What do you do when you let yourself down?

Options
I ate a stupid amount of calories yesterday and I am so disappointed in myself for being so silly and eating the way I did especially after a boozed filled weekend :( I want to go forward not backwards!!

I am certainly not wanting to eat like that today and I am determined to stay on track, but my question is, what do you do the day after you eat too much or is there anything you can do to help your body get back on track?

Thanks

Trudy

Replies

• CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too a few months ago and I told myself I had to burn these too-many-calories. So I did double exercise the following day so that I would FEEL what I had done and how long it takes to burn these calories. This "punishment" was working for me. Now I eat what I burn, not the other way round
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. But back on track today... it happens, I think it will always happen to me to be honest. Some days I think I just need to eat everything in site. Bit then I just get right back on track after... not a good habit but it happens :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    When I mess up, I DON'T BEAT MYSELF UP!

It is but a day, you will have failures & successes in any journey. Just look at it as a learning curve, yesterday you learnt something :)

Russ
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    First off, don't beat yourself up over it. I know the feeling of being disappointed with myself when I have a 'bad' day but bad days happen and all you can do is get back on track the next day and move on.

I've lost 50lbs over the course of 18 months and you can betcha they weren't all good days! The way I see it is that if I hadn't had bad days, I probably wouldn't be where I am now because I'd have given up already.

I still have bad days, it's part of life. I just try to get in some more exercise and cut back for the next few days to limit any damage done.

You say you're determined, well there you go! Write off yesterday and focus on today. Best of luck x
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I heard a saying once that helps me get back on track after a binge...

"If you got a speeding ticket at the beginning of your trip, you wouldnt continue to break every speed limit on your trip because youd stuffed up.... " and so true...

Try and see if you can maybe improve your numbers on your weekly goal by eating super light and excersising as much as possible... Even if you just stay the same this week thered be no damage done.

One small step back isnt a bad thing, you can remember how you felt today when you are tempted next and hopefully that will deter you.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't beat myself up. I keep my head up and I keep going forward. The key is never to give up. This is a lifestyle not a diet and like life it has room for mistakes or treats or breaks and I know that without them and most definitley without the ability to recognize them I would never be successfull at getting healthier! So I take it with a grain of salt.. err a glass of water and I go right back at it no matter how bad I screwed up.
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    this APP will not judge you - every day is a new day - things are a process, not an event...get back on the APP and work it! You can do it!!!!
  • psmith64
    psmith64 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just think of my own goals, know that I really want to acheive them and then go and look at some success stories.

That normally does get me back on track, as I do want to get to my end goal, and this is defiantely the place to help acheive it if you are honest with yourself.

Never worry about a slip up, we do all get them, but if you are clear with your goals, and really do want to achieve them, you will !!

Regards

Paul
  • psmith64
    psmith64 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First off, don't beat yourself up over it. I know the feeling of being disappointed with myself when I have a 'bad' day but bad days happen and all you can do is get back on track the next day and move on.

I've lost 50lbs over the course of 18 months and you can betcha they weren't all good days! The way I see it is that if I hadn't had bad days, I probably wouldn't be where I am now because I'd have given up already.

I still have bad days, it's part of life. I just try to get in some more exercise and cut back for the next few days to limit any damage done.

You say you're determined, well there you go! Write off yesterday and focus on today. Best of luck x

Great words of wisdom
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    agreed! I have just felt so bad I actually wanted to cry and that is so silly!

Thanks so much for your help :)

Trudy x
  • jam1010
    jam1010 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was like that yesterday, im doing good for the past weeks and i screwed up in one day.i almost want to give up. but as i realized, i have come so far and i don't wanna give up. i still know i can do it.
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I over ate on my calories terribly yesterday, I was so hungry all day no matter the amount of water I drank. By the end of the day I had gone over by almost 400 calories. What did I do...after sitting around and feeling guilty about it for part of the afternoon I jumped on my stationary bike and peddled my calories away. I felt much better afterwards, burning off my extra calories and getting an extra workout in for the week. When I over induldge I make sure that I throw in an extra workout to compensate. Every once in a while I will let a few calories slide, one day in a blue moon is not going to hurt. Plus, having a free day every so often helps with not falling off the wagon completely and going backwards. Good luck!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Get back up again.
  • EIEIannone
    EIEIannone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Make the most of those calories!!! You should have a spike in energy, so go on an extra long run or do an extra workout. That's what I do. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have so many things I do since it happens all the time.
    I just pick up, gather my energies and move forward.

And over time, these lapses don't seem to happen as often.
    It's about progress - not perfection.
  • JCN_1103
    Options
    Dust yourself off and keep going. It happens to everyone, you just have to move on.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just move on. Today I hope to get 2 work outs in...It is what it is, we all have to live too.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I used to try and make up for it the next day. Not the best idea I've had!
    Just get back up again. Things are going to come up and special occasions will continue to happen and food shouldn't ruin them. Your body will work it out by itself :)
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Look at the week as a whole. I will be 184 over cals today (pub lunch and glass of wine, but it's my one lunchtime I don't go to the gym, and it was worth it), but yesterday I was 515 under. And the rest of the week I'm going to the gym and will burn off 400+ each day. You've got the rest of the week to rectify things, so keep on going and don't give up.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Alfred: Why do we fall Master Bruce? So that we may learn to pick ourselves back up.

Don't beat yourself up, falling gives you the greatest opportunity of all, and that is to rise again and keep going. Do this and you will be all the stronger.