Replies

• Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I only drink water and Arizona's Diet Green Tea :smile:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The down side is that there are so many people who will believe this non sense and wonder why they take in so much sugar and are overweight.

Nobody is that stupid.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I gave up soft drinks for Lent last year. I still drink a Diet Coke occasionally but I went from having 1 to 2 soft drinks per day to maybe 2 or 3 per month if I go out to eat or something. I think they're ok in moderation but I'm really glad that I gave them up. It's saved me money and it seems like I crave sweets less now than I did when I used to drink them. Plus, it kinda freaked me out when I saw my dad clean corrosion off of my car battery with a Coke!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Coke, like all soda diet or otherwise, is poison to me.
    I do not trust what these scammers are lacing these drinks with.
    NO THANKS!
    Just pure water please.....

I have started getting ionized water from my chiropractor and it does a body good for balancing pH levels in the body.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I'm hooked on diet soda. It's been harder to try to quit drinking diet Dr pepper than it ever was to quit smoking!!

I am also a diet dr pep fan..I try to have 1 a day. Now if I could only do the same with the cigs:sad:
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Glad someone else has their sensible head on today:
    Well, actually, soda WILL hydrate you. That isn't a lie.

Yes, it's full of sugar and calories, but also water.

People are allowed to make their own decisions. Coke has been around a heck of a lot longer than this obesity problem. And plenty of people are overweight who never drink soda of any kind. Or eat fast food. In fact, I know many people who are overweight who probably eat healthier foods than most people on this site, just more than they should.

Coke is a company trying to make money. Are they supposed to advertise that if you drink the product you'll be fat?

This. I mean, seriously people. Get a grip.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Very true! I also cringe when I see the Snickers commercials advertising that their candy bar "really satisfies" and is a good way for one to refuel their body for the day. And, just like Coke ads, people will believe it!

Hey, a snickers bar works great after running 10 miles or so... ;)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The down side is that there are so many people who will believe this non sense and wonder why they take in so much sugar and are overweight.

Nobody is that stupid.

On a completely unrelated note your username cracks me up...

Rather than using coke as a rehydration method a better (and much cheaper) method is to make your own isotonic drinks at home. Just mix say 50g of sugar, a litre of warm water, a pinch of salt and 200 - 250 ml of sugar free squash. Put the mixture in the fridge to cool and it's good to go. It's great for the gym and training as well.

if you want a higher potassium content then use half unsweetened fruit juice mixed with water and a little salt. It has a higher calorie count though...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Very true! I also cringe when I see the Snickers commercials advertising that their candy bar "really satisfies" and is a good way for one to refuel their body for the day. And, just like Coke ads, people will believe it!

Because of the trans fats, I don't eat Snickers anymore. But look at the NI on the label. For a candy bar, it's actually pretty good for you: decent amounts of protein and fiber, to begin with.

Best choice? No. Health food? No. But the devil? Eh. Not so much.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    If it's in an advertisement...it's a lie.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

Nobody is that stupid.

Oh, yes they are. I've seen them on MFP.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I'm hooked on diet soda. It's been harder to try to quit drinking diet Dr pepper than it ever was to quit smoking!!

^^This is so true for me. I could easily quit smoking but for some reason I cannot STOP drinking diet coke. :S
    Slowly I have come to drink less of it though, but I must say, I do not think I will ever fully stop. When I was pregnant I did stop drinking ti because of the caffeine and stuff, but right after I had a nice can of pop, even when I was in the hospital after I had my son. I wanted it soooo bad.
    weird, because even I know what it does to your body but cant seem to stop drinking it. Oh well, if I were to cut out everything I enjoy then what is the point on living?
  • heatherterp
    Options
    this fall they had some good commercials about hydration. picture this kids sports team hot day coach offers a gatorade or some type of juice / sports drink. The kid asks the coach why not just give us water.

Smart kid. Have not seen that ad in a while.
    I quit diet pepsi a one or mare can a day habit cold turkey on August 7, 2011. I said " I think I will TRY to give up pepsi." have had a few sips since and I do not like the taste. Only time I have a soda now is if it mixed in with alcohol. Alcohol is not good either, but a drink every now and again ... baby steps :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    In the United States, a blatant lie in an advertisement is illegal and companies get fined and ads get pulled. YES, it does happen.

Ads exaggerate. They play up the good and ignore the bad. They manipulate. But they generally don't flat-out lie.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    In the United States, a blatant lie in an advertisement is illegal and companies get fined and ads get pulled. YES, it does happen.

Ads exaggerate. They play up the good and ignore the bad. They manipulate. But they generally don't flat-out lie.

I am aware of this. :flowerforyou:

Let me elaborate...I equate exaggeration and omission with lying. Just a personal conviction.
  • rml_16
    Options
    this fall they had some good commercials about hydration. picture this kids sports team hot day coach offers a gatorade or some type of juice / sports drink. The kid asks the coach why not just give us water.

Plain water doesn't replenish electrolytes. And electrolyte imbalance can cause death. Excessive sweating can cause an electrolyte imbalance.

Sports drinks have their place in the world. If you're just hanging out in your living room, they aren't necessary. But if you're out running around in hot weather for hours, exercising or playing sports, they can be a life-saver.
  • vikL
    vikL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight you do your homework and figure out what's good and bad for you and look up how many calories are in everything. Unfortunately kids aren't thinking that way and get suckered in and quickly addicted. Then it's just one more thing to give up some day :-(
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think what the initial poster means is there are alot of people out there who will see the advertisement and believe that soda is a fine replacement for water. I know my sister was like that, she hated water and felt that since soda has water in it, it was the same thing. NOW OBVIOUSLY that is not the case, and MOST people can deduct that Coke is not "a healthy choice" but there ARE many people who will see that and figure it must be true (even if it's just so they can justify it).

Over all, it IS advertising, meant to sell products and it's not "false" because in a technical sense it will hydrate you. I mean if you were stuck on an island and there was no water but there was an unlimited supply of coke you would survive...
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The number one ingredient in my diet Coke is "carbonated WATER". There have been many days in my life that the only drink I've had all day is diet coke (yes I'm a hardcore addict). I have yet to die of dehydration. Yes caffeine is a diuretic but only to a point.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mm soda! Oh how I miss you running through me

Mmmmeee tooo!!!