Suggestions for healthy low cal lunches

Options
2»

Replies

• muadib69
    muadib69 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add two cups of sugar-free Jello to your lunch. Its 5 calories each and will fill you up.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    chicken sandwich. add bell peppers and avocado. yum.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    I eat tuna sandwich on an Earthgrains thin bun or low cal bread. I add lots of veggies and/or lettuce. Veggie straws make a great side dish for me for lunch too.

I also do tuna with lots of veggies, I switch off between wheat bread and flat wraps. Also pop chips are great too, love the veggie straws too!
  • Flow1984
    Options
    Glad I seen this, I love turkey tacos. I just planned them for tomorrow's dinner prior to seeing you post. Glad they are light on the calories!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I usually have a sandwich made with low-calorie bread (70 for 2 slices), deli meat (60-70 per serving), and mustard (5) or hummus (25 per tbsp) with baby carrots on the side (35). Comes out to around 200 calories.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    6 ince subway turkey and ham, with veggies no mayo and Lays Light chips ... 455 calories!
  • s0jersgirl143
    s0jersgirl143 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've fallen in love with the Jersey Mike's Philly Steak sub in a tub, it's 330 calories and really filling!
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Veggie Steamers by Green Giant are low in calorie and sodium. I also found a few Smart Ones that aren't too bad.

I eat these alot too. I roast some chicken breast is various seasonings and then cut up. You can also add a splash of low sodium soy sauce to totally change the flavor.

Grilled cheese with fat free cheese wheat bread and ham it very good too.
  • debte
    debte Posts: 4
    Options
    I make a dip with one can black beans, one can of corn, and a jar of Pace Salsa. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. to taste. I then add this to a low calorie tortilla shell with chopped spinach leaves and fat free sour cream. Yummy, filling, and low in calories.
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had a few M&S good for you microwave meals for lunch. Today I had a mushroom risotto and I think it was 340 calories and it was really yummy.
  • Ncloutlaw25
    Ncloutlaw25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive been alternating between chicken breasts and salmon! Any time I cook in the evening I will always make one extra for my lunch the next day. I will also have lowfat cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt for lunch in addition to whatever meal I am eating. I am also a fan of the healthy choice steamers microwaveable meals. Try the whiskey steak; it is delicious!
  • kimgravel
    Options
    sfl!!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    2 ounces of smoked turkey on light rye bread with a light garlic and herb Laughing Cow wedge spread on the bread, and topped with whatever veggies you like - I top mine with cucumbers, red bell peppers, red onion, and banana peppers. Very filling, and only about 200 calories.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the Flat Out sandwich wraps. Use lite Laughing Cow instead of mayo, some sliced turkey breast, julienned carrots and cucumber, roll it up and it makes a great crunchy, filling sandwich.
  • dsschnabel
    Options
    Hi! Can you give an idea of how you made the carrot hummus? I have recently been tuned into hummus with roasted red pepper, which is really good, but your carrot hummus sounds marvelous! Also what kind of calorie count might it have? Good idea!:flowerforyou:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been rolling up all natural real turkey in low fat swiss cheese/carrots
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe for the carrot-hummus sandwiches:

Ingredients:
    1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tablespoons olive oil (I eliminate this but add to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    coarse salt
    1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    whole-grain bread (I use 100-calorie flat breads)
    ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced

Directions:
    1. In a large skillet combine carrots, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil (if using), ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, then reduce to medium and cook until carrots are tender and glazed, about 15 minutes. Add more water if pan becomes dry before carrots are cooked.

2. Transfer to a food processor, add remaining tablespoon oil (if using), lemon juice and 3 tablespoons water and pulse until almost smooth. Add chickpeas and pulse until thick and slightly chunky. Season with salt.

3. For each sandwich, spoon mixture onto bread. Top with a tomato slice and close.

Note: Carrot mixture will keep refrigerated for one week.

Serves: 5
    For each serving: 274 calories, 55 g carbs, 2 g fat, 13 g protein (calculated without olive oil)

Enjoy!!
  • dsschnabel
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe! Again, it sounds wonderful and I can't wait to try it! Thank you for responding!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I created and it is good! I based it off a South Beach diet recipe.

I call it...Tomato Chicken

4-8 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    1 64oz 100% Tomato Juice
    1 medium white onion
    3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    Lemon Pepper
    whatever seasons/spices you like, I used Cumin, Garlic Powder, and some pepper

Mix the tomato juice, chopped white onion (about half), Worcestershire sauce. You may add whatever other veggies you prefer, it is not limited to just onions. Add spices to thawed chicken and pour the tomato mixture over the breasts. Make sure the chicken is completely submerged. You can do this in a pan or bowl, either works just fine. You may not need 64 oz and you can always used leftover juice later. Stick the chicken breasts in the refrigerator over night (at least 8 hours). For more flavor, marinate 15-24 hrs.

After marinating, place chicken breasts on a greased or foiled cookie sheet. Drizzle one tbsp of tomato mixture onto each chicken breast. Sprinkle each breast with Lemon Pepper (be sure to include some of the veggies in the tomato mixture). Bake in oven @ 350 degrees for 25 -30 min. voila!

1 breast = 110 cal
    tbsp tomato juice = 3 cal

I usually paired green beans with this or some other green veggie.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I make a dip with one can black beans, one can of corn, and a jar of Pace Salsa. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. to taste. I then add this to a low calorie tortilla shell with chopped spinach leaves and fat free sour cream. Yummy, filling, and low in calories.

Wow, that sounds awesome :-)