Reaching 1200 calories

Options
I've been doing the lean cuisine diet; eating a small breakfast and a lean cuisine meal for lunch and dinner, and small healthy snacks in-between. But as if lately I've been only eating when I feel hungry and my body doesn't show signs that I'm hungry until I start to feel nauseous. I've been forcing myself lately to reach my 1200 calorie goal limit and it's been hard.I usually only eat about 800 calories a day. I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. Is there anyway to overcome this? I feel like I'm going to have to start eating higher calorie meals in order to reach my 1200 calorie goal but i want to eat healthy.

Replies

• FitBirdie
    FitBirdie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is also a challenge for me. I usually eat around 700-900 calories a day, so I am trying to slowly increase my caloric intake while making sure I'm eating the right foods for good nutrition.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I've been doing the lean cuisine diet; eating a small breakfast and a lean cuisine meal for lunch and dinner, and small healthy snacks in-between. But as if lately I've been only eating when I feel hungry and my body doesn't show signs that I'm hungry until I start to feel nauseous. I've been forcing myself lately to reach my 1200 calorie goal limit and it's been hard.I usually only eat about 800 calories a day. I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat. Is there anyway to overcome this? I feel like I'm going to have to start eating higher calorie meals in order to reach my 1200 calorie goal but i want to eat healthy.
    I am in the same boat. And even after forcing myself to eat peanutbutter, a banana, and milk, i still barely make 1100 cals. I don't know why it's happening
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Just a quick FYI that this post will not go well.
    So on with it...

Most 1200 calorie diets fall below your BMR.
    This is bad.
    You lose lean mass as well as fat.

Boost the calories up to 1600 a day and lose the same weight at a more sustainable level and you not only get better nutrients but your energy levels will be high enough to get the best from your training.

As you lose weight and improve lean mass you will be able to eat more.
  • Kbtucker3
    Options
    At first it was hard for me to only eat 1200 calories and now I am having a hard time making 1200 calories; it just seems like so much food to eat. Some days I make the goal and most days I fall below 1200 calories eaten.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    but i want to eat healthy.

so ditch the lean cuisine.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone struggles at different levels, and things that work for one person will not work for someone else. Having said that, what works for me is keeping my body guessing. So I try to make sure my net calories never go below 1200, but some days I can't eat enough. So for me, as long as the majority of days are between 1100-1400, I cut myself some slack. Try adding some string cheese or some salad with your entree (and don't worry about fat free dressing) to bulk up and add some calories.
  • kmaurath
    kmaurath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster about ditching the LC. Also, try introducing more natural, whole foods that have more nutrition versus the stripped diet-type non fat, low caloric foods
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods instead of worrying over volume. And ditch lean cuisine if you can. If you make your own meal not only can you make it taste good to you (those things taste like cardboard to me) but you can control the calorie content. You don't have to eat diet food. And if you gradually add in your calories your stomach will stretch to accommodate, over time. It was hard for me at first, but so worth it not to be eating toast, yogurt, 100 cal popcorn, 4 oz protein and 4 oz veggie every day of my life. I started here at 900 calories and now I'm at 1440-- I have lost over 20 lbs since I increased my intake.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have meals that are 1200 cals... LOL

I'm not sure what to suggest here. If your not hungry and your eating that little you really need to introduce more foods. It sounds counterproductive but if you really are eating that little it will help.
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    lean cuisine's are not the healthiest things at all. I have this problem as well but I am also on an appetite suppressant. I have stayed away from fast food now for a few days and feel 100% better, I also ditched a lot of process food for making things and freezing them. Try some of the recipes posted in the forums, with that being said be careful with them I have came across some that are just not good at all.hey and your in the balitmore area so am I if you ever need a shoulder you know where to leave a message.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ok...this is a fat girl speaking...how in the hell do you have issues eating 1200 calories? ? Hello we had to eat a **** ton more than that to get where we are! Eat REAL FOOD!
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have meals that are 1200 cals... LOL

I'm not sure what to suggest here. If your not hungry and your eating that little you really need to introduce more foods. It sounds counterproductive but if you really are eating that little it will help.

yes you do, Crush!
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i sometimes have problem too when I eat very 'clean' and healthy. And yet, on the days I eat pizza, or dessert, or drink i easily go over 1400, 1500 cals. Try to find a balance....Eat fatty (healthy!) nuts, maybe get protein drinks for extra cals. Whole wheat pasta is healthy, yet still higher in calories too.
  • simplebeauty
    simplebeauty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Set up a "schedule" as to when you eat...if you wait until you are nauseated then it's too late...your body is going into famine mode....if you find "it hard to reach 1200" just double up on what you are having...have 2 tbsps of peanut butter with 2 apples, or add raisins to celery and peanut butter.
    Ideally I try to keep my meals around the 350-400 cal mark and my meals around the 150-200 mark

Picture your body like a "car"...if you waited until the tank was dry to fill up...you'd be SOL and stranded somewhere...
    your body's metabolism is like a car...it needs fuel to work and if fed effectively it will use fat as fuel as well and build lean muscle, leading to a slim, trim and healthy figure...
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry then don't eat. Most folks wish they could get full off lean cuisines.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at Lean cuisine.

Please eat real food, and more of it.

I say this with love. I am a junk food junkie, but I try to avoid the freezer section.

Convenience is great, but with a little more effort and FLAVOR, you can lose weight-- and KEEP IT OFF. <3
  • effiek
    effiek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i have the same problem--I like shakeology personally, because i can put a banana and some peanut butter in and it's a pretty solid meal!
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at all? If so you should be eating the cal they add for that too not just your 1200. Your body if most likely shutting down with as little cal as your taking in. That is inless your in bed or sitting all day. Throw some nuts on stuff or make some yummy smoothies to get more in. I need to work on these things my self to but I'm getting there. Good Luck!
  • madison5302
    madison5302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster about ditching the LC. Also, try introducing more natural, whole foods that have more nutrition versus the stripped diet-type non fat, low caloric foods

I agree!

7 words: Eat food, not so much, mostly veggies.

I don't always reach my nutrition goals, but I always keep them in site.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    If you are in a pinch and have to eat LC meals make some steamed veggies (microwave if need be) and add them to the frozen meal after it's cooked.