10-Day Juice Fast

Options

Replies

• Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is a group on this site for jjuicing and it had some inspirational stories on it. I am often surprised how judgmental people can be on this support site. If you have done the research and meet your nutritional requirements. You will be fine. I have had friends that did 30 to 90 day juice fasts for religious reasons without I'll effect. Good luck! Go check out the group section
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is a group on this site for jjuicing and it had some inspirational stories on it. I am often surprised how judgmental people can be on this support site. If you have done the research and meet your nutritional requirements. You will be fine. I have had friends that did 30 to 90 day juice fasts for religious reasons without I'll effect. Good luck! Go check out the group section
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There really is no reason to juice fast. If the concept is to "clear your body of toxins" that's what your kidneys and liver are for. If it's for weight loss, then you'll lose water weight, but it can/will return once you start eating normal. And for many that do this, they don't take in the essentials they need to have an effective metabolism.
    If weight is the issue, then address the real problem.................you're eating too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Even worse than water weight being lost.......her muscles will be broken down to compensate for the protein that she's not eating during this metabolism-killing plan of hers. She'll gain even more fat than before because she has no muscle mass to keep her metabolism stoked. in this day and age with such easy access to the latest peer-reviewed research...there really is no excuse for this kind of ignorance.

She's looking for the magic bullet.....no such thing.....she just needs to burn more calories than she eats. Her "challenge" would be much more respectable if it were exercise-based.

You don't seem to be listening to what's she's saying - she is not looking for a 'magic bullet', she is looking to load her body with super-nutrients with mega doses of vegetables and fruits in a juice form - many would argue it's MUCH healthier than a meat based diet given that most meat proteins in the marketplace are imbued with additives, nitrates, and the cattle or chicken have been given hormones, and mass doses of antibiotics which are passed on to consumer.
    It is NOT a metabolism killing program - If you are choosing the right balance of fruits and vegetables to juice, you are getting adequate protein (not excess protein as most americans do), adequate calories, and super high quantities of natural sources of vitamins, antioxidants, and anti-inflamatories(helps many arthritis sufferers).
    Many physicians DO support this type of program, as long as it is undertaken carefully and mindfully. Because it is outside the box do not dismiss this unless you have REALLY done the research. Check out what Dr. Fuhrman says about this. No, I'm not a juicer, but I do respect those that choose this method to address health issues, and have seen people have great results for medical issues incorporating this type of program on a limited basis.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump! I AM SOO LOVING THIS.
    MOMMY MOTION,YOU GOT IT GOIN ON GIRL!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's fine to disagree, but dangerous it's not! How could something so full of vitamins and nutrients and straight from a garden to your glass be dangerous! We are not talking about V8 juice and Tropicana...this is so much more than that.
    If done long enough, many may not get in essential proteins and fats. And low calories from juicing can disrupt metabolism if it's stayed on for a long enough time.
    I'll bet those who criticize such a healthy diet ate some much processed, garbage with things you can't even pronounce on the label recently...a few days on juice will do everybody some good!
    Diets don't work. You are assuming too much with your statement of eating garbage, etc. SCIENCE has show through clinical study that it's not needed. Unless you can come up with some peer reviewed clinical study showing that juicing eliminates the "bad" from the body, then it's just anecdotal.

IDEA Fitness member
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    People are scared of not eating. They get all panicky at the thought of going without their food for even one day. Starvation, they scream! Metabolism killer! I bet they have done no research on the matter.

I have done it, it cured me. That is all the scientific research I need. It worked for me.

Why people will jump all over someone and basically call them stupid for a healthy choice they are making makes no sense to me. If you don't agree with what she is doing then say nothing. If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all.

Maybe you don't have any medical issues you need to clear up, maybe you just need to lose weight. Until you have stood in someone's shoes who has a medical issue and desperately needs it resolved then don't judge.

Doctors and their medicine did not help me, in fact they are what caused my problem. Juicing resolved it.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    3. Plant matter will never have the same amount of protein by volume that a piece of lean meat or fish does. A body needs protein every day.

Have you ever looked at the protein in hemp? Add a scoop of hemp protein powder into the juice, and it's an instant 21 grams of water-soluable protein.

Where are the studies that prove it to be dangerous or a metabolism-killer? I'd like to see them.
  • christine0883
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations and goodluck to challenging yourself on a weight-loss program. I, myself underwent the same thing. What I did was after office hours, I do jogging around the neighborhood. Who says that jogging can only be done at the break of dawn? I do it every afternoon right after doing daily tasks at work. Exercise is not enough to reach the ideal weight I wanted, so, I did juicing of veggies like carrots, tomatoes, cucumber and fruits as well. What's good with juicing is that it extract the fiber and natural vitamins out of the veggies and fruits.

I am even more thankful when I found this very reasonable juicer at an online store, maybe you should also check it out. Just click on http://www.juicerreviews101.com/compare-best-juicers
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a very naive question but i know nothing about Juice fasts etc, could one not just eat the raw fruit and vegetables as opposed to juicing them? I don't understand why you need to juice them and loose all that fibre?
  • dhurley88
    dhurley88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, before watching I was NOT a fan of juice fasts. But this guy who went off all his meds and was full and people even said the juice tasted ok has made me wonder. I don't have a juicer but I plan to invest in one when I get the money and try it. Let me know how it goes and what recipes you use! Good luck :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find the fact that people are getting their feelings hurt and upset over juicing hilarious? I think all extremes are dangerous to promote through a site like this. On another note: please dont use the arguement that "Many doctors aprove" the fact is, if they dont have a specialty in nutrition in excerise they dont really know what they are talking about. Just because they went to medical school doesnt mean they are an expert in nutrition and the effects of fad diets like "juicing"

Any if you are wondering, yes I did just meat to stir the pot :-)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People are scared of not eating. They get all panicky at the thought of going without their food for even one day. Starvation, they scream! Metabolism killer! I bet they have done no research on the matter.

I have done it, it cured me. That is all the scientific research I need. It worked for me.

Why people will jump all over someone and basically call them stupid for a healthy choice they are making makes no sense to me. If you don't agree with what she is doing then say nothing. If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all.

Maybe you don't have any medical issues you need to clear up, maybe you just need to lose weight. Until you have stood in someone's shoes who has a medical issue and desperately needs it resolved then don't judge.

Doctors and their medicine did not help me, in fact they are what caused my problem. Juicing resolved it.
    Many say HCG worked for them. I believe that unbiased research is much more important than taking some people's word for it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, before watching I was NOT a fan of juice fasts. But this guy who went off all his meds and was full and people even said the juice tasted ok has made me wonder. I don't have a juicer but I plan to invest in one when I get the money and try it. Let me know how it goes and what recipes you use! Good luck :)

"There's a sucker born every minute" ~PT Barnum.

So you threw out your rational beliefs after watching a glorified info-mercial? Why?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to be listening to what's she's saying - she is not looking for a 'magic bullet', she is looking to load her body with super-nutrients with mega doses of vegetables and fruits in a juice form - many would argue it's MUCH healthier than a meat based diet given that most meat proteins in the marketplace are imbued with additives, nitrates, and the cattle or chicken have been given hormones, and mass doses of antibiotics which are passed on to consumer.
    You know what you're right, because the agriculture industry has NEVER sprayed bad stuff on their crops.
    It is NOT a metabolism killing program - If you are choosing the right balance of fruits and vegetables to juice, you are getting adequate protein (not excess protein as most americans do), adequate calories, and super high quantities of natural sources of vitamins, antioxidants, and anti-inflamatories(helps many arthritis sufferers).
    What's your basis for claiming that most Americans get too much protein? I'd like to see whatever diet they're on because I have to consciously try to get enough protein in my diet, and usually find myself going over on carbs if I'm not careful.

I don't have a problem with juicing, I just don't see how it's somehow better than just eating the whole foods before they went into the blender first. If you're getting adequate calories and appropriate macro and micro nutrients (something I suspect most people trying this do not do) I would think you would be fine, but chewing and digestion already do a pretty good job of juicing your food as it is.

Can I put an ice cream sundae in a blender and have that on the diet? Because Coldstone makes some pretty good shakes I've been craving.

EDIT: Wanted to add -
    We don't need nearly as much protein as Americans think we do and the reason a majority of Americans are oevrweight is because they eat too much junk...I think we can all agree on that.
    How can you prove...where did you find...what possible...ugh my brain hurts now.
  • goneundone
    goneundone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh how I love the debate this has caused! Thank you to all the supporters and also those that raise questions about the safety of the program! It educates us and promotes research. Please keep in mind that I will only be juicing for ten days.. it's not the end of the world or my health. When I'm hungry I will drink juice, when I'm thirsty I will drink juice. It will be tough, but it will be an opportunity to give my digestive system a break! I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Preparation Day 1:
    Breakfast Smoothie: Fresh banana, frozen blueberries, fresh ripe mango and water. Blended.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

"There's a sucker born every minute" ~PT Barnum.

So you threw out your rational beliefs after watching a glorified info-mercial? Why?

I prefer to chew my food!
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking some other person's word for it. I did it. It worked for me. That's all the proof I need.

Here's the deal. Different things work for different people and that is okay. I don't eat meat, I would go so far as saying I don't think it's healthy, especially in large portions, but I'm not going to go on someone's post and start talking down to them and demanding scientific proof that their meat eating diet is good for them. If you eat a certain way and it works for you then that's great! Sometimes I think people need to take a step back and realize that there isn't necessarily only one right or wrong way to go about things.

Good luck to those that juice, and good luck to those that don't! I hope everyone finds what works best for them. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not taking some other person's word for it. I did it. It worked for me. That's all the proof I need.

Here's the deal. Different things work for different people and that is okay. I don't eat meat, I would go so far as saying I don't think it's healthy, especially in large portions, but I'm not going to go on someone's post and start talking down to them and demanding scientific proof that their meat eating diet is good for them. If you eat a certain way and it works for you then that's great! Sometimes I think people need to take a step back and realize that there isn't necessarily only one right or wrong way to go about things.

Good luck to those that juice, and good luck to those that don't! I hope everyone finds what works best for them. :)
    Sorry but anecdotes can lead people who are desperate to lose weight to try something like this that can be even worse than where they may be now. At least with scientific evidence, they have a chance to see how actual studies conclude results based studying it. It would be irresponsible to say that just because something worked for you, that it may work for someone else. If that person were a diabetic and didn't let you know that, what kind of danger would they be in if you recommended juicing? See why studies are important?

IDEA Fitness member
  • sail059
    Options
    Hey there!

I have a few Juicing books myself. I bought a juicer read the literature and was all about it, until it actually came down to drinking it. If you have tasty recipes I would love to do a cleanse. I am just finishing renew life's all natural diet start cleanse. Its in capsule form and the dietary restrictions are pretty relaxed. I have been doing non-dairy fruit & veggie smoothies everyday though. I use coconut or hemp milk, fruit, veggies, spirullina, and a little bit of ice. I think the concept of juicing is great but I like smoothies because they offer more fiber. But I would like to do them both in combination.
  • sail059
    Options
    GOOOOO ORGANIC! yay, that was suppose to be a sort of cheer. In one of your comments you made a sarcastic remark about crops never being contaminated or sprayed...I forget your exact words and I have to say, I hear ya man! However, if you go organic your pesticide worries will abate. Have no fear organic is non-genetically engineered : ) or doused in harmful chemicals ; ) yes its more expensive but surely its worth it.