Picky Husband Dilemma!

Options
tiffett
tiffett Posts: 15 Member
So, here's my dilemma....

My husband works a VERY physical job and he does NOT eat enough throughout his workday, he really needs to put on some weight..... while I am trying to drop some! Uh-oh!

Plus the guy is a picky eater.... no soups, no pastas, nothing "tomato sauce" based, no casseroles of any sort, not whole grains or wheat.... Oy! He really loves healthy meals, grilled chicken and salad for example but thats not helping him gain weight, the same thing gets so boring after a while and firing up the grill every night? What a pain!

I'm looking for meals for him (high calorie, filling and tasty) AND meals for me (low cal in moderation, healthy and full of the nutrients I need while getting in shape). This seems so difficult! But I am sure I'm making it harder than it needs to be....

I LOVE using my crock pot, it's so easy to come home and just serve it up...any suggestions there?

Replies

• Tatyana130
    Options
    Maybe he can just have a few protein shakes to ADD to whatever healthy stuff you guys are eating already? I would hate to cook two different meals...
  • determinedsocialworker
    Options
    Not sure if this will help him or not, but there are a ton of deeeelicious recipes on www.skinnytaste.com. Just make him eat 2 servings.. lol. Good luck. :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe he can just have a few protein shakes to ADD to whatever healthy stuff you guys are eating already? I would hate to cook two different meals...

I like this idea -- and suggest that he make them will full fat milk/yogurt if more calories are needed.
  • tiffett
    tiffett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh.... I didn't mention he HATES sweets. Chocolate, ice cream, cakes.... etc. We tried to the protein shake thing; strawberry, vanilla, etc. lol. He gagged after one drink....when I say picky I mean PICKY!!! lol!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I know you said you are getting sick of bbq'ing chicken, but what about cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot. It literally falls off the bones. Then you could have in tacos, enchiladas, burritos or he could just have it by itself. Another one is meatballs, another one you can cook in the crock pot. They could be all beef, beef and turkey mixed or just turkey. You could put them with pasta and sauce, he could have a meatball sub. Beef Roast in the crock pot with some mashed potatoes and veggies or sweet potatoes. I also do bbq korean spare ribs in the crock pot. Just google that one to find the recipe.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What about fish? There's lots of great fish recipes out there, will he eat fish?
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Protein shake with a high calories (weight gainers), they have a ton of carbs and protein. Some are very nasty tasting others are not so bad specially if you mix with something other than water. Some have close to 1000 calories per shake.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Steaks?
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Steaks?

^^^Oh yeah steaks,
    can get really expensive
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    But yourself a crock pot cookbook.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Probably not the advice you're looking for...but a grown man shouldn't be so picky. He should either eat the food you make (if you are the primary cook) or make his own food! I would hate making a meal just to accommodate his taste. It's not like the foods he dislikes are abnormal, and it's not like you want to make exotic dishes. My roommate is a picky eater like that, and if I was her boyfriend or husband it would drive me nuts! Couldn't do it!!

When we were kids my dad was the primary cook. He would say "eat or go scratch." If you didn't like what was for dinner, you got up and didn't get to eat! I will raise my kids this way too!
  • uniquewrapz
    uniquewrapz Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    will he eat greek yogurt? The 2X protein yoplait ones are delish and he could add more calories/protein that way...
  • Mia74
    Mia74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How does he do eating healthy fats? For example, avocados, nuts, olive oils? You can add all of them to a basic salad and it will add a ton of calories and still be good for his heart and health.

If he's a picky eater and if he doesn't really want to add the weight there isn't much you can do to change that. And as long as he eats healthy and doesn't binge on crap I wouldn't sweat it. Focus on you and getting healthy.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    does he like peanut butter?? thatll put padding anywhere on the body
  • Lauren_Ellison
    Options
    How does he do with veggies,Tiff?? There are quite a few that are high in protien and can be calorie boosters too. As well as some different type of beans.

Does he try different things at least or does he just automatically say "Nope, don't like it." I have that problem with Evan. He doesn't like anything cold, sandwiches, salads, cold sides, that sort of thing, and hates a LOT of stufff, like will my eat anything with even a tablespoon of mayo, no sourcream, no cream cheese, no jelly. Nothing like that. I've made him things and just not mentioned if one of those is in it and he usually likes it since he doesn't know it's there.

There are also good protien and calorie bars out there that might help him
    Throughout the day. They come in non-sweet flavors too.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Maybe start out by making a list of the things he DOES like, and start building a menu of meals and snacks around that, offering a couple of side dishes at each meal to cover both of your tastes, and making a new dish once a week that he can try and if he really doesn't like it then he can eat leftovers from a previous night, or get a sandwich, but that still gives YOU that night to cook whatever you want and expose your family to new foods. One easy way to add more calories for him is just adding extra servings of grains like rice, having bread and butter on the table, etc.

Good luck!!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe make a main dish that is healthy for both of you and then make him a high-calorie side dish, like mashed potatoes, or mac n cheese?
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Probably not the advice you're looking for...but a grown man shouldn't be so picky. He should either eat the food you make (if you are the primary cook) or make his own food! I would hate making a meal just to accommodate his taste. It's not like the foods he dislikes are abnormal, and it's not like you want to make exotic dishes. My roommate is a picky eater like that, and if I was her boyfriend or husband it would drive me nuts! Couldn't do it!!

When we were kids my dad was the primary cook. He would say "eat or go scratch." If you didn't like what was for dinner, you got up and didn't get to eat! I will raise my kids this way too!

If only it were that simple!! my husband is a basic eater too, potatoes, fish fingers, chicken, thats about it, does not like beef mince, only fatty lamb mince, not keen on pasta etc etc, it's even harder having 6 children, all with different tastes, and me being on a diet!! Gets very hectic... Also, it is not as easy as it this or eat nothing, no mother wants to see her child go to bed hungry!! I think it's all about talking and planning.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    So, here's my dilemma....

My husband works a VERY physical job and he does NOT eat enough throughout his workday, he really needs to put on some weight..... while I am trying to drop some! Uh-oh!

Plus the guy is a picky eater.... no soups, no pastas, nothing "tomato sauce" based, no casseroles of any sort, not whole grains or wheat.... Oy! He really loves healthy meals, grilled chicken and salad for example but thats not helping him gain weight, the same thing gets so boring after a while and firing up the grill every night? What a pain!

I'm looking for meals for him (high calorie, filling and tasty) AND meals for me (low cal in moderation, healthy and full of the nutrients I need while getting in shape). This seems so difficult! But I am sure I'm making it harder than it needs to be....

I LOVE using my crock pot, it's so easy to come home and just serve it up...any suggestions there?

Why does he need to put on weight? If he is underweight, is there an underlying health issue?
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork in the crock pot....eat as a taco with corn tortillas and shredded raw cabbage, or pulled pork sliders with sweet potato fries.