think a diet coke will hurt, I only have one a day,and it helps fill me up
  • mamaof4boyz
    Options

thats what i say exactly. if the worst i do is drink diet pepsi then im ok with that. now i have cut down from my min 6 cans a day so im happy with that. cheers
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options

Agreed!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its not bad.. just like anything else in moderation
  • MelsLeanDream
    MelsLeanDream Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Agreed... don't drink or smoke. I have 1 can a day...its my 'sweet treat' :)
  • trishoida
    Options
    "3 Surprising Reasons to Give Up Soda"

http://www.rodale.com/soda-health-problems
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    my naturopath hates it and has tried to get me to stop drinking it. It's the chemicals..may cause cancer etc. as far as I know.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The reason diet soda is bad... besides it being a mess of man-made chemicals and artificial sweeteners... is that it is sweet, but has no calories. The sweetness primes your body for calories, then it doesn't get them, so it makes you more prone to overeat.

lol are you trolling?
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm part of the "one a day" crowd. I don't drink coffee or tea, so it's how I get my mid-morning caffeine jolt.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I drink it. All that caffeiney, fizzy goodness and no calories. And, let's be honest, drinking diet soda is so NOT what made me fat lol.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I'm sure its been posted a trillion times... I couldn't find it in the forum? And I'm new so not really sure where to look.

Why is Diet Soda so bad? I saw someone posted it can slow your weight loss down, why is this?

I only drink it and water (and the occasional glass of white wine).

Is it really worse then coffee?

In reasonable amounts it is not detrimental to your health and will not slow your weight loss.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    "3 Surprising Reasons to Give Up Soda"

http://www.rodale.com/soda-health-problems

1) Reputable source *check*
    2) Its a blog *check*
    3) Talks about invisible fat *check
    4) mentions toxins *check*

I'm convinced