How do you handle days when you have little to no energy?

Options

Replies

• Inacay
    Inacay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you still force yourself to workout? If sooo, how do you find the energy inside to do so?

See, I have problems sleeping. I don't sleep well at all so I'm tired more often than not. Days when I'm not tired, I'm starting to enjoy working out. Of course, when I'm tired no matter how much I would LIKE to work out, it's sooo hard to force myself to. If I could just simply take a nap or get some extra sleep so I can, it'd be great! BUT it doesn't always work like that with me.

So how do you handle working out when you're exhausted?

I have the same problem. I have a really low metabolism and have trouble sleeping at night. There is an audio CD that helps me both sleep and get motivated to work out. I find that I am more creative, energetic, and less stressed during the times that I use the CD. I try to listen to it every other day because it helps. It's the Glenn Harrold Hypnosis Lose Weight Now CD.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Carb up and go.

This!!! I do split workouts and put most of my emphasis on the first workout so if I am feeling sluggish I will eat extra carbs (3 pcs. Brownberry Health Nut toast with All Natural Peanut Butter. I also take a 32 oz. of Gatorade Preform low calorie Grape flavor to drink during my workout..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and noticed that on my "off" days when I force myself to workout I don't burn nearly as many cal's as the days when I am ready to exercise and have the energy. I track my workout routines and did one upper body that burned 500+ cal's on my energy filled day. I did it again a few weeks later, same weight/reps overall time and only burned just over 250 cal's
    Don't you think its still better to burn 250 calories than ZERO calories though?

I'm not judging you personally, but for me its a slippery slope...if I allow myself to start skipping the gym just because I feel tired, then it gets easier to skip the next time and then the old vicious circle of being "too tired to workout, and tired because I'm not getting enough exercise" returns.....
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    I never "feel" like working out! And I always dread it! Which is really strange, because just a few minutes in and I feel better, and when I am done I feel great and ready to take on the rest of the day. But, everyday, even knowing how I will feel during and after, I still struggle getting started. It is all a matter of willpower and determination! Like right now, I need to get my son down for his nap and get on my treadmill.....I will get there! Good luck to you!
  • truckie332
    Options
    let me start with i am EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! i dont sleep very much at all. my job requires me to be up some nights and not others, so im not able to develope a pattern. i will tell u this , naps can be part of the problem. i understand u want and maybe even need one, but u have to resist the daytime sleepmonster if u want to come close to a developing a healthy schedule. second, diet is a huge factor in your energy. Cutting too many calories = crash. not getting the CORRECT carbs=crash. pay close tattention to your nutrition and eventualy u will learn what food is good fuel and what kind is not. one of my number one suppliments is COFFEE. as far as energy to work out, theres no magic pill or secret for that. its completely up to you to self motivate. remember your reasons you began the healthy lifestyle journey to begin with. my motivation comes from my kids. Men in my family dont have a very long lifespan for one reason or another, and quite frankly, im not ready to die yet lol. but my number one method for motivation, is a quote: " if you want something bad enough, youll make it happen, if you dont youll make excusses". Hope this helps and NEVER QUIT.
  • skedzie
    skedzie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings when I get home...I have a desk job so I sit all day, so most of the time I'm sluggish and don't feel like doing anything. BUT...I make myself get on the treadmill.....and always feel SO much better after I do it.

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

This is me also ^^^ - I sit all day long and used to make excuses to not go to the gym. In the past few weeks I have started going everynight and OMG I haven't felt this great in a long time. More energy, sleeping better, moving better, less joint pain...I could go on and on! I would love to add an at homework out in the mornings (like JM 30 DS) but getting up earlier is tough for me. Again it's just me making excuses....So this is my new goal for myself is to add the morning.

Listen to your body and if it's not giving you a specific reason to not work out (such as a sore knee etc) then try to get in a little bit - It will probably give you more energy to add more! Good Luck
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Carb up and go.

i honestly think this is the best answer ive seen on MFP!!!

when im tired... i suck it up.. tired is just state of mind... i eat my blueberry muffin(yes a blueberry muffin when bulking, good amount of carbs to get me through my workout) n once i start lifting i have about 50x more energy!!!
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the crowd here. I just do it and sometimes I get a surge of energy and sometimes not. But at least I get a workout in.
    The guilt of NOT working out is too much for me to bear most days! :embarassed:
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    Depending on the day and what I have going on, sometimes it easier to convince myself to work out more than once but for shorter times. I'll split my hour work out into 2 half hour sessions. That way I can say, well I only have to work out for 30 minutes and I'll feel like I'm done sooner. Then later on I can say I only have 30 minutes left. Maybe somewhere between the two workouts I find some energy too. :)
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day and what I have going on, sometimes it easier to convince myself to work out more than once but for shorter times. I'll split my hour work out into 2 half hour sessions. That way I can say, well I only have to work out for 30 minutes and I'll feel like I'm done sooner. Then later on I can say I only have 30 minutes left. Maybe somewhere between the two workouts I find some energy too. :)

Oohl I like that. hehe
  • ojell
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! You guys are sooooo right! I love you all so much! You're making this journey so much better.
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make working out the first thing I do in the morning, because I know I run out of energy by the end of the day.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the more I workout, the better I sleep. I'm a little high strung... :laugh: So the workout really lets me put out that energy and allow myself to be ready for bed at night. And I love the way I feel after I workout and enjoy it, so that is my motivation to remind me that exercise (for me personally) just boosts me up and keeps me going. :happy:
  • MamaLuvsDJ
    Options
    Hmm you SHOULD get sleep, when you have the mentality of I WILL TRY to get sleep you leave the option of failing. Ever since this journey I have forced myself to sleep 8 hrs daily. It helps my energy levels. What is it keeping you that you can't sleep??
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dance - seriously put some drumming music on, or some funky indie music, just enjoy it and relax and dance and dance and dance - nothing hectic, maybe you will feel better. Chat to your GP nb:yawn:
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    absolutely:drinker:
  • andrialindsay
    Options
    Are you getting enough iron and b-vitamins? Something to think about as far as zapped energy. I mean along with the bad sleep...
    Working out will help with that. Try some melatonin, a soothing shower, or some guided meditation?
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If it's my body telling me to slow down & skip a day... that's what I do...

But it I am just having lazy thoughts, I exercise anway... I just make myself do it. Just like I have to be at work on time. I have that same mind set when it comes to exercising.
  • g0ldenb0y55
    g0ldenb0y55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You just have to get up and go! If you eat right and exercise you'll definitely sleep better. My biggest problem sometimes is time management. Some days I have very little time to work out so I split up my work out times, 30 mins in the morning and then 30 mins after work.
  • ojell
    Options
    Hmm you SHOULD get sleep, when you have the mentality of I WILL TRY to get sleep you leave the option of failing. Ever since this journey I have forced myself to sleep 8 hrs daily. It helps my energy levels. What is it keeping you that you can't sleep??

Honestly, I dont know. I mean I get tired early. It's kind of a joke with my neighbors and some of my friends. I'm ready for bed around 8pm usually, BUT I usually hold off until at least 9-10. I fall right to sleep. The problem is I don't sleep through the night. I wake up a LOT! I typically officially get up between 6:30 and 7am, and I am dragging butt right out of bed. It sucks reeeeeally bad. So, if I could just stay asleep, I would be getting a good amount of sleep, but I just wake up all throughout the night.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!